• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/27 Forecast Threats

am19psu

The flow though is so blocky to our northeast it looks like the low can only go so far north. I haven't looked at the ensemble SD(s) on this yet, its still too early, think the overall baroclinicity should be better to get that specific gfs solution, but its still a heck of alot better looking than today's ever did.

Yeah, its not going to cut west, but I was posting last night that I feel the models may be too far south with the initial track since the blocking is not THAT strong if you ask me...I said I'd be surprised if this tracked to the coast much south of maybe the Delmarva, some runs have hit it to near NC.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, its not going to cut west, but I was posting last night that I feel the models may be too far south with the initial track since the blocking is not THAT strong if you ask me...I said I'd be surprised if this tracked to the coast much south of maybe the Delmarva, some runs have hit it to near NC.

Southerly track is way more likely than the inland cutter (agreed, isn't happening) with this synoptic set up. For the low to bomb out as soon as it hit the water (like the GFS shows) there would need to be a good deal more baroclinity than depicted in that solution, IMO.

Brad Smith is a beast.

There hasn't been as many northward adjustment tracks as we have come closer this month, but yeah its still 6 days away, have to see how quickly this current low gets out of the way.

There hasn't been as many northward adjustment tracks as we have come closer this month, but yeah its still 6 days away, have to see how quickly this current low gets out of the way.

What stood out to me is that the Euro yesterday had the 500mb low in Canada sort of suppressing the track since it was a stronger feature than the GFS had it yet the GFS was only about 50 miles north of the Euro without the big 500mb low, that to me meant for sure it was too far south with the track if the Canada vortex was not as big of a player...I don't like the American models on SW flow or semi-SW flow type events and to me thats what this is, a slightly suppressed SW flow event....I warned everyone the NAM was going to be way south on it when it got in its range, the NAM is notorious for suppressing those more than any models, I remember when it had the 12/18/08 event tracking over DC 2 days out, in the end it was over NYC more or less.

I don't think rain is a concern for NYC; we still have a huge above normal height field over Baffin Island (-NAO west) and the storm fractures off the California ULL pretty far south. We're also starting with fairly cold 850s (probably like -6C) and there is a nice arctic high coming into AK/Northern Canada that should pump some colder air into the CONUS as the storm is tracking across the country.

I don't think rain is a concern for NYC; we still have a huge above normal height field over Baffin Island (-NAO west) and the storm fractures off the California ULL pretty far south. We're also starting with fairly cold 850s (probably like -6C) and there is a nice arctic high coming into AK/Northern Canada that should pump some colder air into the CONUS as the storm is tracking across the country.

I think the concern is one more of sleet or freezing rain vs changing over to plain rain which looks slimer right now. There was one GEFS run for PHL that changed the precipitation over to rain.

What stood out to me is that the Euro yesterday had the 500mb low in Canada sort of suppressing the track since it was a stronger feature than the GFS had it yet the GFS was only about 50 miles north of the Euro without the big 500mb low, that to me meant for sure it was too far south with the track if the Canada vortex was not as big of a player...I don't like the American models on SW flow or semi-SW flow type events and to me thats what this is, a slightly suppressed SW flow event....I warned everyone the NAM was going to be way south on it when it got in its range, the NAM is notorious for suppressing those more than any models, I remember when it had the 12/18/08 event tracking over DC 2 days out, in the end it was over NYC more or less.

I'll have to go look at that one tonight on the NARR. Gulp that was a nina year too.

I agree with you and would welcome a solution at this point that threatened a little rain.

That said, if we get the classic track we want, a period of rain on the east end and sleet in the City is always a possibility based on proximity of low-mid level lows. But this usually a worthwhile trade-off.

Archived