Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
00z Models 2/11/2014 | Potential Major Coastal Storm

earthlight

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sea water temperatures cold too, around  37 degrees at Ambrose lighthouse.

We won't climb above 34 as long as winds stay NE or ENE. So even if we do briefly flip over it won't be the crazy coastal front that spikes up to 40F+ and melts the snow. That is unless the low actually goes west of us which seems highly unlikely.

If the 500mb low goes underneath us like that and is closed off, that's a huge hit. If the surface panel shows differently, it's wrong. The NAVGEM is generally useless anyway so I would disregard.

I'm fully aware. I was just stating that it's surface depiction doesn't match H5.

With or without this storm, this has been a terrific winter, a once-in-ten-years type with sustained cold and snowpack and numerous storms.  If we get THIS storm, we're talking about a winter up there with the greats of the 70's, something that we may not see again in our lifetimes if the climate continues to warm.

I hope we get a nice storm out of this because it would be a nice finale for what has turned out to be a very good (great if we get this storm) winter.

With or without this storm, this has been a terrific winter, a once-in-ten-years type with sustained cold and snowpack and numerous storms.  If we get THIS storm, we're talking about a winter up there with the greats of the 70's, something that we may not see again in our lifetimes if the climate continues to warm.

As I mentioned earlier, if we get a good 10 or 12" of snow out of this, most of us will be at 18-24" snow on the ground. That's incredible for this area.

It has been a great winter. I will cherish my memories of the deep snowpack in Central Park... walking my son to school in the snow and ice when every other district had the sense to cancel school... But I hope this storm implodes or goes rain, because I need to fly home from California Thursday.

It has been a great winter. I will cherish my memories of the deep snowpack in Central Park... walking my son to school in the snow and ice when every other district had the sense to cancel school... But I hope this storm implodes or goes rain, because I need to fly home from California Thursday.

Seriously.  The continuous snowpack in Central Park is astounding.  I cant remember the last time it lasted this long.  Same with the piles of snow on the sides of the streets - gonna be a minefield walking around Manhattan if this potential verifies!

Archived