Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Down to the wire and models are saying wtf? 12/19-20 event

weathafella

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it get into SNE, too....not too privy to the rgem links....

RGEM certainly looks threatening...but no way to tell for sure how much we'd get after 48h...but it definitely has the scenario set for a good snow with all the action up in Maine...a look that has been absent on the paltry model solutions.

Thanks, Scott.

GFS is hitting that feature fairly hard at 48 hours. Not as tough as the NAM but improvement for sure.

The key for those of us down in eastern sections is this radar the next hour or two. NAM had the flow backing and that is evident on the radar well to our south. The key will be whether or not this batch of echoes moving NW gets turned NE or can it slide past the existing line of precip? If it can we may have fun down here.

Winds really picking up, feels like a storm now just minus the cold, snow, and shovels.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=OKX&product=N0Z&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Scott... I wonder if people a mile or two inland are accumulating in those OES bands?

PYM is 1 1/2SM in -SN while GHG is rain

My folks live on the nw side of GHG and it's been snow from the beginning. They had close to half an inch around 8:30. The other thing is that the AWOS has been screwy at times. It reported rain a few times last year with the temp in thw 20s, but it says it's 36 so it could be a mix. I don't completely trust the obs sometimes, but even Scott said it's a mix on the water.

Scott... I wonder if people a mile or two inland are accumulating in those OES bands?

PYM is 1 1/2SM in -SN while GHG is rain

Yes probably. This is a problem within 1-2 miles of the coast. The water is just too warm...and also to my NW the precip is more legit, it's piddly here.

Nam gives me 1.50" qpf, GFS gives .10" qpf.............. What a joke.......

The NAM is holding back the feature at 500mb at 48 hours as it rides through the Dakotas. It also has voriticty coming down from eastern canada into NE. The RGEM has this feature too, the GFS doesn't really. But the RGEM is closer to the GFS with the 500mb energy coming in from the Dakotas, NAM is an outlier.

My folks live on the nw side of GHG and it's been snow from the beginning. They had close to half an inch around 8:30. The other thing is that the AWOS has been screwy at times. It reported rain a few times last year with the temp in thw 20s, but it says it's 36 so it could be a mix. I don't completely trust the obs sometimes, but even Scott said it's a mix on the water.

How close to the water is that AWOS?

Visbility still 10 SM there

Yes probably. This is a problem within 1-2 miles of the coast. The water is just too warm...and also to my NW the precip is more legit, it's piddly here.

Yeah they see that off Erie and Ontario a lot where some people a mile or two next to the lake get screwed while areas with some elevation inland get nailed.

It's barely 0.5 miles or so. I don't know why it's 10sm miles either. Like I said, it can be weird sometimes.

if it's that close could just be rain with the high visibility... who knows.

Might need to get a mile or so inland to be cold enough for snow.

FMH is 32/32 a couple miles inland

Archived