SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
0z Model Discussion (1/2/14)

user13

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How far does the HRRR go at this moment?

Around 13Z tomorrow...too early to really assess our situation here since we are mainly entirely getting hit by the coastal precip a good 10 hours or more later...it does not look bad though back down to the SW which is the area which would eventually get involved with the coastal...it looks bad though for the ALB-Bos people who were hoping for the overrunning.

Take a glance at Craig Allen's writeup on Facebook. If post but I'm on my phone.

From his FB

Questions? I got plenty of them from you today.Here are a few answers......

A Blizzard warning does NOT mean you will be stuck in your home for days. It has nothing to do with snow amounts. Moderate to heavy snow + at least 3 hours duration + winds in excess of 35 mph = visibility under 1/4 mile = blizzard conditions.

But yes, you could get stranded on the roads during heavier periods of snow resulting in a whiteout and plows can't keep up with intensity or blowing & drifting.

Should I ravage the shelves of my local Waldbaums/ Stop & Shop etc?: Sure. If you feel like pushing and punching your fellow humans for 15 loaves of bread, 10 cartons of eggs or 8 gallons of milk, be my guest. But I don't know what you're going to do with it all. Sounds like a lot of french toast. You'll be able to get around just fine by Saturday, the latest. But beware the cold- more on that below.

Amounts: there's decent agreement amongst all models in all parameters except placement of the heaviest snow/ banding. So the going forecast generalities of 5-10/6-12 look good. It's not even worth mentioning " a little more here or a little less there". These amounts will be quite common regionwide. Plus, you won't be able to get accurate measurements anyway due to blowing and drifting.

Timing: snowflakes (even a little mix along south shore and NJ shore for a bit?) could be falling all day. But accumulations will be minor and easily handled by road crews All heck will start to break loose towards sundown and last thru Thursday night into Fri morning. That's when you should absolutely be snug and warm at home by then.

I-495/LIE: I can't believe they're thinking of closing it prior to the worst of the storm. This is NOT like last year's debacle between Exits 50 & 64 and other roads in Brookhaven Twshp. No other part of LI saw snowfall like that of 4-6" per hour. This will be more in the order of 1-2" at its worst. I admit, plows will have trouble keeping up with it, more so due to the wind. 

So, in answer to 'will I have school/ should I go to work?' : There is no reason not to in the morning but early dismissal should be thought about. Leave work early too and beat the craziness.

I can almost assure you there will be no school or work on Friday as the worst will first be winding down. So consider it a long holiday gift.

The cold will be BRUTAL. Coldest temps and definitely windchill in nearly a decade for some areas. The thermometer may drop below 0- even in the City! with windchills of 10-20 below. That is dangerous!!! Frostbite can occur in as little as 10 -15 minutes on exposed skin.

Yes I will now be working Thu & Fri on WCBS-AM/880

Yes, I wish the vacation was longer

Yes, I wish winter was over already

Yes, if you can find a dislike button, feel free to click it.

Around 13Z tomorrow...too early to really assess our situation here since we are mainly entirely getting hit by the coastal precip a good 10 hours or more later...it does not look bad though back down to the SW which is the area which would eventually get involved with the coastal...it looks bad though for the ALB-Bos people who were hoping for the overrunning.

The 850mb frontogenesis charts looked good though for I-90. Maybe that area will generate better tomorrow, unless that process weakens anyway.

I might be wrong but at 3hrs at 500, looks like the wave is digging more and stronger.

nam_namer_003_500_vort_ht.gif

That overall is a great look for a major storm over our area. The block could be a little more west based but overall that's a nice look. Look down towards Florida and fire whatever rays of death you can at the radar echos there, as that's what could screw us over by stealing from what the vorts over the Plains in this panel can deliver. But I think we'll all make out fine with what we have unless you're dreaming of Snowpocalypse as some were earlier today.

That overall is a great look for a major storm over our area. The block could be a little more west based but overall that's a nice look. Look down towards Florida and fire whatever rays of death you can at the radar echos there, as that's what could screw us over by stealing from what the vorts over the Plains in this panel can deliver. But I think we'll all make out fine with what we have unless you're dreaming of Snowpocalypse as some were earlier today.

agreed! def not a dec 2010 situation but I could def see 12-15" with the higher amounts over LI and SWCT. Lets wait until 6z until we start guessing qpf amounts though. NAM is looking great, on the other hand!

Lol I love when the run starts and people think a huge huge run is coming, every time LOL

I think this can be a storm that can deliver surprises. It will be quite dynamic with that sharp trough and energy coming through, plus the mega temp contrast between near zero land and 40s water. It should hopefully be fun while it's around.

Archived