Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/27 Forecast Threats

am19psu

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Details to be worked out but main point is the storm remains for 10 straight runs. As others said the setup is great, and the 18z was just crapola. The fear is a miss not a mix.

Well said Tony. Fact is we've seen a storm depicted for this time frame for several days now - that's a very strong signal. Other models have detected the threat and are responding according. The timing of the phase is going to be the potential issue. Ridge out West is nice but the axis is a bit east of where we'd like it for a guaranteed snow. Near-miss is definitely an option that can't be ruled out at this time.

another big diff on this run was the reappearance of the 50/50 low that the 18z kicked out

Yeah, that 50-50 helps hold the confluence over sern canada and keeps our short wave from closing off too early. With that said we don't want an overbeaing 50-50 that will force a later phase. Although the pattern is excellent we still need some things to fall into place for this to be a biggie.

looks like for NYC it we get light snow from midnight Christmas eve thru the morning of the 26th according to the 0z GFS..looking good,,better than the slop and dry slot issues on 18z

Personally I think this scenario would be a nightmare for NYC north, with just a dusting in the City, heavy snow S and E, and partly cloudy to the north. The 18z scenario would at least result in several inches on the ground and a fresh coating at the end from CNJ north. Hopefully a compromise solution is in order and we don't have to choose.

People need to stop reading these model outputs at this time like it's fact. I know I am stating the obvious, but for some reason it gets under my skin when in this time frame people get hung up on the details and loose sight of the fact that its the upper level pattern that matters the most. And quite frankly, it's still looking good and the potential is way better than it has ever been.

People need to stop reading these model outputs at this time like it's fact. I know I am stating the obvious, but for some reason it gets under my skin when in this time frame people get hung up on the details and loose sight of the fact that its the upper level pattern that matters the most. And quite frankly, it's still looking good and the potential is way better than it has ever been.

++++++++++11111111111111

Ridgingtime thank you very much for this post. I was reading the 00z thread on the main forum, and I just couldn't take it anymore. The H5 looks good, the storm is still there, that is all you could ask for at this point. Do people expect the models to show a HECS every run from here until next weekend? Even during our big storms last year the models were all over the place leading up to them...Sheesh its frustrating.

The very slow GGEM has begun and is out to 24h. The ggem has been consistent with keeping this system suppressed and mostly a miss for our area. It'll be interesting too see how it or if it trends either way closer or mainly south and OTS.

I know I should probably know this but where do you guys get those black and white GGEM maps?

All I know is that if you live and die by every model run, then you'll drive yourself crazy. Don't expect a major snowstorm but many of us will probably get a few inches for Christmas although a whiff is still on the table. I think many people assume that because the overall pattern shows blocking and a western ridge that they'll see a big storm.

There's a reason why we rarely see big snow events and that's because the pattern has to be nearly perfect for that to happen and it almost never is. This time the pattern is close to being great but it's not enough, unless things change in the next few days. Plus, in a Nina, light to moderate events are generally the rule.

As for the gfs, I think the low is too far south, whether or not it phases, the surface low should exit off of Virginia, which is far enough north to give us a nice little Christmas snow event. Generally in these types of bowling ball systems, the latitude they enter in from the Pacific is the latitude they will exit out from in the Atlantic and that latitude at this time would be around Virginia. Obviously if we see a phase, we'll get a good deal more snowfall than currently depicted but the broad trough and its location at this time are a bit unfavorable for a big phase.

Like I said, to get a big storm around here, things have to be perfect. In this case, being almost there would favor smaller amounts, not significant ones.

So help me if i see one more post by DT in the general thread on how much Richmond is getting I'm going to lose it.:arrowhead:

I'm with you man. The dude is a good forecaster and I am thankful for his contributions to this board, but he tends to live model by model run when he is in a good snow range. When he is not, he is blasting everyone else who is reading a model like its fact.

Archived