joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think the higher mtns on both the north and west put us in sort of a downslopping corner, so whichever direction the precip comes from we are dryslotted. It has to come from just the right angle like with jan 88. Really the best places for snow in upstate since mid nineties have been greenwood to simpsonville to Gaffney. The whole NW of 85 used to be true but now you have be south of it, east of GSP , but north of Aiken, to Newberry.

Yes, the angle is a big part of it.  I have now come to realize just how important for places in the northwest corner of the Upstate.  There's a study of the Jan. 88 storm on the GSP NWS website that shows that one special characteristic of that storm was a southerly flow at 850 mb across (and at times, at nearly a right angle to) a strong north-south temperature gradient creating lift across a slope of isentropic surfaces.  This flow was also nearly perpendicular to the Blue Ridge escarpment, which is pretty formidable in that particular location.  It's tough for these areas to get a big snow without this sort of feature.

14" here on table and driveway  with 15-16" in the grass

Still snowing pretty hard, the bands this morning were amazing

Few miles north of Statesville

Grew up in Statesville.. that would be the biggest snow since '87.

Down here in Mooresville now.  Really hoping to get that foot again.  It's been that long.

EDIT:  May already be at 12".  Public reports say so.  I'm around  a lot of trees so my measurements may be low.

02/13/2014 1136 am

5 miles N of Statesville, Iredell County.

Snow m15.0 inch, reported by public.

02/13/2014 1207 PM

3 miles N of Statesville, Iredell County.

Snow m18.0 inch, reported by public.

02/13/2014 1119 am

Mooresville, Iredell County.

Snow m12.0 inch, reported by public.

02/13/2014 1207 PM

3 miles N of Statesville, Iredell County.

Snow m18.0 inch, reported by public.

02/13/2014 1136 am

5 miles N of Statesville, Iredell County.

Snow m15.0 inch, reported by public.

02/13/2014 1119 am

Mooresville, Iredell County.

Snow m12.0 inch, reported by public.

Things coming to an end in Mt. Holly.  Looks like the final talley is:  ~1" snow Tuesday that melted, 2.5-3" snow yesterday before transition to sleet.  ~1" sleet.  And 2-2.5" snow this morning.  Tuesday through Thursday storm total of 6.5-7.5" snow/sleet.  Not too bad here in Mt. Holly. Just up hwy 27 got hammered.  Buddy in Dallas says he has a foot of snow/sleet most of that coming this morning with that band of thundersnow.  Thundered and lightened there according to what his wife told him.

Yeah I think after this last "band" rotating in that should do it.  Once the column dries up, it'll be a rainy drizzle to sunny skies .  10" looking definite... maybe hit that one foot threshold if this last band crushes us.

That's exactly how it's currently panning out down here in Gastonia.  Had relentless heavy snow for the longest time and it's now letting up a lot to just tiny flakes/drizzle.  Sky's getting brighter as well so things appear to be done for me.  Total accumlation: 6.5"  There's probably a half-one inch more elsewhere in the city, though.  Temp's climbed to 34°.

That's exactly how it's currently panning out down here in Gastonia.  Had relentless heavy snow for the longest time and it's now letting up a lot to just tiny flakes/drizzle.  Sky's getting brighter as well so things appear to be done for me.  Total accumlation: 6.5"  There's probably a half-one inch more elsewhere in the city, though.  Temp's climbed to 34°.

I got under the heaviest deform band, got 4.5" today, 4" yesterday, ~2 inches sleet

8-12" verified barely

35 degrees and drizzle now

It's kind of cool to be getting snow while Washington, DC is at 38/RN, New York City is at 34/RN, and Boston is at 36/RN.

I have friends up in Jersey who are saying it's still snowing despite the green radar returns etc. He is a weather geek too, so I trust him. Sounds like how it was down here for a little while, nothing ont he radar over KFAY yet it was snowing moderately.

I got under the heaviest deform band, got 4.5" today, 4" yesterday, ~2 inches sleet

8-12" verified barely

35 degrees and drizzle now

Very nice. :)  I had to have been darn close to that heaviest band if that's the case.  Woke up at 7:30 so I'm not sure exactly when it started, but it looks like that additional 3" occurred.  I measured the snow from yesterday, and it was around 3.5, maybe 4 inches (Can't be too sure so it's likely the 3.5) before the sleet transition around 3pm.  Guarantee that you and I would've seen a whole foot; maybe 2" more had it not been for the sleet.

Archived