Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Through Wednesday Lake Effect Snow Event

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all - former buffalo native now living in lancaster PA. Looks like a grand event. I have always been fascinated by snow, especially when lots of it comes down.  Love the pics and videos! My family lives in North Buffalo and Kenmore so I will need to give them a yell and see how it's going. Nothing like whiteout conditions lasting hours. As I posted in your other forum, I lived through the Buffalo winter of 76-77 and the blizzard of 77. School was off every week and then after the blizzard for two weeks. That was a winter to remember. Last flurries were in late May! Have fun with the event and stay safe.

Hey all - former buffalo native now living in lancaster PA. Looks like a grand event. I have always been fascinated by snow, especially when lots of it comes down.  Love the pics and videos! My family lives in North Buffalo and Kenmore so I will need to give them a yell and see how it's going. Nothing like whiteout conditions lasting hours. As I posted in your other forum, I lived through the Buffalo winter of 76-77 and the blizzard of 77. School was off every week and then after the blizzard for two weeks. That was a winter to remember. Last flurries were in late May! Have fun with the event and stay safe.

The grand daddy of all blizzards,it was actually the first ever weather event they declared a disaster for!

Blizzard77Roof.jpg

Report from the Ontario band near the lake shore per Millersville OWLeS:

4 degrees

Wind gusts over 40

SN w/ freezing lake spray

My friend stationed up there said their truck had 1/2" of ice accretion due to spray and they had to chip away at it before they can move. Crazy weather. They have experienced it all up there . They can't report a snow total because it's almost impossible with the winds

Thank you for the answers ayuud11 and lakeeffectkid382 :) Understand that it's difficult to calculate the snow because of the high winds.

But I hope that the band will turn a little north, across the town so I can follow it on the webcam here: http://buffalowebcam.com/live-webcams/elmwood-avenue-panos-restaurant

Please take photos or videos now when it's light outside!  B)

Some photos from past Lake Effect Snowstorms:

Buffalo, 2001: http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photoles2001a.html

Oswego, 2004: http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photoles2004a.html

Tug Hill, 2007: http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photoles2007a.html (numerous members from AmWx's predecessor Board "chased" this event; local meteorologist LakeEffectKing was extremely helpful).

Band is quite a bit weaker than I thought it would be seeing as its going up the entire fetch of Lake Erie. I think the brutal cold the last 24 hours has caused some insane increases in ice coverage which is limiting how much fuel this band can have. I will be going out to measure after I eat some brunch. I watched the radar for the entire day and I literally could not pick a better spot to be in as we were in the highest returns for over 12 hours. I still do not think 30+ inch amounts are realized with snowfall rates quite a bit lower than anticipated. The real insane rates are off of Ontario with little to no ice cover.

Also, Ayuud enjoy it man! =)

This event wouldn't be complete without a flash flood warning...

Flash Flood Warning

FLASH FLOOD STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
937 AM EST TUE JAN 7 2014

NYC029-063-072030-
/O.CON.KBUF.FF.W.0001.000000T0000Z-140107T2030Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
NIAGARA NY-ERIE NY-

...A FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 330 PM EST FOR THE
UPPER NIAGARA RIVER IN NORTHWESTERN ERIE AND SOUTHWESTERN NIAGARA
COUNTIES...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF NIAGARA FALLS AND GRAND ISLAND.

AT 930 AM EST...THE JOINT RIVER CONTROL CENTER CONTINUES TO ADVISE
OF THE POTENTIAL FOR ICE JAM FLOODING ON THE UPPER NIAGARA RIVER AS
A RESULT OF HIGH WINDS AND INCREASED ICE FLOWS. AN ICE JAM HAS
FORMED BETWEEN THE POWER AUTHORITY INTAKES AND CAYUGA ISLAND. THE
WATER LEVEL GAUGE AT THE LA SALLE YACHT CLUB IS READING SLIGHTLY
BELOW THE ZERO DAMAGE ELEVATION.

POTENTIAL FLOODING OF LOW LYING AREAS ON THE ROBERT MOSES PARKWAY
UNDER THE NORTH GRAND ISLAND BRIDGE IS OCCURRING. CONDITIONS ARE
UNSTABLE AND COULD WORSEN.

