Pre-Thanksgiving Cold, LES/Other Snow Prospects

Geos

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

354 PM EST MON NOV 25 2013

...SIGNIFICANT LAKE EFFECT SNOW POSSIBLE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT

THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORTHERN INDIANA HAS ISSUED A

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY

NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* LAKE EFFECT SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BY LATE EVENING TUESDAY

NIGHT AND INTENSIFY SIGNIFICANTLY TOWARD DAYBREAK WEDNESDAY.

SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR WITH SNOWFALL TOTALS

OF 6 TO 12 INCHES POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA. LOCALLY

HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE IF BANDS PERSIST.

* NORTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH WILL LEAD TO AREAS OF BLOWING

AND DRIFTING.

Yep, Gilbert, I may have to alter my travel plans and leave Elkhart Tues.late afternoon or else wait till Thanksgiving morning to go west to the Calumet region for the holiday.  Don't want to fight zero visability and 6-12 inches or more of snow with 1 to 2 inch an hr. rates.

Will be watching this forum and forecasts closely.

Yep, Gilbert, I may have to alter my travel plans and leave Elkhart Tues.late afternoon or else wait till Thanksgiving morning to go west to the Calumet region for the holiday.  Don't want to fight zero visability and 6-12 inches or more of snow with 1 to 2 inch an hr. rates.

Will be watching this forum and forecasts closely.

At most, the band will only be several miles wide in the heaviest area.... They're really good down there at keeping the toll road clear in events like this.  I wouldn't alter travel plans for it.

A few hours of windblown snow tonight as I was out and about. For some reason, only a trace imby (some snow dusted into cracks is about all) but 0.1-0.2" in nearby areas. Either way, its nice to see flakes, but as said, that novelty of the first snowflakes/dusting/etc has passed ever since our solid coating Nov 11th...Im ready to break out the shovel!

BTW, Ann Arbor doesn't average 55-60 inches... I would put them around 45.

Although they probably averaged that last decade 2000-2010.

Longterm Id put them closer to 50". 45" is just a few inches higher than Detroit and Ann Arbor definitely averages several inches higher. Like you said however...the last decade it is indeed 55-60".

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=dtx This shows the 58 figure for the 30 year average, but so many locations are wrong, its hard to believe how accurate that is.

U of M has a very dedicated weather team it appears. They man two stations in Ann Arbor, and follow the 6-hour rule for measuring snow. So, basically, they are already in one of the snowiest areas of SE MI and unlike so many coop observers, they measure the right way. And for sure everyones averages took a hike after the 2000s.

U of M has a very dedicated weather team it appears. They man two stations in Ann Arbor, and follow the 6-hour rule for measuring snow. So, basically, they are already in one of the snowiest areas of SE MI and unlike so many coop observers, they measure the right way. And for sure everyones averages took a hike after the 2000s.

Elevation is a huge deal in SEMI

Elevation is a huge deal in SEMI

It is...but as I said....missing/incorrect data renders many of the non-first order stations completely incorrect.

For instance, no way does ARB average 58.3" but Howell 32.2". No way does DTW average 44.1" and Grosse Pointe 27.2" :lol:. I take all but DTW, FNT, MBS, DTX, and ARB with a grain of salt.

DAB here in Windsor area. Got in a light salting on two of my main lots which have zero tolerances WRT snow. Everything seems to be falling into place for winter to be a success.

Its funny how two locations with a few miles of each other can vary with so much deviation. I wonder how much difference there is between Detroit City and Windsor airport.

Archived