amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Saturday clipper will test BowMe's theory that MKE doesn't do clippers well. :)

No backing down on my graze job for LAF with that one. Hopefully, we can get something out of it...but best will be north/northeast. 

As for today's clipper...some nice snow at times here in IKK this morning. IND and LAF look to be doing well.  

Manitoba MKE Misser..   Power of Izzy and a nice shift in the GFS will hopefully be enough to get me out of O'Hare on time at 9am.  I was hesitant agreeing to my 40th b-day down in the tropics of the Dominican but it looks like a perfect week to be gone with dry and cold weather.

Manitoba MKE Misser..   Power of Izzy and a nice shift in the GFS will hopefully be enough to get me out of O'Hare on time at 9am.  I was hesitant agreeing to my 40th b-day down in the tropics of the Dominican but it looks like a perfect week to be gone with dry and cold weather.

lol, yeah that's right. Hopefully you get out without a hitch. Enjoy the vacation...and many many drinks. :D

Nice disturbance moving trough the DSM area with +TSSN...

KDSM 162209Z COR 36022G31KT 1/16SM R31/1200V1800FT +TSSN BLSN FZFG VV003 M01/M03 A2968 RMK AO2 PK WND 31031/2200 TWR VIS 1/4 PRESRR OCNL LTG OHD TS OHD MOV SE P0006 T10111028

Sweet.

And now they're under a Blizzard Warning to boot.

POLK-JASPER-POWESHIEK-WARREN-MARION-MAHASKA-LUCAS-MONROE-WAPELLO-

APPANOOSE-DAVIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DES MOINES...NEWTON...GRINNELL...

INDIANOLA...NORWALK...CARLISLE...PELLA...KNOXVILLE...OSKALOOSA...

CHARITON...ALBIA...OTTUMWA...CENTERVILLE...BLOOMFIELD

436 PM CST THU JAN 16 2014

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM CST THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM CST THIS EVENING.

* SHORT TERM TRENDS...SNOW SQUALLS WILL PRODUCE WHITE OUT

CONDITIONS FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS THIS EVENING...MAKING TRAVEL

VERY DANGEROUS.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW/ICE ACCUMULATIONS...ONE TO TWO INCHES OF SNOW

ARE EXPECTED.

* WINDS/VISIBILITY...NORTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO AROUND 30

MPH WITH GUSTS TO NEAR 50 MPH. VISIBILITY WILL DROP TO NEAR ZERO

AT TIMES CREATING WHITE OUT CONDITIONS.

The observations for DSM are awesome. Rock and rolling.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDSM/2014/01/16/DailyHistory.html

2" last hour.

METAR KDSM 162254Z 33025G42KT 1/4SM R31/1000V6000FT -SN BLSN FZFG VV009 M06/M09 A2977 RMK AO2 PK WND 01043/2238 WSHFT 2202 TWR VIS 1/2 TSE13 PRESRR SLP091 TS MOV SE SNINCR 2/3 P0007 T10611094 $

I like LOTS cone of uncertainty in their graphic. I'll take the alternate track but I doubt it comes as far NE to gives se mich good snows. Would be nice to come home and see some snow. Been in irvine Cali visiting my bro all week. Got to 90 today. My bro said it only avgs around 64 this time of year. Bear mountain Ski resort he goes to up in mountains has only had 2 inches this season. Hasn't been this dry this late into season for at least 20 yrs my bro said.

There will still be snow when you get back regardless of what happens Saturday.

As of 7pm, have 1.9" imby and 2.0" at DTW....and just as I suspected, it has transformed us instantly back into winter wonderland, the old big dirty snow piles now freshly white. Now the next batch of squalls about to rotate in.

Weird night.... Scraped and salted everything and sitting here at home wondering when to go out for the next lap. Not snowing hard enough to stay out in the thick of things with this lull in the action. Hoping for another scrape and salt and see the asphalt by 7am.....

NOAA thinking another 1.5 by the end of things with the next batch of squalls. What you thinking -SNfreek

I honestly think LAF is good for 4-5" with some lolli 6's in the area. We're talking at least 20:1. Expecting similar results for my side of the state.

I'm riding the idea that LAF will be on the outskirts (southwest edge). But still should get a little love, maybe. FWA looking real good.

Went back and watched my snow squall/blizzard video again and noticed from about 1:47 to 1:50, you see a small quick snownado spin up on front of the bush and dissipate. Just a neat little observation :)

Nice video and photos, BTW. Thanks for posting them. 

Archived