joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential storm February 12-13 2014

famartin

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6z NAM spits out about 1.3" of QPF in KPHL - appears to be all snow according to wxcaster maps. A standard 10:1 ratio puts that around 13" obviously.... However I have not seen much talk about ratios - maybe a bit less than 10:1? Either way we have seen the NAM swing a little bit here and there since last night so I'm sure if the 12z run is anything similar to 6z, then the consensus for a foot in the city is really not out of the realm... Again that's if the NAM is correct, but it looks like the EURO is around 8-12" for the city too. And I think most would agree the EURO has been VERY consistent with this storm for the most part.  

Could of sworn just heard an Allentown fire dispatcher come across with a weather update saying 10-18 of snow expected but don't see any watches issued for our area.

That is what Accuweather is calling for, in the lehigh valley. I work for the state, all state and townships use "skyguard" a commerical accuweather account. I heard the same thing this morning. 

I am excited for the storm but based on forecasts it wont be our biggest snowfall this season

Possible, we lucked out on some of those big storms because of ratios, however some of the VVs in this storm will be the strongest of the year, so there is a chance someone in our region sees 15-20" which would def top off anything we've seen this year. JMhO

No offense to you guys down there, but another potential Blue Mountain cut-off would be kind of hard to take at this point.

I hear you.  At this point you have the EURO/CMC/Ukie in your court and until that trends differently I wouldn't worry.  I also think the cutoff portrayed on the NAM is overdone.  I can't see a Miller A coming up from the gulf without at least a somehwat more expansive precip shield. 

you wana sleep over? ;)

LOL...

Me: Honey I'm staying down in Quakertown tonight so I can see the bigger snow accumulations.

Wife: WTF...you some kind crazy nut or what???

I hear you.  At this point you have the EURO/CMC/Ukie in your court and until that trends differently I wouldn't worry.  I also think the cutoff portrayed on the NAM is overdone.  I can't see a Miller A coming up from the gulf without at least a somehwat more expansive precip shield. 

Yeah maybe. The kicker is the problem I suppose, but I don't ever remember so many storms modeled (and sometimes verifying) with such ridiculous cut-offs.

I do. 09-10 had ridiculous cut offs although they were not the same type of storm.

That's what I mean. Over the past few seasons there have been many, but it seems like it was not always that way. Lately there just seems to be some insanely tight gradients on the northwest side of the storms.

Wasn't the first Feb 2010 storm a straight up Miller A?  It had a crazy snow gradient due to the confluence that dropped real far south over Maine.  PHL had 28" and I bet Reading had far far less than that.

I do. 09-10 had ridiculous cut offs although they were not the same type of storm.

12z

GFS = precipitation issues Thursday afternoon for most of NJ.  

NAM =  much colder and snowier. 

umm precipitation issues for eastern PA as well, only .40-50" QPF here in the southeast. It's the dryest perfect track miller A ever. 

ECM-NAM are a MECS except for the far N&W crowd on the NAM. GFS stays in SECS criteria. 

Hope the ECM holds the line today

GGEM is also still on board, I95 N/W.

The GFS has a nice low but losses the precip shield. Model is in fail mode at this point with precip as noted by many others.

As far as our place on this little blue marble called earth it looks like a toss up between a ECM/UKIE/GGEM 10-13" MECS and a GFS/NAM 6-8" SECS 

Storm is too fast moving with the kicker and no blocking we can just about discount a HECS 

I like the January 1987 analog. Great storm 12" featured lightning

Archived