Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early January Major/Potential Record Cold

Hoosier

Even the deep south/FL is getting in on it...from NWS Tallahassee

COLD TEMPERATURES WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY ON TUESDAY INTO  TUESDAY NIGHT. THE RAW GUIDANCE IS GENERALLY COLDER WITH AFTERNOON  MAX TEMPERATURES THAN THE STATISTICAL GUIDANCE. HAVE LEANED  TOWARDS THE COLDER END GIVEN THE STRENGTH OF THE AIRMASS AND THE  LOW SUN ANGLE OF EARLY JANUARY. MUCH OF SE ALABAMA AND SW GEORGIA  WILL REMAIN BELOW FREEZING ALL DAY, WITH MOST OF THE FLORIDA  PANHANDLE AND BIG BEND ONLY REACHING THE MID 30S. THIS WILL  LIKELY BE THE COLDEST DAY FOR THE REGION SINCE 1996.  

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-14 with a wind chill near -40 now here.  Snow still blowing around out there.  Normally when we get temps in the teens below zero it takes near calm conditions.  To have winds gusting to 35mph with these temps is extremely impressive/scary. 

The house has made some pretty loud popping noises tonight as the temps cool. 

-14 with a wind chill near -40 now here.  Snow still blowing around out there.  Normally when we get temps in the teens below zero it takes near calm conditions.  To have winds gusting to 35mph with these temps is extremely impressive/scary. 

The house has made some pretty loud popping noises tonight as the temps cool. 

Pure CAA  with this, normally we need clear skies and calm winds your right, but when the polar vortex is waving at you from your own back yard not so much...good luck.  House hasn't creaked here it did that weeks ago lol

We got to -20 before midnight at MSP, that could be important as that is the coldest high temp ever recorded in MN.  GFS 0z Mos says that we shouldn't drop below -20 for the rest of the day. It was canny accurate for the metro including dewpoints so I thought we had a chance, but looking out west the Mos guidance was way to cold compared to actual readings, current thinking is that we should see a high of about -17.

Low temps in MN didn't drop too much from what the readings were at midnight. My home town stayed at -20 the whole night. Impressive air mass, but the way this unfolded isn't going to stand out in the record books.

Same here, I had -19 at midnight and I'm reading -24 with a -40 windchill at the house now.  Being in the Mississippi River valley I'm a bit protected from the stronger winds...thankfully.

Like others, Cedar Rapids came up several degrees short of the predicted low temp.  The Euro consistently had about -23F this morning in CR for many runs in a row, and the NWS forecast was -22F, but it only managed to hit -17.  With the wind it's brutal, but -17F isn't a big deal.  It's not even close to 2009 when the airport hit -29F and -28 on consecutive mornings.

temp continues to drop here....

-43 (WC)

had to go out with the dog since he wouldn't go out on his own...you can actually feel your skin kinda start freezing after a few minutes...or at least that's what it felt like....wild

I should add....it honestly didn't feel like it was any colder than any of the other subzero days we have had before...but feeling the skin kinda "lock up" faster was the difference....definitely instant nose hair freeze weather though

Archived