• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Pre-Thanksgiving Cold, LES/Other Snow Prospects

Geos

LES looks to make a return to areas that usually receive snowfall in a NW flow over the weekend and into next week. 

EURO is showing a small system on Monday that could be something of note outside of the areas that have been impacted by LES.

Looks like lows could get into the teens over widespread area for the first time this season.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
824 PM CST THU NOV 21 2013 /924 PM EST THU NOV 21 2013/

..IMPRESSIVE EARLY SEASON COLD SNAP ON THE WAY THIS WEEKEND

BASED ON CURRENT FORECASTS...ROCKFORD AND CHICAGO COULD BE ON
TRACK TO HAVE THE COLDEST 2 DAY PERIOD FOR SO EARLY IN THE SEASON
SINCE BACK ON NOVEMBER 21ST AND 22ND 2000.

FORECASTS FOR THIS WEEKEND CALL FOR HIGHS IN THE MID 20S TO
AROUND 30 AND LOWS IN THE MID TEENS TO LOWER 20S IN
CHICAGO...WITH READINGS LIKELY TO BE JUST A COUPLE DEGREES COLDER
IN ROCKFORD.

BACK ON NOV 21ST AND 22ND, 2000 ROCKFORD HAD HIGH TEMPERATURES OF 30
AND 26 RESPECTIVELY WITH LOW TEMPERATURES BOTH DAYS OF 11 DEGREES.
IN CHICAGO...THE HIGH TEMPERATURES WERE 24 AND 30 WITH LOW
TEMPERATURES OF 14 DEGREES BOTH DAYS. SO WHILE IT IS NOT
UNPRECEDENTED TO SEE TEMPERATURES SO UNSEASONABLY COLD THIS
EARLY...IT IS FAR FROM COMMON.

SWS out for the Quad Cities area tonight. Rain changing rapidly to snow just west of the MS River.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL1142 PM CST THU NOV 21 2013IAZ054-064>068-076>078-087-ILZ001-015-220900-JACKSON-JOHNSON-CEDAR-CLINTON-MUSCATINE-SCOTT-KEOKUK-WASHINGTON-LOUISA-JEFFERSON-JO DAVIESS-ROCK ISLAND-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MAQUOKETA...IOWA CITY...TIPTON...CLINTON...MUSCATINE...BETTENDORF...DAVENPORT...SIGOURNEY...WASHINGTON...WAPELLO...FAIRFIELD...GALENA...MOLINE...ROCK ISLAND1142 PM CST THU NOV 21 2013...PATCHY FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE...BEFORE CHANGING TO ALL SNOW BY 3AM...AREAS OF LIGHT TO VERY LIGHT RAIN WILL MOVE ACROSS THE REGION THROUGH3 AM. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TO NEAR OR BELOW 32 DEGREES BEFORE 3 AM.THIS MAY ALLOW FOR PATCHY FREEZING ON EXPOSED SURFACES AND BRIDGES.THE RAIN OR ISOLATED FREEZING RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW BY 3 AM. ANYPRECIPITATION TOTALS WILL BE LIGHT OF A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH ORLESS AND COMBINED WITH GROUND TEMPERATURES CURRENTLY SEVERAL DEGREESABOVE FREEZING...THIS MAY RESULT IN ANY ICE ACCUMULATIONS TO BE AGLAZE ON EXPOSED SURFACES. AFTER THE PRECIPITATION CHANGES TO LIGHTSNOW OR FLURRIES BY 3 AFTER MIDNIGHT...A DUSTING TO A QUARTER INCHOF SNOW IS POSSIBLE.THOSE INDIVIDUALS OUTSIDE AND AREA MOTORISTS SHOULD BE ALERT FORSLIPPERY SPOTS THROUGH 3 AM.

EURO showing accumulations from north of a line running Keokuk, IA to the Chicago Loop. Mostly under an inch, except for out in the Iowa City area.

I'm surprised APX hasn't issued any headlines, there should be something interesting happening around Kalkaska/Cadillac/Gaylord.

My guess is they'll issue an adv later today. Possibility exists of a real heavy snow in the vicinity of Grand Traverse Bay Area if winds lock in nnw.

I'm thinking a general 4-5" and isolated 8" amounts as things stand now.

As witnessed last year, lake effect in nw lower always has a few surprises.

Zone has 4-6" with more accum possible sat night so I'm def saying advisories go out tonight.

Tonight: Mostly clear in the evening...then occasional snow showers after midnight. Blowing snow after midnight. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Lows in the lower 20s. West winds 5 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph increasing to 30 mph after midnight.

Saturday: Occasional snow showers. Blowing snow. Breezy... Colder. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 4 inches. Highs in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 35 mph.

