Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/27 Forecast Threats

am19psu

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of us were confused :arrowhead:

I definitely wouldn't say I'm indifferent... especially with this storm. :snowman: I'm going to be particularly soft spoken with this storm... the GFS depiction is a dream-come-true (for me too, not just you). I always guard against a miss because its such a big let down, and this time I'm gonna be even more guarded. But yes, I think the pattern is favorable... but that doesn't always mean there's a storm. An interesting study project I might undertake if I ever get back east would be to go back and see how often a favorable pattern DIDN'T produce. Then again, someone might've done that already.

Ray,

That would be a great study. Most studies/papers and recognition are done on forecast and observed events. I was talking to Mark the other week on how we did not hear a single word about how collectively we took wind advisory model guidance suggested event and not issue anything (which was correct). I'm waiting for the solutions to hold within 96 hours (my nina limit), but the overall pattern and even where the gwo is heading have much more legs than this Sunday one ever had.

MT holly makes me smile

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --ONE DAY CLOSER TO CHRISTMAS, AND THE THREAT OF MEASURABLE SNOW

STILL EXISTS. MOST COMPUTER MODELS ARE STILL INDICATING THAT THERE

COULD BE A SIGNIFICANT EAST COAST STORM FOR THE COMING HOLIDAY

WEEKEND. AND THEY ARE KEEPING THE STORM TO OUR SOUTH, SO WE WOULD

REMAIN ON THE COLD SIDE, MEANING THAT THE PRECIPITATION WOULD FALL

AS SNOW. TIMING OF THE EVENT IS STILL UP IN THE AIR. THE GFS BRINGS

IT IN EARLY, WITH MOST OF THE SNOW OCCURRING FRIDAY NIGHT AND

SATURDAY. THE ECMWF IS SLOWER, WITH THE MAJORITY LATE SATURDAY INTO

EARLY SUNDAY. SO WE WILL SPEND THE NEXT FEW DAYS REFINING WHAT COULD

BE A VERY INTERESTING EVENT. FOR NOW, WILL HAVE SNOW MENTIONED IN

THE FORECAST FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY. IN THE DAYS LEADING INTO

THIS POSSIBLE STORM, THE WEATHER WILL BE QUITE TRANQUIL. HIGH

PRESSURE, DROPPING DOWN FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST, WILL DOMINATE OUR

WEATHER WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN

SLIGHTLY BELOW NORMAL WITH HIGHS THURSDAY AND FRIDAY IN THE UPPER

20S AND 30S. LOWS WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY NIGHT WILL RANGE FROM

THE MID AND UPPER TEENS IN THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS TO THE UPPER 20S

IN THE SOUTHERN COASTAL AREAS. TEMPERATURES OVER THE WEEKEND WILL

DEPEND ON THE DEVELOPMENT AND TIMING OF THE STORM. IF IT DOES

DEVELOP INTO A FULL BLOWN EAST COAST STORM, TEMPERATURES WILL SETTLE

INTO THE UPPER TEENS AND 20S. IT SHOULD BE AN INTERESTING WEEK

WATCHING THIS POSSIBLE WHITE CHRISTMAS DEVELOP. ENJOY!!-- End Changed Discussion --

OMG at that football game-- I hope our storm doesnt go that way lol.

Nittany-- putting out QPF is fantasy land this far out, but its ok if people want to get excited. Whether it works out or not is another issue altogether-- but at least let's let them have their fun right now :) At least half the fun is tracking the potential and possibilities. Reality can wait for later. I think most people realize the inaccuracy of the models by now, but that's not what this is about.... it's about enjoying the moment.

Wow the Giants lost, I turned it off at half time.

On the last play of the game lol.....

That was worse than that loss the Colts had when they led like 35-14 with 5 minutes to go a few years ago.

That was the choke job of the year and the funny thing was before that happened, I thought it was their best game since 2007. They dominated both sides of the ball for 3 quarters. Coughlin said he still has no clue how they lost lol.

That was worse than that loss the Colts had when they led like 35-14 with 5 minutes to go a few years ago.

that Giant-Eagle game was painful to watch. I'm actually a huge colts fan.. I think that Colts game you were talking about was when the colts beat the Pats in the AFC championship game. Sorry for off topic post. Back to christmas storm.

the lack of a high over SE Canada/NNE has me worried that we'll see the christmas event trend inland a bit...I'm not sold on all white with this storm.

The flow though is so blocky to our northeast it looks like the low can only go so far north. I haven't looked at the ensemble SD(s) on this yet, its still too early, think the overall baroclinicity should have been stronger to get that specific gfs solution, but its still a heck of alot better looking than today's ever was.

pine valley lol

I would think Pinehurst Number 2, at US Open Spec is harder than Pine Valley. :devilsmiley:

Re. QPF. Everyone needs to take a breather about QPF. It makes no sense to talk about it six days out, because models will overdo it or underdo it at this time and as we get closer, the accuracy of QPF will increase.

the lack of a high over SE Canada/NNE has me worried that we'll see the christmas event trend inland a bit...I'm not sold on all white with this storm.

That's a possibility and has me worried a little. However, the patter is favorable for the storm to go OTS rather than inland but this storm is being drawn up the coast. It would have to be pulled even more in order for it go inland. I hope that makes sense.

Archived