• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

For whatever reason - all the euro snow graphics count anything with subfreezing surface temps as snow at 10:1 - regardless of 850 temps.

The system sunday night is mostly fz rn sleet, with a quick dusting of snow on top.

I'm not even going to talk about the system on day 8. I've got about 150 inches of day 8-10 euro snow this year, none of which has panned out. but taken literally, it looks to be a heavy thump of snow, changing to sleet, then possibly changing back. I'll take it - given the snow drought, but the accum maps are no where near reasonable.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For whatever reason - all the euro snow graphics count anything with subfreezing surface temps as snow at 10:1 - regardless of 850 temps.

The system sunday night is mostly fz rn sleet, with a quick dusting of snow on top.

I'm not even going to talk about the system on day 8. I've got about 150 inches of day 8-10 euro snow this year, none of which has panned out. but taken literally, it looks to be a heavy thump of snow, changing to sleet, then possibly changing back. I'll take it - given the snow drought, but the accum maps are no where near reasonable.

I knew about the WxBell maps' snow bias but I was surprised to see StormVista maps cranking out high snow totals as well.  Typically they are a bit more conservative.  Regardless, as modeled I think you are right, snow to sleet to slop on that run.

From the 12z Euro ensemble charts, first number is the deterministic snow total, second number is ensemble mean.  These are through hour 240 so all three storms are included.

Bristol 7.2/5

Chattanooga 8.3/3

Crossville 11.2/4.2

Knoxville 7.8/3.8

Jackson 9.8/4

Memphis 9.2/3.8

Nashville 13/4.2

Paris 11/5.5

Dyersburg 9.2/5.2

Columbia 12/4

Asheville, NC 16/7

Middlesboro, KY 10/5

Paducah, KY 9.2/7

Tupelo, MS 7/1.2

Huntsville, AL 8.2/2

These are WAY better than the 0z run, I'm really surprised.

From the 12z Euro ensemble charts, first number is the deterministic snow total, second number is ensemble mean.  These are through hour 240 so all three storms are included.

Bristol 7.2/5

Chattanooga 8.3/3

Crossville 11.2/4.2

Knoxville 7.8/3.8

Jackson 9.8/4

Memphis 9.2/3.8

Nashville 13/4.2

Paris 11/5.5

Dyersburg 9.2/5.2

Columbia 12/4

Asheville, NC 16/7

Middlesboro, KY 10/5

Paducah, KY 9.2/7

Tupelo, MS 7/1.2

Huntsville, AL 8.2/2

These are WAY better than the 0z run, I'm really surprised.

Nashville would be brought to a standstill with 13"

That was a wild run of the happy hour GFS.  It sure seems like something big is going to go down this month in the southeast.

Yep, patience will be the key over the next 5 days or so.  Have to let the 1st couple of storms roll through and see if they set the table for something significant in the SE. 

+NAO, trending -PNA, rising AO forecast by CPC ensembles. Going to need some mojo for this one. I still think the time frame around Valentine's Day is the time IF something actually comes together. Then, one more shot of cold late month. I lean towards +2.5 for temps in the Valley for Feb. Snow at or above normal - maybe we get the big one.

Carvers, I know you are rather pessimistic over the chances heading into the next few weeks.  It sounds like you are basing most of it off of the indicies (which admittedly don't look great).  I think there are other drivers in the pattern that will overcome.  I can see a repeat of November pattern with a jet that sags quite a bit further and plentiful moisture.  I think we will have multiple opportunities and the Euro has been consistently showing a great look for next weekend (and remember how well it has done in the past wrt split flow patterns) 

The battle lines are being drawn.............It will be interesting to see how things play out, no matter the outcome.

+NAO, trending -PNA, rising AO forecast by CPC ensembles. Going to need some mojo for this one. I still think the time frame around Valentine's Day is the time IF something actually comes together. Then, one more shot of cold late month. I lean towards +2.5 for temps in the Valley for Feb. Snow at or above normal - maybe we get the big one.

I agree, it looks like we should warm up considerably after mid-month or so but the EPO and WPO look to stay negative and the AO forcasts haven't been very stellar...

diff.ensm.gif

0z Euro deterministic/ensemble mean snow through 240:

Bristol 4.4/3

Crossville 4.4/3

Chattanooga 2.6/1.1

Knoxville 4.2/1.9

Nashville 5/3.1

Jackson 5.1/3.2

Memphis 5/3

You have to like the relative consistency the Euro has displayed the last few days (at least regarding the big storm that has been at the end of the run). 

Hey fellas. Big time weather geek here, but don't have much to add, so I'll stay out of the way. Just wondering what next weekends system is showing, if anything, for North Alabama, mainly the Huntsville area? Thanks for all of your hard work guys.

Hey!  The past several runs of the Euro have shown some decent hits for Huntsville.  The latest run showed 3.2 inches of snow with an ensemble mean just under an inch.

I will let the Euro finish its run, but it's simply looking quite a bit warmer through 168.

I am looking solely at the 850s when saying the above.  It does have an ice to rain setup type of look.

WAY too warm for any frozen precip at all.  Storm 3 went POOF.  Let's see what the ensembles look like.  If anyone has access to the control run, if you can post what it shows that would be appreciated.  

The run ends on a very cold note though.

This is a dramatically different solution from the euro. It all started going wrong about hour 120. when the 3rd storm drops into the west.

Anyone else feel like the models are getting worse each year rather than better? I have never seen so many fantasy storms in the 8-10 day range.

Just looked through h5 on wunderground maps

There were two separate pieces of energy that we've had diving down into the west on prior runs. This run, the second one is really strong and closed and it destroys the pac ridge, flattens out the flow, and the southeast ridge wins the battle.

Lets hope that's not the solution.

All of the stuff floating around at H5 is bound to cause BIG changes in the runs.  What we have going for us most is the very large high that is projected to come down.  Maybe with some good timing we can score.

Yep, which is why I was impressed with the relative consistent long range Euro but today it finally blew a gasket and we lost our consistency. 

Archived