Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Through Wednesday Lake Effect Snow Event

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUF only recorded 1.3" between 1050am and 3pm, the time when the airport was nearly continuously reporting heavy snow and verifying a blizzard.  

If you watched the radar the buffalo airport was in the screw hole all late morning/afternoon between those two bands. Unfortunately they might have some of the lowest totals out of this event. Places 5 miles north of them were parked under that 2 inch per hour band for 3-4 hours.

How did you work while there was a driving ban?

There was so many drivers that called in today, instead of training on Rochester, I took my usual Elmwood strip run today.  The City of Buffalo was not under a driving ban.  I suppose the Lackawanna cops could have stopped me from getting into work this morning since there was a driving ban here.  I got stopped on the way home from work but the cop let me through to get home.  

There was so many drivers that called in today, instead of training on Rochester, I took my usual Elmwood strip run today.  The City of Buffalo was not under a driving ban.  I suppose the Lackawanna cops could have stopped me from getting into work this morning since there was a driving ban here.  I got stopped on the way home from work but the cop let me through to get home.  

Ah. Airport should be getting some intense snowfall rates with that band that just set-up. I am seeing some green returns right over them, and with the radar in clear air mode those have to be some decent rates.

NOUS41 KBUF 072152

PNSBUF

NYZ001>008-010>014-019>021-085-080952-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

452 PM EST TUE JAN 07 2014

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...

FREDONIA 12.0 430 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

...ERIE COUNTY...

ELMA 18.0 215 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

3 WSW ELMA 17.9 430 PM 1/07 COCORAHS

ORCHARD PARK 15.0 230 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

MARILLA 14.0 215 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

WEST SENECA 14.0 215 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

SLOAN 12.0 430 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

HAMBURG 12.0 430 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

AKRON 8.0 400 PM 1/07 COCORAHS

LANCASTER 8.0 215 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

BUFFALO 7.6 300 PM 1/07 NWS OFFICE

WILLIAMSVILLE 4.5 254 PM 1/07 TRAINED SPOTTER

CLARENCE 4.0 215 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

...GENESEE COUNTY...

LE ROY 12.0 430 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...

WATERTOWN 15.0 120 PM 1/07 SOCIAL MEDIA

...LEWIS COUNTY...

2 W LOWVILLE 23.0 400 PM 1/07 STORM CHASER

...OSWEGO COUNTY...

REDFIELD 5.0 100 PM 1/07 STORM CHASER

SANDY CREEK 2.7 100 PM 1/07 STORM CHASER

...WYOMING COUNTY...

ATTICA 6.0 215 PM 1/07 AMATEUR RADIO

$$

AR

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but is there a travel ban currently in effect in buffalo or are people just using common sense and not driving? Just checked the traffic cameras and there is not a car on the road in Buffalo. All the highways are abandoned!

No driving ban in buffalo but all surronding towns have one issued,All major highways are barricaded except the 33 and the scajadaqua but nobody is out there,you can barely see in front of you!

There isn't a driving ban in the city of Buffalo, only an advisory against non-essential travel. Buffalonians are just staying home this evening.

correc but almost all the towns south and east if buffalo do have driving bans and they are enforcing it. Want to go to families house in lockport but theres no way because Id have to drive through 4-5 towns with driving bans in effect (including my town of OP) and id surely be stopped and possibily ticketed by a cop somewhere along the way.

A few Videos I took on my long walk around 3 this afternoon. Enjoy!

4 foot drifts in this video next to a fence

Overlooking the NYS thruway

NYS Thruway looking West & Eastbound- This is the best video out of the 4 I think. ^_^

Nice video! You are crazy though for venturing out like that lol  :arrowhead:

Archived