CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 30-February 2nd Wave Train

Chicago Storm

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically, yes. However, considering we've seen about 1/2 the total snow SE MI has, and are basically the least snowiest place on the continent east of the MS river and north of 41N, I think we should have a little room to complain.

If you end up below normal for the year feel free to complain. Based upon what is on the maps forthcoming I don't see you guys ending up below normal.

If you end up below normal for the year feel free to complain. Based upon what is on the maps forthcoming I don't see you guys ending up below normal.

Dont be surprised if it does end up below normal when all is said and done. We've seen all kinds of extremes in recent years and last minute snow droughts after a nice start is always a possibility....Unless we get a March 1870 again, which had 62" alone  :lmao:

Technically, yes. However, considering we've seen about 1/2 the total snow SE MI has, and are basically the least snowiest place on the continent east of the MS river and north of 41N, I think we should have a little room to complain.

I agree with you for the most part, although this is tempered by my realization and acceptance that Toronto is generally not a snowy city compared to pretty much everywhere around it. Remember that two years ago you were telling me to temper my expectations after I moved home from Ottawa.

Dont be surprised if it does end up below normal when all is said and done. We've seen all kinds of extremes in recent years and last minute snow droughts after a nice start is always a possibility....Unless we get a March 1870 again, which had 62" alone  :lmao:

You take this too seriously. Like everyone I want more snow, but it's only the end of January and February tends to be much snowier than January. This has been an epic and historic winter in more ways than just snow for eastern north America. 30 years from now, even if we DID get below normal snowfall, this winter will always be remembered because of the ice storm and then the cold.

I doubt we end up below normal either. But if Toronto clocks in with 50" at the end of the season (a bit above normal) and Detroit gets within spitting distance of 100", I think we reserve the right to legitimately complain. 50" difference in just 200 miles without LES to account for it. That's some bad luck.

I agree with you for the most part, although this is tempered by my realization and acceptance that Toronto is generally not a snowy city compared to pretty much everywhere around it. Remember that two years ago you were telling me to temper my expectations after I moved home from Ottawa.

Your expectations should not include Detroit/Chicago x2ing your snowfall. That's a legit. gripe.

I doubt we end up below normal either. But if Toronto clocks in with 50" at the end of the season (a bit above normal) and Detroit gets within spitting distance of 100", I think we reserve the right to legitimately complain. 50" difference in just 200 miles without LES to account for it. That's some bad luck.

I can agree with this.

Winds have really picked up here.

A storm track for Detroit isn't going to always be good for Toronto, we both know this so there is no connection here. If Windsor or London got 50" then your point would make sense.

You take this too seriously. Like everyone I want more snow, but it's only the end of January and February tends to be much snowier than January. This has been an epic and historic winter in more ways than just snow for eastern north America. 30 years from now, even if we DID get below normal snowfall, this winter will always be remembered because of the ice storm and then the cold.

On average, we see more snow than Chicago and Detroit, yet in recent years, there far exceeding their seasonal expectations while we can barely make our own. In a broader picture, Yes, this winter will be remembered as being Historic, but narrow it down to just Toronto and its far from historic aside from the Ice storm. If nothing materializes in the coming weeks, I shall wash this Winter away with some Vodka and Beer in the summer, just like I have every Winter in recent years.

BTW GFS coming in cooler. Stays all snow north of 401. 

Based on the latest 00z model suite (including the new GFS run), there is decent consensus for a 3-6" wet snow changing to rain event for the Toronto area. 

Yeah, on second thought, I think the bottom end of my 2-4" call is too low. 2" would require another NW adjustment of the furthest NW models NAM/RGEM. I like 3-5" with maybe 6" up near Snowstorms and OB.

Based on the latest 00z model suite (including the new GFS run), there is decent consensus for a 3-6" wet snow changing to rain event for the Toronto area. 

Unfortunately much of the snow is forecast to fall during daylight hours. We're getting to the time of year where it won't accumulate until late afternoon/evening.

A storm track for Detroit isn't going to always be good for Toronto, we both know this so there is no connection here. If Windsor or London got 50" then your point would make sense.

And a storm track that's good for Toronto isn't always going to be good for Detroit. What's your point? Those are the exceptions though. There's a reason the two cities average ~48" and ~44" respectively. They're climatologically similar. In fact it makes less sense to compare Toronto to London because London is in a belt. 

And a storm track that's good for Toronto isn't always going to be good for Detroit. What's your point? Those are the exceptions though. There's a reason the two cities average ~48" and ~44" respectively. They're climatologically similar. In fact it makes less sense to compare Toronto to London because London is in a belt. 

Yes and they are averages and not every year are they equal... This year the storm track doesn't favor Toronto, it has favored here and Chicago, plain and simple.

Good grief some of you Torontonians will find anything to complain about.

How about you do this? Compare every Major urban City surrounding Toronto including the East Coast since 2008-09 and you tell me what isnt their to complain about? And on that note, goodluck trying to find one good element. 

Kind of getting OT, sorry guys! 

Archived