Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Through Wednesday Lake Effect Snow Event

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya theres no way any additional ice is forming on the lake today despite temps being below zero. The wind and waves are way too much to allow ice accumulation today.

There was patchy ice all over lake when i was driving on the 190N earlier,i think this is the it for Lake Erie man!

Yes.

yep, only light snow just starting back up here, still blowing all over though creating whiteouts in spots. Anyone have a guess on accumulations for Hamburg/OP when the band comes back south? Ill go with 4 more inches. I certainly agree with BuffaloWeather that 30"+ amounts in WNY will be hard to achieve but I can see some 2 foot plus totals possible if the band sets back up over us later on.

yep, only light snow just starting back up here, still blowing all over though creating whiteouts in spots. Anyone have a guess on accumulations for Hamburg/OP when the band comes back south? Ill go with 4 more inches. I certainly agree with BuffaloWeather that 30"+ amounts in WNY will be hard to achieve but I can see some 2 foot plus totals possible if the band sets back up over us later on.

Maybe another 4-8"? i still think those amounts are under reported,easy 2ft on the core of the band last night.

NWS just sent out an email that the radar is not rendering returns at all. Snow has begun here again, yet radar barely even shows it.

NWS just sent out an email that the radar is not rendering returns at all. Snow has begun here again, yet radar barely even shows it.

yep radar is all sorts of messed up. I'm only using the radar as a general idea of where the snow is falling. Your better off looking at a map of webcams to get a better idea of where the snow is coming down heaviest, Snow is picking up here again as well.

Was ecstatic to hear this back from the NWS.

"Rich, we had to make some changes to the pages. There are many interwoven links/references that need to be updated. The pages will return as time permits. We will also have some summaries posted for the 2013-2014 season, again as time permits."

The 1998-2004 lake effect pages will be coming back with updates. Yay! =)

Maybe another 4-8"? i still think those amounts are under reported,easy 2ft on the core of the band last night.

ya i think without those extreme winds last night we would have had about 2ft as Richard and I looked to be in the heart of the band for almost all of last evening, overnight, and early this morning and theres about 16" here. 8" more would make this a 2 foot storm and put me at 100" for the season. Snow really starting to come down here again now.

The Buffalo bands actually looks very weak and small compared to the Ontario band. Heard any news from the Tug Hill area?

again the Buffalo radar is having major problems causing a lack of reflectivities so it looks weaker than it is. No doubt that the Tug Hill band is going stronger then the Buffalo band, just not as much as you may think looking at radar.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

1251 PM EST TUE JAN 7 2014

NYZ010>012-085-072100-

NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-WYOMING-SOUTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BUFFALO...BATAVIA...WARSAW...

ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE

1251 PM EST TUE JAN 7 2014

...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR PORTIONS OF NIAGARA FRONTIER ...

ZERO VISIBILITY WITH WIND GUSTS TO 47 MPH WERE REPORTED AT THE

AIRPORT JUST AFTER 12 PM THIS AFTERNOON.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

BLINDING SNOW...WHITE OUT CONDITIONS...AND DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND

CHILLS TO 20 BELOW SHOULD BE EXPECTED IN THE BAND THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON. A CASUAL DRIVE OR TRIP OUTSIDE CAN QUICKLY LEAD TO A

LIFE THREATENING SITUATION WITHOUT PROPER WINTER GEAR.

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW HAS LIKELY REACHED ITS FURTHEST NORTHERN

EXTENT...AND SHOULD START TO DRIFT A LITTLE TO THE SOUTH THIS

AFTERNOON. EXPECT A CONTINUATION OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN AND

AROUND THE BAND FROM THE NORTHTOWNS TO THE SOUTHTOWNS AS WELL AS

THROUGHOUT MUCH OF GENESEE COUNTY. CONDITIONS ACROSS NORTHERN

WYOMING COUNTY WILL WORSEN AGAIN LATER THIS AFTERNOON AS THE BAND

BEGINS TO HEAD SOUTH.

$

ZAFF

Archived