joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/14 to 12/15 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

34 here. Upton has a high of 31 for me tomorrow.

Yea the cold front is already slower but it just passed over me here in Queens so lets see if we can drop.

- If not, this will end up like last weekend. The cold has underperformed all week. I had forecast lows 18 -21this week and the coldest I got was 23-24.

Temp should be just about starting to drop.  I was worried a little, especially given the NYC temps (we were much colder but radiating...almost doesn't count).

However now temps for locations right on the sound on the north shore of LI are running around 27 with a light breeze out of the north, the CT shore stations are a few degrees colder and and the tower at Upton is at 27 at 85 meters...I think we've finally got some genuine CAA.

The sound facing locations are about 10 -12 miles farther north than KNYC and this push of arctic air is lined up almost due east-west...maybe even a slight backdoor bend to it.  So it will be cooling in Gotham very shortly if it hasn't started already.  It will feel pretty cold outside in the morning,

On the other hand there is some push of warmer air aloft showing up as evidenced by the radar echos showing up over NW NJ.  This was modeled and is not surprising.

An even better way to tell that CAA is finally occurring is to watch the dewpoints dropping from north to south:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=RWR&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Everyone's winds went N or NE in the last hour...front is through. Temps will now drop slowly but steadily. Dews have been steady last few hours tho.

Archived