• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/27 Forecast Threats

am19psu

Its possible but not based on the synoptic setup shown by the 18Z GFS....the biggest problem is the positioning of the ridge out west, its likely too far east but also the overall degree of phasing and ridging pumping ahead of the system seems strange. The 12/15/89 bust was modeled similar to this early but it severely overphased, in that case though the ridge was positioned well to the west and the system had already undertaken a negative tilt back over the Oh Valley...in this case the system would have a tough time amplifying that fast given there is some confluence to the pattern.

Interesting comparison to '89 and I think I agree with your sentiment. But I decided a long time ago that weather models are better at predicting what is physically possible than I am. So if a model says a s/w trof can buck the confluence, I consider it a possibility.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But 12/15/89 was forecast to be a major snowstorm just hours prior...nobody mentioned the possibility of it turning to rain

Its possible but not based on the synoptic setup shown by the 18Z GFS....the biggest problem is the positioning of the ridge out west, its likely too far east but also the overall degree of phasing and ridging pumping ahead of the system seems strange. The 12/15/89 bust was modeled similar to this early but it severely overphased, in that case though the ridge was positioned well to the west and the system had already undertaken a negative tilt back over the Oh Valley...in this case the system would have a tough time amplifying that fast given there is some confluence to the pattern.

Why the 00Z NAM is likely out to lunch....a similar scenario to 2/25/90 it depicts, but notice the massive PVA and dynamics at 500 in the 1990 event...thats non-existent for this week at 500 and is too far south.

http://www.meteo.psu...1990/us0225.php

the nam has been atrocious lately. Yesterday it was still showing a sne hit up to the 6z runs this morning from the ots storm. I would love to see the verification scores for it against other models....anyways gfs time...no wammies!

of course. That storm still stings though. 4 to 8" of snow followed by an arctic outbreak 9 days before Christmas. I remember temps in the upper 20s when the snow began. About an hour later it was near 40 and pouring outside. It finally went back to snow after midnight but back that point it was too late for anything. Of course then it was bitterly cold with alot of dustings before the major warmup/flip ensued

Well we didn't have the modeling then that we have now...Will posted the setup on here when Alex mentioned it 2-3 months back and its remarkable how the models missed it.

What stood out to me is that the Euro yesterday had the 500mb low in Canada sort of suppressing the track since it was a stronger feature than the GFS had it yet the GFS was only about 50 miles north of the Euro without the big 500mb low, that to me meant for sure it was too far south with the track if the Canada vortex was not as big of a player...I don't like the American models on SW flow or semi-SW flow type events and to me thats what this is, a slightly suppressed SW flow event....I warned everyone the NAM was going to be way south on it when it got in its range, the NAM is notorious for suppressing those more than any models, I remember when it had the 12/18/08 event tracking over DC 2 days out, in the end it was over NYC more or less.

It didn't look like there was much Rocky Mountain ridging though with that event. That being said its still 5-6 days away, so there are not many solutions that are off the table at this point.

Archived