12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
CAD storms thread.

dsaur

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys if I were NWS and to an extent the Euro agrees on what the Nam and GFS are showing, even tho its starting to be at the point where the Euro's range is not as useful, I would definitely put out an Ice Storm Warning and put the emphasis on what kind of impact this would have to the area as a Winter Storm Warning is used more for snow and sleet purposes and in my mind wouldnt grab the communities attention as much. That amount of qpf, what it would do to the area if it switched over to freezing rain rather quickly would be a severe event to say the least.

It's a tough call.  I'm not convinced it switches over too fast.  GFS would imply a little longer sleet/snow scenario.  We definitely are getting freezing rain and lots of it... but I think we see hours of sleet if not a little snow too.  GFS colder than the NAM but not has extreme with QPF totals..  Probably more realistic.  Actually shows the first 6-9 hours of the storm being the most severe then freezing drizzle..  Still plenty to cause problems though.  My temp sitting at 44 degrees right now and dewpoint still well in the 30's.. Need to see those dewpoints start nosing down.

Appears to be two different thoughts right now.  The NAM wants to bring the wedge in right down the eastern blue ridge and hold it there for a good while, the GFS wants to bring in a more wider wedge mostly confined to central NC.  Don't know which is right.

EURO also likes trapping the colder air along the escarpment. Probably go with the NAM. GFS too quick to let go maybe.

1488776_548232751936390_2035534758_n.jpg

Not sure if this belongs here or obs, but I've noticed the temp has risen since this morning.  I thought the temps were to decrease as the day went on.

After the cold front passed, there wouldn't be any big drop during the day. After all, there's little to no precip, so the sun will fight back some.

Congrats to those north of me. Very weak for Hickory. Looks like the initial thump is a waste as its not cold enough. Longer duration of cold but precip is not even falling.

Crawdud....Yesterday you were complaining about the lack of precip......now since the models have up the totals, which I knew they would, you are complaining about the temps not being cold enough. Interesting..... That's ok you can still drive to Mt. Airy and report back to us......

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

439 PM EST SAT DEC 7 2013

TNZ013>018-035>047-VAZ001-005-006-008-080900-

CAMPBELL-CLAIBORNE-HANCOCK-HAWKINS-SULLIVAN-JOHNSON-MORGAN-

ANDERSON-UNION-GRAINGER-HAMBLEN-NORTHWEST COCKE-

COCKE SMOKY MOUNTAINS-NORTHWEST GREENE-SOUTHEAST GREENE-

WASHINGTON TN-UNICOI-NORTHWEST CARTER-SOUTHEAST CARTER-LEE-SCOTT-

RUSSELL-WASHINGTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LA FOLLETTE...TAZEWELL...SNEEDVILLE...

ROGERSVILLE...KINGSPORT...BRISTOL...MOUNTAIN CITY...WARTBURG...

CLINTON...OAK RIDGE...MAYNARDVILLE...RUTLEDGE...MORRISTOWN...

NEWPORT...COSBY...GREENEVILLE...CEDAR CREEK...JOHNSON CITY...

ERWIN...ELIZABETHTON...ROAN MOUNTAIN...JONESVILLE...GATE CITY...

LEBANON...ABINGDON

439 PM EST SAT DEC 7 2013

...PATCHY FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE LATE TONIGHT INTO EARLY SUNDAY

MORNING...

SCATTERED LIGHT RAIN SHOWERS WILL DEVELOP AND MOVE NORTH ACROSS THE

SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION TONIGHT AS A FRONTAL BOUNDARY LIFTS

ACROSS THE AREA. OVERNIGHT LOWS WILL FALL INT0 THE LOWER TO MID 30S

ACROSS NORTHEAST TN AND SOUTHWEST VA. POCKETS OF LIGHT FREEZING

RAIN ARE POSSIBLE AT LOCATIONS THAT SEE TEMPERATURES FALL TO OR BELOW

FREEZING. PLACES WITH THE GREATEST RISK OF FREEZING RAIN WILL BE

SOUTHWEST VA...THE NORTHERN CUMBERLAND PLATEAU...THE NORTHEAST TN

MOUNTAINS AND COLDER SHADED VALLEYS. FREEZING RAIN AMOUNTS SHOULD

BE LOW WITH ONLY A TRACE TO A COUPLE OF HUNDREDTHS EXPECTED. THIS

MAY CAUSE PATCHY BLACK ICE AND SLICK CONDITIONS TO DEVELOP ON

ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. TEMPERATURES SHOULD CLIMB ABOVE FREEZING BY

MID MORNING...ENDING THE THREAT OF FREEZING RAIN.

MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO SLOW DOWN AND DRIVE WITH CAUTION..

After evaluating the 18Z GFS and NAM its looking like a solid 1.25-1.50 qpf event is about to unfold starting in the next 12-15 hours. Should be a fun one tomorrow.

Good luck... one way or the other. Hopefully you enjoy some winter weather without disruptive consequences, Looks fairly benign here. If it is not going to snow, I am fine with that.

Models just can't handle it. I think the best mets and forecasters will be right with this one. Ice Storm Warnings in North Carolina are way overdone.

That's nice of you to imply that the NWS doesn't have any good meteorologists and that they issued Ice Storm Warnings for nothing. Why don't you wait until the event has passed before casting stones? RAH is usually a pretty conservative WFO, so I pay attention when they issue Ice Storm Warnings well ahead of time.

NWS it's more of a liability and safety concern for the general public. Brad, Ray, Robert, DT, and more are hard to bet against. 

That's nice of you to imply that the NWS doesn't have any good meteorologists and that they issued Ice Storm Warnings for nothing. Why don't you wait until the event has passed before casting stones? RAH is usually a pretty conservative WFO, so I pay attention when they issue Ice Storm Warnings well ahead of time.

This kind of brings me back to my statement made earlier in the day though. In no way am I bashing any meteorologists because I would be the last person to bash someone's career when they have worked hard for what they do. However I just cannot put into perspective why in the world they have winter storm warnings up when they are forecasting a large part of the afd to receive upwards of 1/2'' of ice. It just seems to defeat the purpose of even having the ice storm warning option if there not going to even utilize it and instead reserve it when the winter storm warning is supposed to meet a certain criteria and I don't believe 1" of sleet and/or snow will make the criteria. I guess im griping over something ridiculous but it kind of made me scratch my head a little when in fact i'm sure they'll go ahead and issue a ice storm warning midway thru the event. 

NWS it's more of a liability and safety concern for the general public. Brad, Ray, Robert, DT, and more are hard to bet against. 

Once again, If you don't know what you are talking about, then it is best that you don't talk. The NWS has some very knowledgeable mets and some of them post in our forum. I don't think they would appreciate your attitude in regards to their forecasts. Sit back, shut up, and learn from them....please.

This kind of brings me back to my statement made earlier in the day though. In no way am I bashing any meteorologists because I would be the last person to bash someone's career when they have worked hard for what they do. However I just cannot put into perspective why in the world they have winter storm warnings up when they are forecasting a large part of the afd to receive upwards of 1/2'' of ice. It just seems to defeat the purpose of even having the ice storm warning option if there not going to even utilize it and instead reserve it when the winter storm warning is supposed to meet a certain criteria and I don't believe 1" of sleet and/or snow will make the criteria. I guess im griping over something ridiculous but it kind of made me scratch my head a little when in fact i'm sure they'll go ahead and issue a ice storm warning midway thru the event. 

Actually if you read the criteria for a "winter storm warning", it does include the 1/4 inch or greater of freezing rain. Winter storm warnings are typically issued if you are expected to have a mixed bag in which one of the required criteria groups is forecasted to be met. In this case it would be the freezing rain that would exceed warning criteria. Although you will probably see a little of everything up there. Hope that helps to clear it up.

Actually if you read the criteria for a "winter storm warning", it does include the 1/4 inch or greater of freezing rain. Winter storm warnings are typically issued if you are expected to have a mixed bag in which one of the required criteria groups is forecasted to be met. In this case it would be the freezing rain that would exceed warning criteria. Although you will probably see a little of everything up there. Hope that helps to clear it up.

RAH did mention that the criteria would be met in scattered instances. **So this is like a chance of scatter frost; not a widespread occurrence. Probably open areas facing north.   

Actually if you read the criteria for a "winter storm warning", it does include the 1/4 inch or greater of freezing rain. Winter storm warnings are typically issued if you are expected to have a mixed bag in which one of the required criteria groups is forecasted to be met. In this case it would be the freezing rain that would exceed warning criteria. Although you will probably see a little of everything up there. Hope that helps to clear it up.

Appreciate it like I said in no way was I trying to be a smart a** like the other gentleman.

Archived