joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential storm February 12-13 2014

famartin

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the point in forecasting if there is no "forecasting"? Most of the storms we end up saying "it doesn't matter what the model says, it's now casting time" anyway. Wish casting or not, if the models show a threat then discuss it. It's good reading and perhaps one of these years we will get a weather forecast worth a **** instead of flipping a coin.

Well, this is a discussion thread.  I wasn't forecasting anything.

7 out 10 times when it snows in Memphis six inches, be prepared for a big storm in the mid atlantic of 6-12

An interesting statement that I think I've heard before, so I decided to investigate. 

MEM has only had 20 events with 5.5" or more of snow since 1885.  None of them have occurred since 1988.  Out of those 20, PHL has had 6" or more of snow following or coinciding with a 6" or greater event in Memphis exactly twice.  Meanwhile, there were six times when no measurable snow fell at PHL. 

So, your statement is categorically false.  At PHL, anyway.

An interesting statement that I think I've heard before, so I decided to investigate. 

MEM has only had 20 events with 5.5" or more of snow since 1885.  None of them have occurred since 1988.  Out of those 20, PHL has had 6" or more of snow following or coinciding with a 6" or greater event in Memphis exactly twice.  Meanwhile, there were six times when no measurable snow fell at PHL. 

So, your statement is categorically false.  At PHL, anyway.

please try ABE, I live closer to ABE. I should have said ABE instaed of mid-atlantic. my bad

I think this one has good chance to be the biggest snow event for NW Chesco this year....that said I think it is the classic heavy snow for this areas with by the time 850s get to abv 0c we are left with some ZR to end

0z ECM west of 12z, 8" snow lehigh valley, 4" N&W burbs before a changeover 

50 miles east and we get pummeled, next up ensembles

Archived