IF WATER LEVELS CONTINUE TO RISE FLOODING WILL DEVELOP ACROSS MUCH
OF CAYUGA ISLAND...AND ALSO IN THE VICINITY OF THE LA SALLE YACHT
CLUB IN THE CITY OF NIAGARA FALLS. FLOODING IS ALSO POSSIBLE ON
GRAND ISLAND IN THE VICINITY OF BASELINE ROAD. RESIDENTS SHOULD
MONITOR WATER LEVELS CLOSELY AND BE PREPARED TO SEEK HIGHER GROUND.

A cool observation:

01072014_1.jpg

The -5° reading ties the daily record set in 1942 and is Buffalo's coldest temperature since 1/24/2011 when the mercury fell to -8°.

Hey Don, what do you suppose caused the temp to drop like that, as it was 0 just 3 hours earlier?  Was it the wind shift to SW that brought in colder air from downstream?  I think temperatures in the Southern Tier of NY were running much lower than Buffalo today.  I have family in Mayville in Chautauqua county and they were saying it was -14 there this morning.

Band is quite a bit weaker than I thought it would be seeing as its going up the entire fetch of Lake Erie. I think the brutal cold the last 24 hours has caused some insane increases in ice coverage which is limiting how much fuel this band can have. I will be going out to measure after I eat some brunch. I watched the radar for the entire day and I literally could not pick a better spot to be in as we were in the highest returns for over 12 hours. I still do not think 30+ inch amounts are realized with snowfall rates quite a bit lower than anticipated. The real insane rates are off of Ontario with little to no ice cover.

there is a problem with the BUF radar causing reflectivites to be 5-8 dbz too low fwiw. I think the band is quite impressive even though it may not look like it on radar.

This event wouldn't be complete without a flash flood warning...

Flash Flood Warning

FLASH FLOOD STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

NYC029-063-072030-

/O.CON.KBUF.FF.W.0001.000000T0000Z-140107T2030Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

NIAGARA NY-ERIE NY-

...A FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 330 PM EST FOR THE

UPPER NIAGARA RIVER IN NORTHWESTERN ERIE AND SOUTHWESTERN NIAGARA

COUNTIES...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF NIAGARA FALLS AND GRAND ISLAND.

AT 930 AM EST...THE JOINT RIVER CONTROL CENTER CONTINUES TO ADVISE

OF THE POTENTIAL FOR ICE JAM FLOODING ON THE UPPER NIAGARA RIVER AS

A RESULT OF HIGH WINDS AND INCREASED ICE FLOWS. AN ICE JAM HAS

FORMED BETWEEN THE POWER AUTHORITY INTAKES AND CAYUGA ISLAND. THE

WATER LEVEL GAUGE AT THE LA SALLE YACHT CLUB IS READING SLIGHTLY

BELOW THE ZERO DAMAGE ELEVATION.

POTENTIAL FLOODING OF LOW LYING AREAS ON THE ROBERT MOSES PARKWAY

UNDER THE NORTH GRAND ISLAND BRIDGE IS OCCURRING. CONDITIONS ARE

UNSTABLE AND COULD WORSEN.

IF WATER LEVELS CONTINUE TO RISE FLOODING WILL DEVELOP ACROSS MUCH

OF CAYUGA ISLAND...AND ALSO IN THE VICINITY OF THE LA SALLE YACHT

CLUB IN THE CITY OF NIAGARA FALLS. FLOODING IS ALSO POSSIBLE ON

GRAND ISLAND IN THE VICINITY OF BASELINE ROAD. RESIDENTS SHOULD

MONITOR WATER LEVELS CLOSELY AND BE PREPARED TO SEEK HIGHER GROUND.

Are you keeping up with the count? because i certainly forgot how much warnings they've issued for the past 24hours!

there is a problem with the BUF radar causing reflectivites to be 5-8 dbz too low fwiw. I think the band is quite impressive even though it may not look like it on radar.

Any reports for lackawanna area? they were getting hit hard yesterday when i left i wonder how much fell over there.

Yeah I agree, mainly because of how cold it is. But were going to have to double what we already received in the hardest hit areas to get the 30+. It is certainly doable, but I think max amounts are going to be between 20-30 inches. Still an impressive event with the wind and cold.

I was thinking the high winds/waves we've had since the temps dropped would significantly limit ice formation.  Just a guess on my part...

This has been the view out the front of my house in Snyder near Main and Harlem for the past couple of hours. So glad I planned ahead to work from home today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/velouria13/blizzard.jpg

Me too, but I haven't done much work.  This damn forum is too distracting, not to mention the roaring wind and whiteout outside my windows....

Archived