joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-22 inverted trough/retro precip midweek threat

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL Amazing how different the GFS is than the NAM. One would think that the NAM would pick up this type of meso feature better than the GFS, but I am skeptical on any NAM solution beyond 48H

It gave us 1-3" at 6z ... if it bumped that to 3-5 I'd be pleased.

Though I honestly would be happy with a 2-3" snowfall right now.

Well, that's all she wrote.......what a disappointing run of the gfs.

Tough to hang your hat on a renegade long-range NAM solution, especially when it's delivering via a highly suspect wraparound/ inverted trough scenario. As someone who's seen many of these bust badly within 12 hours, I've been surprised at the excitement about this. I guess it's a function of how starved folks are.

But the #1 model has not behaved like it this week!

The air has gone out of the balloon in these threads again .. you can just tell. One lackluster run. Might I remind that the #1 model put out, according to dendrite "Most of VT, all of NH, E 1/2 MA, S 2/3 ME all over 0.50" QPF...coastal ME pushing 1". "

That being said, I'm not ready to write off a NAM, ETA type Norlun. And you have to start getting a little revved up for the Christmas day blizzard. GFS is stronger and more north with that storm at 12Z

Yeah me either, the NAM actually has not been flip flopping around as much as the other models with the position of lows and pattern. The 12Z run of the GFS actually had the retro precip better placed then the previos run, so hopefully it is starting to pick up on that idea. And yes, the GFS looks nice for Christmas time.

12z Ukie is unimpressive. Hopefully the resolution of the NAM and EC are sniffing this out better over the other models. The NAM is 99.9% likely to be ridiculous with amounts, but hopefully it at least has an idea like the SREFs.

I'm leaning toward accumulating snow, but on the light side at the moment...like mostly 1-2" amounts, though I'd feel better for heavier amounts if I was in Maine. That's usually climo on these setups anyway...though we have to be really careful about throwing around "climo" for any setup right now since we have such an "unclimo" pattern at the moment.

I'm leaning toward accumulating snow, but on the light side at the moment...like mostly 1-2" amounts, though I'd feel better for heavier amounts if I was in Maine. That's usually climo on these setups anyway...though we have to be really careful about throwing around "climo" for any setup right now since we have such an "unclimo" pattern at the moment.

Is that comment for the region as a whole or do you see God's Country staying dry?

That vort that dives in d3 from the WNW has drastically different timing on some of the models. The 12z NAM and last night's EC were much slower. The 60hr 12z NAM and 72hr 00z EC had it around MN. This morning's GFS and GGEM have it in the SE Great Lakes at 60hr and shut off the precip fairly quickly once it passes.

can we merge these 2 threads about seemingly the same storm?

Well I was trying to keep the RUC posts and radar hallucinations separate from the mid-week threat....but if people want them all in the same thread I can merge them. I just didn't want to have someone dig through a bunch of posts on the Cape Scraper if they were tyring to find info on the midweek threat.

Well I was trying to keep the RUC posts and radar hallucinations separate from the mid-week threat....but if people want them all in the same thread I can merge them. I just didn't want to have someone dig through a bunch of posts on the Cape Scraper if they were tyring to find info on the midweek threat.

Maybe if we just make the titles more clear because both threads seem to be seeing posts for both systems lol.

I see what you're saying though.

Archived