joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z Model Discussion (1/2/14)

user13

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hour 24 is way more amplified, trough going negative tilt.

This is a much more favorable look at h5.

Sadly the better look at h5 doesn't really translate at the surface.

I feel like I am experiencing deja vu... literally every description of every model run today has been like this!

All the hype as run is going and then we are left with no big changes. Seems like consensus has been reached. Somewhere between 6-10 inches on avg. Some lollipops and some donut holes. Good moderate-heavy snow storm. Not quite a MECS but SECS for sure. Enjoy the snow.

Can anyone chime in that is able to give an explanation as to why these upper level features simply do not translate to the surface ? I keep hearing everyone say not to look at the model's qpf output....but the computer models are created to formulate just that based on many things including upper air data. Everyone is saying "looks great at h5....it should translate to the surface".....but run after run it just simply does not...even on the hi resolution nowcasting models. Any opinions? Haven't heard much about this "issue" in other winters but it seems to be "the thing" this winter.

Sounds about right. A trough going negative tilt with a favorable vort track and huge airmass contrast won't go idly by, trust me. At this point it's pretty much nowcasting- sit back and enjoy whatever's going to be our ride.

should be fun tomorrow night….going to be a solid winter storm with bitter temps after midnight...

Archived