Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HPC basically said the GFS lost its mind today.  Amazing that we go from a Miller A to no southern stream energy and northern stream dominated.  Personally, and I could very well be wrong, think that the models are no where close to a final solution.  Also, the overall pattern still looks like it could produce a storm even after this weekend.  The 18z was not warm.

I PUT VERY LITTLE STOCK IN THE GFS DETERMINISTIC RUNS...ESPECIALLY
THE SUB-970MB LOW SOLUTION OF THE 14/06Z GFS FOR TWO REASONS. AND
BOTH ARE TIED TO THE SAME PREMISE...A SLIGHTLY MORE AMPLIFIED FLOW
ALOFT DAYS 3-4...WHICH THIS GFS RUN DELAYS TO THE POINT THAT IT'S
A GOOD 12-18 HOURS SLOWER UPSTREAM WITH THE SHARP TROUGH MOVING
THROUGH THE CENTRAL PLAINS...AND ALLOWS MUCH MORE NORTHERN STREAM
ENERGY TO BECOME INCORPORATED INTO THE EXITING SYSTEM (DAY 6)
SEEMS TO BE A STRETCH. OVERALL...THAT SOLUTION WAS NOT SUPPORTIVE
OF EITHER THE GEFS OR ECENS MEANS. OVERALL...THE KEY TO THE
FORECAST REMAINS TIED TO THE SHORTWAVE TRACKING (CURRENTLY OVER
THE YUKON). IT WILL BE WORTH WATCHING...AS THE SHORTWAVE BEGINS TO
TRULY ERODE THE WEST COAST RIDGE IN THE NEXT 24-36 HOURS. UNTIL
THEN...THE ECENS IS A DECENT GUIDANCE TOOL FOR DAYS 5-7.

Was the ice in West TN and far NW Middle TN even expected? I just saw it from Twitter when one of the UT recruits can't go to school tomorrow to fax in his papers for signing day.

I got a kick out of this statement from Nashville's discussion:

WITH MODEL GUIDANCE OF LITTLE USE...HAVE BASED THE TONIGHT/TOMORROW PERIOD FORECAST HEAVILY OFF CURRENT CONDITIONS AND RADAR IMAGERY UPSTREAM.

Are the model issues messed up in the short-term, too?

Ahhh the post-200  circle storm. It manages to really explode in post 200 east of here after laying down big snows in  Arkansas and Louisiana, while leaving most of Tennessee in the snow-free circle. This winter is like a very cold version of 2008-09 I believe when it managed to come a good winter event everywhere outside of  about a 75 mile radius directly around my area. 

The 0z Euro has a bunch of energy from the west coming together to kick up a pretty decent storm that moves across the TN Valley starting around hour 156.  Temps look good for a period then warm up, so maybe a snow to rain to flurries situation.  The snow maps seem even more off than usual.  They somehow manage 2 to 5 inches across the state by hour 168.  At least it's showing a storm and at least we are in the ball park.

The weekend storm stays well to our south on this run.

The Tuesday storm is looking interesting on the 12z GFS.  Similar to what the Euro showed but better temps.  It starts snowing early Tuesday morning with freezing lines below the southern TN border and keeps going through early Wednesday morning when temps start rising a bit.  Longish duration light to moderate snow good for a statewide 3 or 4 inches maybe even 5 or 6 in spots before tapering to rain.  The heavier precip stays to our south but so do the warmer temps.  Could be a fun little event.

Are we throwing in the towel on the fizzled out weekend event? I still think it's a possibility given how bad the models have preformed lately even in the short term. I'm not trying to wishcast...just can't get those earlier model runs out of my mind. I'm thinking that at some point later today into tomorrow, we may start seeing the models hint at the weekend possibility again. Just a gut feeling...

Are we throwing in the towel on the fizzled out weekend event? I still think it's a possibility given how bad the models have preformed lately even in the short term. I'm not trying to wishcast...just can't get those earlier model runs out of my mind. I'm thinking that at some point later today into tomorrow, we may start seeing the models hint at the weekend possibility again. Just a gut feeling...

GFS is close to getting the northern stream involved again - its sheering the southern vort out big time. Not sure that's correct.

Either way, its showing light snows on Saturday now, so its trended wetter. Which wasn'thard to do cause its been pretty dry.

I am interested in next week - but there's a lot of stuff to move through here before we get to that solution.

12z Euro is a miss on the weekend storm.  It forms in Florida and moves up and off the east coast.

It has plenty of moisture south of TN and light snow north of Tennessee.

I really think it will fill in. The h5 setup looks good, its just not getting the moisture return for some reason. It lookslike a big slug of qpf should be with this system and its just not.

f72.gif

FWIW - the GFS ensembles overall are much wetter than either the euro or gfs op runs.

Archived