• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Atlantic Tropical Action 2014

Shear has been increase down in the Bay of Campeche, so it should keep that system in check.  Not to mention, it will be moving NW into land within 24-36 hours.  

Shear has been in the decline in the Northern and Eastern parts of the Gulf.  With 92L moving at a nice clip westward, it should be out over the Gulf by the end of today.  Another caveat will be the ULL to 92L's east.  It has been enhancing shear over the Florida Peninsula and points east. 

wg8sht.GIF

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the GGEM so we'll take it with a grain of salt, but we're talking track here and not intensity. The GGEM takes the lemon in the E ATL and keeps it far enough away from Edouard that the sub-tropical ridge is able to build back to it's north and the system finds itself nearing the Bahamas in about ten days with a trough swinging through the plains. It would probably end up recurving east of the US but I'm not sure that the system is a definite fish if it does indeed develop.

The GFS and ECMWF also develop this system but have it falling victim to influince from Edouard.

Recon plans for 92L...

1045 AM EDT FRI 12 SEPTEMBER 2014
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 13/1100Z TO 14/1100Z SEPTEMBER 2014
TCPOD NUMBER.....14-104

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. SUSPECT AREA (GULF OF MEXICO)
FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 71                              FLIGHT TWO -- TEAL 72
A. 13/1730Z                                              A. 14/1130Z, 1730Z
B. AFXXX 01HHA INVEST                            B. AFXXX 0207A CYCLONE
C. 13/1545Z                                              C. 14/0945Z
D. 26.0N 84.0W                                         D. 26.0N 87.5W
E. 13/1700Z TO 13/2200Z                          E. 14/11005Z TO 14/1730Z
F. SFC TO 10,000 FT                                  F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: CONTINUE 6-HRLY FIXES IF
SYSTEM DEVELOPS AND IS A THREAT

Interesting TWO by Avila. No mention of the BOC disturbance, decreases probs for 92L, and basically writes 93L off.

Can't say I disagree with most of it...

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/products/tc_realtime/loop.asp?product=1kmsrvis&storm_identifier=AL932014&starting_image=2014AL93_1KMSRVIS_201409121315.GIF

Watch 93L get a special TWO when ASCAT confirms there is a nice surface circulation underneath that CDO. Its not surprising Avila didn't raise probabilities since he tends to be on the more pessimistic side when forecasting. 

The BoC disturbance and disturbance south of Bermuda probably could have lemoned for at least low probabilities. Even if its 10%, there is almost certainly a > 0 % of development with both systems given their current state of organization and model support. 

The 6z GFS has a TC landfall on the NE gulf coast on 9/22, i.e., delayed about a day from those 6 of

7 GFS runs with a 9/20-1 hit. If this 6z run is counted, that would make 7 of 8 of the last GFS runs with a US gulf coast hit during the 9/20-2 period fwiw.

Well, the 12Z GFS has a weaker (tropical or possibly subtropical) surface low hit the NE GoM coast on 9/22 but still causing quite wet conditions for parts of the SE US. That makes 8 of the last 9 runs with a gulf low making landfall on the N/NE GoM coast within 9/20-2.

Who knows? If a strong version of this were to verify, this could easily turn out to be the most impactful US tropical system for the rest of the season. This seems to be coming in conjunction with an advancing CCKW per Steve and others. Also, the MJO would be pretty favorable for September genesis per GEFS/Euro ens. projections of phase 1, 2, or just within circle for then. So, late next weekend may turn out to be an interesting time. I'd like to see the Euro come on board for this before getting close to confident in a threat. Nevertheless, the GFS is already telling me to be wary for around 9/20-2.

Classic Avila. I would not worry about it, for all we know things are about to light up. At least one other system besides Edouard will probably become potent.

Strong model support now for Edouard to intensify quite a bit, likely peaking as a lower end major in about five days. 93L looks great right now on visible loop. The globals are continuing to struggle with that system. The 12z Weenie model, otherwise known as the GGEM has 93L as a major moving SW towards the Bahamas in ten days.

