12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Pre-Thanksgiving Cold, LES/Other Snow Prospects

Geos

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Air mass is over performing here. 9° currently.

how bout it...quite chilly this morning...second round of below zero windchills underway...

temp is 12 and windchill is -4

I think this is the second below zero windchill for me and it's not even thanksgiving yet...(it may have occurred over the course of three or four days, including the other past occurrence, depending on the timestamps of OBS's)....

bo, I agree, very impressive totals so far in NWL MI. Looking like more snow should pile up between now and Sunday morning. We will be driving all over up there starting tonight, Higgins Lake to Onaway/Black Lake tomorrow. Then heading over to Petoskey down to Travers City for some "Black Friday" shopping Friday and back to Higgins. Hope the roads are ok.

The jackpot for southern LM should be somewhere in the triangle of Rolling Prairie/La Porte, South Bend, and Benton Harbor. Still debating on whether or not a chase would be worth it, though.  :snowwindow:

Was just ripping here in St. Joe city, not county, with maybe 1/8 mile or less vis for almost an hour! Incredible for eve of Turkey Day. Looks like mid-winter, so prolly worth it..

Really nice straight plume now.

GRR.N0Q.20131127.0544.gif

That delivered about 6-8 inches from what I saw this morn about 7am

bo, I agree, very impressive totals so far in NWL MI. Looking like more snow should pile up between now and Sunday morning. We will be driving all over up there starting tonight, Higgins Lake to Onaway/Black Lake tomorrow. Then heading over to Petoskey down to Travers City for some "Black Friday" shopping Friday and back to Higgins. Hope the roads are ok.

Glutton for punishment, eh? Stay safe, and Happy Thanksgiving. Good to see you posting SP.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

200 PM EST WED NOV 27 2013

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...

..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0100 PM     HEAVY SNOW       COLOMA                  42.19N  86.31W

11/27/2013  M10.0 INCH       BERRIEN            MI   BROADCAST MEDIA

STORM TOTAL SO FAR.

This observation is from the northern side of South Bend.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA317 PM EST WED NOV 27 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0252 PM     HEAVY SNOW       1 NNE GEORGETOWN        41.75N  86.22W11/27/2013  M12.5 INCH       ST. JOSEPH         IN   PUBLIC            STORM TOTAL. 9.1 NEW SNOWFALL SINCE 7 AM. 11.5 INCH            SNOW DEPTH. STILL SNOWING HEAVILY

Another high total.

0334 PM     HEAVY SNOW       BERRIEN CENTER          41.96N  86.28W
11/27/2013  M12.0 INCH       BERRIEN            MI   TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL

Nice camera shot Gilbert!

Looks like a pretty robust clipper/disturbance already ongoing in NE Minnesota/NW Wisconsin.  Wonder if that means any shifts south or north possible?  I would think stronger could actually push it south, but probably just a few snow showers here in the next 24 hours.  Regardless, a White Thanksgiving is a wrap with still an inch or so on the ground in most areas (especially shaded ones).

Looks like a pretty robust clipper/disturbance already ongoing in NE Minnesota/NW Wisconsin.  Wonder if that means any shifts south or north possible?  I would think stronger could actually push it south, but probably just a few snow showers here in the next 24 hours.  Regardless, a White Thanksgiving is a wrap with still an inch or so on the ground in most areas (especially shaded ones).

Nice band from Grand Rapids, MN to Rice Lake. Heading almost due SE.

Edit: If that does somehow reach MKX cwa, then it the prediction by that office should come true.

"Fake" snow or not, pretty impressive:

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
620 PM EST WED NOV 27 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0515 PM HEAVY SNOW 4 SSE SPINKS CORNERS 42.04N 86.29W
11/27/2013 M15.0 INCH BERRIEN MI PUBLIC

STORM TOTAL. MEASUREMENTS TAKEN IN SEVERAL DIFFERENT
LOCATIONS AND AVERAGED.

We're under a LES warning again for up to a foot of snow by tomorrow.   West end of the city IMBY is more at risk than the east end but even here the bands may migrate a bit too far west to really get us in the city.  EC has indicated as much and the latest radar is hinting at this scenario.   We'll see what happens later in the night.  Just came in from shoveling  - probably another 2-3 inches today on top of the weekend dump.   It looks a lot more like mid-winter than November.   This isn't unheard of here, just very unusual.   Starting to make up for the last couple of crappy snow years.

post-2415-0-98321900-1385604736_thumb.jp

Does the west side usually get hit more by the Lake Effect snow? I'm just interested in the climatology.

I think the west side tends to get hit harder with the mega-dumps like last weekend for example, perhaps because we are closer distance-wise to Huron,  altho' the entire city was basically nailed in Dec. 2010.  It's often a share-the-wealth deal where one time the west end may get more, the next time the wind might be a touch more WNW and the east end gets more.  I can't recall a time where one end got a lot and the other end of the city was totally shutout because the bands tend to migrate at least a little bit and everybody would get something before it quit.   

We're under a LES warning again for up to a foot of snow by tomorrow.   West end of the city IMBY is more at risk than the east end but even here the bands may migrate a bit too far west to really get us in the city.  EC has indicated as much and the latest radar is hinting at this scenario.   We'll see what happens later in the night.  Just came in from shoveling  - probably another 2-3 inches today on top of the weekend dump.   It looks a lot more like mid-winter than November.   This isn't unheard of here, just very unusual.   Starting to make up for the last couple of crappy snow years.

attachicon.gifIMG_2126.JPG

You guys going to have like 2 feet on the ground... jeez.

Archived