• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 1

dmc76

Looks like he updated...he has the 1-3/3-6 line going right through Tippecanoe county.

That's going down in flames. Well, I guess the lower end of 1-3" is possible.

BTW, might be some epic meltdowns from the LAF brothers if next week's storm trends toward rain.  ;)

I might have you delete my account. And then I'll find a new hobby. :)

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care how much snow is on the ground. I don't care that I now commute an hour and a half to work. I don't care how good this winter has been so far. I'm still sick of all of these storms that drive the warm air up this far, so we get rain. We jackpot on 6" storms and are always screwed by the big ones. They're either too far south, and we get "only" 9", or they're too amped to stay cold and we get rain.

Just once I want to see something truly epic here. We don't even get good thunderstorms in the summer because the damn things collapse right when they hit the Delaware County line.

It's better than living in upstate SC where you see 12"+ ten miles to your north in the mountains while you watch the thermometer sit at 32.5 all day as it pours rain, but still.

Okay. There's my rant. Using the thread for what it's here for.

I would just like to register a formal whine on behalf of all the Madison peeps. I realize that we have had seven or so fat years around here. However, we would take it as a divine favor if we could get a storm over 6 inches at some point this winter.

That is all.

I would just like to register a formal whine on behalf of all the Madison peeps. I realize that we have had seven or so fat years around here. However, we would take it as a divine favor if we could get a storm over 6 inches at some point this winter.

That is all.

For a complaint, that was very well written and elegant.  It's time that both Milwaukee and Madison cash in on a major storm again.  Maybe we get lucky next week Tuesday into Wednesday?

Gotta mention this here

Every single freakin' time I've had to travel this winter, be it by plane or car, there's been some big storm getting in my way. It sucks cuz it makes it harder to enjoy the snow

And now its looking like my flight to Atlanta AND BACK HOME will be during snow storms. 

Already had one flight canceled.....probably not gonna make it out of here on Saturday either.

Gotta mention this here

Every single freakin' time I've had to travel this winter, be it by plane or car, there's been some big storm getting in my way. It sucks cuz it makes it harder to enjoy the snow

And now its looking like my flight to Atlanta AND BACK HOME will be during snow storms. 

Already had one flight canceled.....probably not gonna make it out of here on Saturday either.

Taking them for the team... :violin:

You are still above normal and will end up above normal, if you are complaining about an above normal year than your standards are rarely going to be met. I think this argument has ran its course though, feel free to take up residency in the complaint thread if this pattern bothers you Toronto posters this much.

Stebo, with all do respect, your logic is a bit fuzzy. It's not complaining about an above normal year. It's complaining about the lack of snow relative to essentially every other locale within driving distance. Forget about averages. Look at this winter in a vacuum. I'm not sure how it's irrational as a snow lover to be disappointed about missing a historical winter by only a couple hundred miles.

Stebo, with all do respect, your logic is a bit fuzzy. It's not complaining about an above normal year. It's complaining about the lack of snow relative to essentially every other locale within driving distance. Forget about averages. Look at this winter in a vacuum. I'm not sure how it's irrational as a snow lover to be disappointed about missing a historical winter by only a couple hundred miles.

I agree. Those that have been on the fringes of a historic snowfall (or near) so far this season, have a reason to gripe. It's all relative. Kind of a stupid thing to say to people who are at average, or slightly above, that they should be satisfied...compared to others who have done really really well thus far. But, you know...

Thus see 2010-11 here.. It does kinda suck when you are the red headed step child so to speak.

My complaint.. People who complain about those complaining..

There have been plenty of years Chicago blew Detroit out of the water, there weren't complaints like this. Realistically this has to be the only time I have seen people complain while being above normal. And no it is fuzzy logic to look at a year in a vacuum and compare only to Detroit and Chicago. It boils down to storm track and you guys are just not in the perfect spot, but it isn't like you aren't getting a lot of snow. Hell we don't even have a valid snow total for Toronto considering the nipher problems at Pierson, so who knows what the valid number even is.

