joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
06z Models 2/12/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

user13

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6z GFS is no longer dry. Dropping close 1.5 inches of liquid thrs the area. It now sees the CCB at 48.

Takes the center 50 miles SE of AC to 977 SE of the BM to 974 at CC

.7 at KNYC looks to be frozen on the front then at 42 as 850 s punch in there looks to be about .4 of liquid then by 48 the city and coast will flip back and there could b 2 to 4 on the backend in spots . Looks in line with other guidance now.

Man upton loves toying around with Nassau this winter. We have been back and forth with warning/watch/advisory several times. The last storm did not work out in our favor (on the south shore) I think this will be different however. My call here is 8 which is low end warning and it's going to be rain sleet glacier which should make for the worst shoveling in the area

Models definitely ticked west at 6z.

yea the 6z crosses E.LI. also im banking on very little back end snowfall, I would say 2 inches tops from that and maybe 4" from the front end thump. overall, not enthusiastic with this storm for SW Suffolk county ralph. atleast coming home from work at 5 tomorrow wont be that bad now if its rain

yea the 6z crosses E.LI. also im banking on very little back end snowfall, I would say 2 inches tops from that and maybe 4" from the front end thump. overall, not enthusiastic with this storm for SW Suffolk county ralph. atleast coming home from work at 5 tomorrow wont be that bad now if its rain

Why are you so negative about this storm? If you go back and look at the thread for jan/11 we were pretty negative on li watching thunder sleet. Then it's started snowing at 3-4" an hour for hours and 15" later it was a memorable storm. While my 8" call is conservative it's more likely to bust low then high. The heaviest precip on both sides could/should fall as snow. Kind of a thump light rain thump.

Even so the idea remains essentially the same with the front end thump to taint and then maybe wraparound snows. 

in the past 11 years "good" wrap around snows that produce over 6" widespread only happened three time 2013, 2011 and 2002 that was. im not seeing any clear signals that we're going to get something that would beat the 5-6 deform wraparound band that I had on Christmas 2002. therefore, im sticking with my call of 6" from the frontend thump combined with whatever wraparound snows we'll receive here on LI

Why are you so negative about this storm? If you go back and look at the thread for jan/11 we were pretty negative on li watching thunder sleet. Then it's started snowing at 3-4" an hour for hours and 15" later it was a memorable storm. While my 8" call is conservative it's more likely to bust low then high. The heaviest precip on both sides could/should fall as snow. Kind of a thump light rain thump.

I am not im just saying to have intense wrap around snows you need a perfectly closed off H5 Lp as it passes LI and you have to hope the storm isn't booking as most of the storms that have been progged to be slow movers ended up being faster. im just not comfortable at all going in on "wraparound CCB" snows. betting all my cards on the thump and the wraparound whatever it be will be a bonus

Shows you how difficult this setup is. RGEM has now had a couple wild swings. I'd wait for the12z and this evening when we enter the short range models wheelhouse should be very interesting. I think the track is going to be a nowcasting scenario where we just have to watch it unfold.

Agree there are still some surprises on the way. I would wait for anyone out of well nw to make a final call. In fact I would wait until tomorrow afternoon. This storm is going to be memorable for many reasons. Unlike the January storms this is going to turn some heads

Earthlight how much of the RGEM/NAM do you think is sleet?

The 4km NAM doesn't change over for most areas in NE NJ/NYC until almost 1.25" liquid equivalent has fallen. The RGEM is showing 30mm falling as snow.

I don't think there will be much sleet..maybe for a period..and then rain. But these 06z hires models were snowy.

The overnight trend on the GFS was by far the most encouraging because it makes you understand that it isn't just the mesoscale models seeing the overall development and evolution of the banding. The GFS now has a significant, well developed cold conveyor belt. It is only a matter of time before it starts adjusting its thermal profiles a tick colder.

With the classic closed H5 low tracking in a textbook spot south of Long Island...if the mid level taint can be scoured out by the time this CCB is ripping overhead, all bets are off. You can look at the perfect positioning of the mid level centers including the H7 low on this map and draw your own meteorological conclusions. 

f48.gif

Archived