Saturday Night: Breezy...colder. Occasional snow showers. Blowing snow. Accumulation possible. Lows around 11. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

Just released by APX

Lake effect snow showers will increase late tonight across East Upper and Northwest Lower Michigan, and then continue through Saturday and Saturday night. Based on predicted wind directions, the heaviest snow is expected to occur across Northwest Lower Michigan along and west of US-131, including the communities of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Traverse City, and Frankfort. By Sunday morning, 5 to 9 inches of new snow will be likely in these areas, with locally greater amounts a good possibility. Across East Upper Michigan, lesser amounts of snow are expected. Several inches will likely fall around Whitefish Point, with heavier amounts expected to the west of Whitefish Point.

As expected APX issues an advisory.....  likely upgraded in parts to warning tomorrow.

A PERIOD OF HEAVIER SNOWFALL EXPECTED OVERNIGHT WITH THE
   PASSAGE OF THE ARCTIC FRONT.

* HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS DEVELOP ON SATURDAY AND PERSIST
   THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* LAKE EFFECT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES BY SUNDAY
   MORNING WITH LOCALIZED ACCUMULATIONS EXCEEDING 12 INCHES
   POSSIBLE.

* GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS WILL PRODUCE SOME BLOWING SNOW AND SINGLE
   DIGIT WIND CHILL READINGS.

my zone cast is 7-14" with accum possible after that. nice call jonger!

As expected APX issues an advisory.....  likely upgraded in parts to warning tomorrow.

THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

POSSIBLE.

No kiddin nice call! LES is one of the harder things to get right too. Looking like the vectors are pretty favorable for my old place in eastern GT county to get some decent early season action too. Keep the pic's coming when you get the chance. Enjoy

THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

POSSIBLE.

It actually looks like APX issued a watch kicking in at 7am tomorrow. The winds literally look like they shift less than 10 degrees from tomorrow morning through Sunday morning on the NAM. With a very high cap I don't see why someone won't get clocked up your way.

It actually looks like APX issued a watch kicking in at 7am tomorrow. The winds literally look like they shift less than 10 degrees from tomorrow morning through Sunday morning on the NAM. With a very high cap I don't see why someone won't get clocked up your way.

yeah I mistook the watch for an advisory.... colors are so close

Band of -SN moving through DLH, 20° only there.

Nice pic Bo. What's the snow shovel doing under the tree!?

My old neighbor would shovel a huge circle of snow down to the grass around his big Maple tree so he could feed the dumb pigeons. Bleck. Atleast shovel "grass circles" for birds that are a bit more, desirable.

yeah I mistook the watch for an advisory.... colors are so close

On the national map I thought it was an advisory too (and was kind of surprised) until I looked closer. Was surprised to see them go watch this close to the start of the heavy snow but I guess this gives them another few hours to really fine tune things.

my puppy poops like a grown man.  I use a small rake and the shovel to keep the yard clean.... nice ob!

:lol:

My old neighbor would shovel a huge circle of snow down to the grass around his big Maple tree so he could feed the dumb pigeons. Bleck. Atleast shovel "grass circles" for birds that are a bit more, desirable.

Well I keep a shovel on the back porch, but it's to shovel out from underneath the bird feeder and by the grill. Rarely see pigeons here on the property - about everything else though!

Forecasted low tomorrow is 10°.

From DVN. -5° - 0° mentioned.

...BITTER COLD WEATHER THIS WEEKEND...A BLAST OF ARCTIC AIR INVADING EASTERN IOWA...NORTHWEST ILLINOISAND NORTHEAST MISSOURI TONIGHT WILL PROVIDE SHARPLY COLDERWEATHER AS IT LINGERS THROUGH THE WEEKEND.TEMPERATURES WILL RISE ONLY INTO THE 20S DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURSSATURDAY AND SUNDAY WITH OVERNIGHT LOWS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS ANDTEENS. WHEN COMBINED WITH BRISK NORTH WINDS...IT WILL FEEL AS COLDAS 5 ABOVE ZERO TO 5 BELOW SATURDAY MORNING. THE COLDEST AIR WILLARRIVE SATURDAY NIGHT AND EARLY SUNDAY MORNING...WHEN TEMPERATURES AREEXPECTED TO DROP AS LOW AS ZERO TO 5 BELOW OVER PORTIONS OF EASTCENTRAL IOWA. EVEN LIGHT WINDS WILL DRIVE WIND CHILL VALUES INTOTHE RANGE OF ZERO TO 10 BELOW EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.THIS WILL BE THE COLDEST WEATHER OF THE SEASON SO FAR. IF YOUHAVE OUTDOOR PLANS...MAKE PREPARATIONS FOR WINTER CONDITIONS.REMEMBER THAT SEVERAL LAYERS OF CLOTHES WILL KEEP YOU WARMER THANA SINGLE HEAVY COAT. WEAR A HAT AND MITTENS.

LES about to blow ashore in the UP.

MQT.N0Q.20131123.0121.gif

Archived