New 12Z HWRF now takes the low to 991mb mid week in the NW Gulf. Hmm...

I've always found the HWRF being on the high end of intensity guidance. Perhaps the HWRF is picking up on the upper level winds out of the WSW helping to ventilate the storm as it starts taking off ENE.

This is of course if it can survive through the current hostile conditions.

For those that commonly use the Wundermap for model data, has anyone inquired with WU as to why certain model runs seem to go missing for a couple days at a time? This is happening again over the last 2 days. I've sent them some feedback hoping for a solution. 

Even the Euro hints at this. After having the surface low hit S/C TX on 9/17, it suggests much of the 92-L moisture/energy making a sharp turn toward the ENE as the 500 mb winds near 92L switch from an easterly component to WSW as the long wave 500 mb trough gets further down in the SE US. So, the WSW upper level winds seem to then take much of the moisture/energy ENE late next week even with the intact sfc low no longer existing on the 0z Euro after it hits TX.

1) The 12Z Euro is doing something similar to what I noted above for the 0Z Euro for 92L except it has it hit TX as a weak low on Tue 9/16 instead of Wed. 9/17. A lot of moisture then moves ENEward toward N Gulf coast/SE coast later in

the week.

2) The 12Z Euro does little with 93L. Though no early recurve is suggested, it also suggests it would have a hard time making it all of the way across fwiw. That's not surprising because climo says it would be especially hard this late (for CV's) in the season.

3) It still doesn't hit the northern Gulf coast with a surface low around 9/20-2 like 8 of the last 9 GFS runs have done.

Well, the 12Z GFS has a weaker (tropical or possibly subtropical) surface low hit the NE GoM coast on 9/22 but still causing quite wet conditions for parts of the SE US. That makes 8 of the last 9 runs with a gulf low making landfall on the N/NE GoM coast within 9/20-2.

Who knows? If a strong version of this were to verify, this could easily turn out to be the most impactful US tropical system for the rest of the season. This seems to be coming in conjunction with an advancing CCKW per Steve and others. Also, the MJO would be pretty favorable for September genesis per GEFS/Euro ens. projections of phase 1, 2, or just within circle for then. So, late next weekend may turn out to be an interesting time. I'd like to see the Euro come on board for this before getting close to confident in a threat. Nevertheless, the GFS is already telling me to be wary for around 9/20-2.

The 18Z gfs had a more strung out and more westward Gulf coast hit ~9/22 but still leading to heavy rain in parts of the SE US. However, the just released 0Z gfs is back to a more concentrated/potent low hitting the NE Gulf coast ~9/21. So, I'm calling it 10 of the last 11 GFS runs showing a GoM coast hit 9/20-2. However, the Euro has still yet to join the GFS.

Edouard would be the perfect storm to squeeze a major out of. No threat to land and nothing but the wide open Atlantic. Unfortunately, intensity models only bring it to strong category one.

That would make surfers on the east coast very happy. As it stands a decent swell will be created as the storm will be headed nw for a few days capturing the fetch and sending it to the north east us.

The 18Z gfs had a more strung out and more westward Gulf coast hit ~9/22 but still leading to heavy rain in parts of the SE US. However, the just released 0Z gfs is back to a more concentrated/potent low hitting the NE Gulf coast ~9/21. So, I'm calling it 10 of the last 11 GFS runs showing a GoM coast hit 9/20-2. However, the Euro has still yet to join the GFS.

Looks like the Euro favors some unsettled weather in the SW Gulf in the 7-10 day time frame.  Nothing organized though...

f216.gif

The MJO as well as a robust cckw continue to advance eastward toward the Western Atlantic Basin this morning. If we are going to see development and if conditions are favorable, this will likely best our best shot for tropical development during the next 7-10 days. The ensemble mean are insistent on lowering pressures across the SW Caribbean into the Gulf. The global dynamical guidance has been flirting with the idea of some form of TC genesis in the medium range along the monsoonal trough in both the EPAC and the Western Atlantic Basin.

Archived