+1 

It isnt amusing when you experience two of the driest Winters on record within a span of 3 years. The GHD storm they all adored and were feasting upon, was nothing but a nuisance up our way. The media hype and excitement prior to it was extraordinary. Even last Winter, besides Feb 2013 it was pretty sh!t. Getting a solid snow pack was hard to come by, with the consistent warm intrusions.

In theory, we have every right to complain.  

There have been plenty of years Chicago blew Detroit out of the water, there weren't complaints like this. Realistically this has to be the only time I have seen people complain while being above normal. And no it is fuzzy logic to look at a year in a vacuum and compare only to Detroit and Chicago. It boils down to storm track and you guys are just not in the perfect spot, but it isn't like you aren't getting a lot of snow. Hell we don't even have a valid snow total for Toronto considering the nipher problems at Pierson, so who knows what the valid number even is.

And that, in combination with our relative misfortune the last several years, is sufficient reason to complain. I think if you try to empathize a bit you'd see that you'd be as upset if the shoe was on the other foot.

My complaint.. People who complain about those complaining..

Or complaining about complaints...that complain about complainers. Or something. :lol:

Geez, why can't people just get along, and respect each other's opinions. :D Some peeps have been screwed so far, relatively speaking. Hopefully they make up for lost time soon.

Or complaining about complaints...that complain about complainers. Or something. :lol:

Geez, why can't people just get along, and respect each other's opinions. :D Some peeps have been screwed so far, relatively speaking. Hopefully they make up for lost time soon.

lol

Downtown Toronto has 32.1" for the season and YKZ (Markham) has 38.1" for the season. On average we see between 45-51" per season. However, as I stated before its been all nickle and dime events. We missed out on a nice potential back in late November and this set the tone for many more missed opportunities in December and January while all you guys cashed in and I'm happy for you! 

I agree. Those that have been on the fringes of a historic snowfall (or near) so far this season, have a reason to gripe. It's all relative. Kind of a stupid thing to say to people who are at average, or slightly above, that they should be satisfied...compared to others who have done really really well thus far. But, you know...

I'm on your side.  Take 2007-2008 for example.  We did well but I was still jealous of Madison. 

Hey now!! :P

But yeah i agree.

And that, in combination with our relative misfortune the last several years, is sufficient reason to complain. I think if you try to empathize a bit you'd see that you'd be as upset if the shoe was on the other foot.

I have had good years and ****ty years, I am not going to dwell on the ****ty years. Like I said in the other thread there are averages for a reason, you will have some sort of great year coming where the rest of the subforum gets squat, it works both ways.

And that's the other problem. I'm not sure why Stebo thinks he's the arbiter of what the threshold is for valid complaining.

What makes people from Toronto the arbiters? I am not the only one tired of Toronto people complaining every storm

Hey now!! :P

But yeah i agree.

You know I wasn't directing that towards you, specifically. Just using your post. :)

Winter is serious biz, but I can empathize with those that haven't done as well thus far. Everyone has been there at some point. Hope for the best for those, the rest of the way...

I have had good years and ****ty years, I am not going to dwell on the ****ty years. Like I said in the other thread there are averages for a reason, you will have some sort of great year coming where the rest of the subforum gets squat, it works both ways.

What makes people from Toronto the arbiters? I am not the only one tired of Toronto people complaining every storm

You're the one trying to establish some sort of objective criteria, not me. According to Stebo, above average snowfall = no right to complain. Below average = right to complain. Questions: where do you get the authority to a) determine this criteria and b] impose it on me?

And lol about being tired of the complaining. It's one or two flippant comments per storm thread. How do you get out the door in the morning?

You're the one trying to establish some sort of objective criteria, not me. According to Stebo, above average snowfall = no right to complain. Below average = right to complain. Questions: where do you get the authority to a) determine this criteria and B) impose it on me?

And lol about being tired of the complaining. It's one or two flippant comments per storm thread. How do you get out the door in the morning?

One or two :lol:, and fine keep complaining about not having historic snow because that is rational. I'll check out of this thread and let you complain away. 

Archived