joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of midnight, 3.0" total snow so far (current snow depth = 3.0") in Smithtown.  Temp was down to 15 ad midnight.

As of 12:43 we have light snow /blowing snow and the temp is still 15, although a few tenths lower than at 12:00.  Snow intensity seems to be picking up a bit ... and it better or it will take all night just to get to 6".  Visibility is quite low, but above 1/4 mile.  I've a hunch the best part of the show here might be around dawn and am going to try and talk myself into going to bed now.

Just got back from my 1/2 mile walk to and from Hailey's Pub in Metuchen.  Got there at 9 pm and found out they were closing at 10 pm!  First time they've ever closed early in the snow that I can recall (I always go there during night time storms - big windows and it's just fun to be out with folks who like snow - like to have a few beers and go out and check the snow and throw a few snowballs). 

Anyway, shoveled and measured the snow as of 10:45 pm and it was 3" then (average of a dozen or so measurements in the back yard - the deck is catching too much wind and blowoff from the roof).  I'm sure it's a bit more now, although it's only been light to moderate for awhile, but the radar looks like it's about to go off.  Temp is at 18F and winds are probably 10-15 mph.  It's stunningly gorgeous out there, folks.  Get out a little and enjoy it. 

Just took a walk around the back yard, which is fenced in and far enough away from any structures and relatively quiescent, measuring at least a dozen times, as of 12:30 am, and getting an average of about 4.25" - even with those conditions, the range was about 4" to 4.5".  In the front yard, which is much more exposed, drifting has started (some 8-9" drifts and some almost bare spots), so I never bother to measure there when it's windy.  Normally I use my deck in the back yard, as it's pretty large (650 ft2), but on a windy day, the variability is still greater than the backyard.  Temps are down to about 14F and winds are probably 10-15 mph with some gusts to 20 mph - enough to move this light, fluffy snow. 

I've noticed that this is, by far, the best snow I've ever seen with what looks to be mediocre radar returns.  We're under 15-20 DBZ right now and the snow looks to be moderate and normally I'd expect it to look a bit less heavy at that measurement.  Any obvious explanation, or am I imagining things? 

Just took a walk around the back yard, which is fenced in and far enough away from any structures and relatively quiescent, measuring at least a dozen times, as of 12:30 am, and getting an average of about 4.25" - even with those conditions, the range was about 4" to 4.5".  In the front yard, which is much more exposed, drifting has started (some 8-9" drifts and some almost bare spots), so I never bother to measure there when it's windy.  Normally I use my deck in the back yard, as it's pretty large (650 ft2), but on a windy day, the variability is still greater than the backyard.  Temps are down to about 14F and winds are probably 10-15 mph with some gusts to 20 mph - enough to move this light, fluffy snow. 

I've noticed that this is, by far, the best snow I've ever seen with what looks to be mediocre radar returns.  We're under 15-20 DBZ right now and the snow looks to be moderate and normally I'd expect it to look a bit less heavy at that measurement.  Any obvious explanation, or am I imagining things?

Cold snow reflects poorly, if this were wet, radar would be 30 - 35 DBz

you ain't imagining things....it is evil out there right now. wind driven and coming down hard.

It's always an internal debate do I stay up and watch the storm sleep a few hours by early morning and be cranky the next day, or let nature do it's work and go to sleep leaving me refreshed and ready to deal with the snow the next day.

Never a debate for me - we get so few really good storms, so I always watch them through the night and get a few 30-60 minute naps.  Fortunately, for this one, I'm still off tomorrow, so it's a non-issue.  I much prefer snow at night, so I can pay full attention to it (and so it doesn't melt vs. during the day). 

Never a debate for me - we get so few really good storms, so I always watch them through the night and get a few 30-60 minute naps. Fortunately, for this one, I'm still off tomorrow, so it's a non-issue. I much prefer snow at night, so I can pay full attention to it (and so it doesn't melt vs. during the day).

I'm actually also off tomorrow, everybody else is sleeping so it's quiet and beautiful out there.

Never a debate for me - we get so few really good storms, so I always watch them through the night and get a few 30-60 minute naps.  Fortunately, for this one, I'm still off tomorrow, so it's a non-issue.  I much prefer snow at night, so I can pay full attention to it (and so it doesn't melt vs. during the day). 

+1 Make a drink or a cup of coffee and enjoy!

Archived