• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA and the MD Fringes - January Part III

MAG5035

Smart man, this is the best way to approach the sight of weather you want (or don't want) on the long range. Last weekend several over on the Philly forum jumped all over the torch the GFS was showing for our Polar Death Vortex week coming up. So, yeah.

Thing is, after the "mini torch" near the 8th, we go right back into the icebox per the 12z GFS. Again it's near the end of the run so a healthy grain of salt is advised, but I really hope that it's wrong (on the icebox) theory. I really can't take much more of this...

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, after the "mini torch" near the 8th, we go right back into the icebox per the 12z GFS. Again it's near the end of the run so a healthy grain of salt is advised, but I really hope that it's wrong (on the icebox) theory. I really can't take much more of this...

Ice box is coming back. Snow should come with it though this time.

Here is FEB forecast.

cfs_anom_t2m_conus_2014012506_m2.png

cfs_tprecip_conus_2014012506_m2.png

Temperature spike here in last 15mins up 3 degrees. 28 to 31. Getting close to breaking 32 which would stink cause want long string of below 32. 

I tweeted NWS State College about the longest stretch of subfreezing temps for Harrisburg. I thought for sure that we would approach a record in the next week. Not even close. Longest stretch was 18 days in Jan-Feb 1905.

Well...it's snowing here now harder than at any point during the storm 4 days ago.  Big flakes even.  Nearing 0.5" accumulation.  Got great evaporational cooling going on with the temp having dropped from 27 down to current 23.7 degrees.  High for the day here was 27.7 keeping the sub 32 string alive.  Looks like we stay continuously below 32 for the next 7 days which would give me a string of 11 days which is certainly the longest stretch around here in recent memory.

Ice box is coming back. Snow should come with it though this time.

Here is FEB forecast.

cfs_anom_t2m_conus_2014012506_m2.png

cfs_tprecip_conus_2014012506_m2.png

Zak...these maps are insane!  For temps it has us around 9 degrees F below avg for the month and total liquid precip of around 5" for the month.  We would have glaciers around here if this comes to fruition.

I am trying to remember what the coldest February was that I have lived through.  There was one in there that actually was 10 degrees below normal (this is back in northern NJ).  While I can't remember the year, what I do remember is that the Old Farmer's Almanac for that particular year (which came out in October) showed a departure of -10F for the zone which included NJ.

Maybe djr can help me with this? I'm pretty sure it was during the decade of the 80's, or possibly the late 70's.  I know it occurred before 1990.

...A DANGEROUS BAND OF SNOW SQUALLS WILL AFFECT BEDFORD...BLAIR...
CAMERON... CENTRE...CLINTON...EASTERN CAMBRIA...EASTERN
CLEARFIELD...EASTERN SOMERSET...FULTON...HUNTINGDON...MIFFLIN...
POTTER...SOUTHEASTERN ELK...SOUTHWESTERN PERRY...TIOGA...WESTERN
FRANKLIN...WESTERN JUNIATA AND WESTERN LYCOMING COUNTIES...

AT 630 PM EST...A BAND OF DANGEROUS SNOW SQUALLS WAS LOCATED FROM
JUST EAST OF BRADFORD...SOUTHWARD ACROSS DU BOIS...TO JUST SOUTHEAST
OF EBENSBURG. THE BAND OF SNOW SQUALLS IS MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

WIND GUSTS TO 30 MPH ARE POSSIBLE WITH THESE SNOW SQUALLS. THIS
BAND OF SNOW SQUALLS WILL AFFECT WELLSBORO...PORT MATILDA...SNOW
SHOE...STATE COLLEGE...LEWISTOWN...MOUNT UNION...BEDFORD...AND
CHAMBERSBURG BY 745 PM.

THIS WILL IMPACT THE FOLLOWING CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA INTERSTATES...THE
PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 124 AND 201...I-70 BETWEEN
MILE MARKERS 147 AND 170...I-80 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 116 AND 184...
I-81 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 2 AND 8...I-99 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 0 AND

USE EXTRA CAUTION IF YOU MUST TRAVEL INTO OR THROUGH THESE DANGEROUS
SNOW SQUALLS. CONSIDER DELAYING TRAVEL UNTIL THE SQUALLS EAST OF THE
AREA LATER THIS EVENING.

Didn't u guys get anything at Millersville. That earlier band left a coating. Thought u guys were in it also.

It may have flurried (T) but it was a good bit below freezing all night and there was nothing on the pavement when I woke up. Our heated COOP raingauge here did not record anything.

Archived