• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
September 2013 Observations And Discussions

sutherlandfan

I feel the same, Im in Howard Beach. I know you guys down in Long Beach had it a lot worse, but still its a shared trauma.

Absolutely. It's irritating sometimes seeing some people who had some trees knocked down in their neighborhood and no power for a couple of days root these on still, but that's to be expected on a wx-weenie board. I'm actually going to a fundraiser tomorrow for a business in Long Beach that is still a hole in the ground (literally) today. Many people I know are still out of their homes.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats because he works at the weather channel. At the end of the day its irresponsible to bring up to the general public especially those that don't understand and just watch the news and weather channel to know if its going to rain tomorrow or not.

Like when that guy on channel 4 showed north jersey getting 38" of snow last February because of the NAM snowfall output, meanwhile half the people saw that and thought that was the forecast. Are they stupid? maybe but we have had 30" of snow before so its not out of the realm of possibilities and its his job to know that.

That was hilarious, and people freaked out over that map, including my parents. There were numerous gas lines again in preparation for blackouts around me. It's hard to explain to someone who knows nothing of weather models that it's only a wacky RPM model run and 95% chance it turns out nothing like that. Hopefully news stations refrain from showing those again this winter.

Guest Imperator

Absolutely. It's irritating sometimes seeing some people who had some trees knocked down in their neighborhood and no power for a couple of days root these on still, but that's to be expected on a wx-weenie board. I'm actually going to a fundraiser tomorrow for a business in Long Beach that is still a hole in the ground (literally) today. Many people I know are still out of their homes

Howard Beach is pretty much all recovered, I cant say the same for the Rockaways, Breezy etc. People all over are still extremely paranoid and shell shocked. The most surge we ever got in the streets before Sandy was MAYBE 1' for Irene and the 92 Noreaster. Like I said, people had it a lot worse. While I lost my car and basement (which was like a second living room) other people lost their homes and businesses. Material things were easy to replace, but emotionally the scar is still there.

That was hilarious, and people freaked out over that map, including my parents. There were numerous gas lines again in preparation for blackouts around me. It's hard to explain to someone who knows nothing of weather models that it's only a wacky RPM model run and 95% chance it turns out nothing like that. Hopefully news stations refrain from showing those again this winter.

Obviously nobody wants damage or lives lost but yes it is a weather board. I have to remind myself that sometimes when I think people are rooting for extreme weather that causes damage. 2 years ago when we had the october snowstorm I stepped outside to hear tree branches cracking under the weight of the snow and power flickering. Just 2 months after Irene I was dreading going through another loss of power and I come on here and people are excited about incoming heavy snow bands when all I can think of is please no more snow (and this coming from someone who would normally never say that). But I took it for what it was, weenies excited over an extremely rare event.

Guest Imperator

Im assuming those of you complaining about people "rooting" for storms will also speak up when people root on heat, right?

For a fee ;)

Close call on the GGEM with the storm

12_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_C

Terrible for October

That's a really wrapped up storm on the GGEM. If it made it onshore we would have a few inches of rain to deal with. I think time is running out with this one, at least for us. The 12z GFS gave Cape Cod 1-1.5" of rain.

Its not as close as it seems, and its previous runs have been on the same general track a bit off shore. Being the GGEM of course its wayyyy too deep. Why is that?

http://meteocentre.com/tracking/track.php?&mod=gemglb&run=12〈=fr&area=na Red is current run.

The GGEM/GFS and 00z ECMWF are all in agreement of pretty decent band of rain in eastern MA. Of course for our area all we get are some thin cirrus clouds. We should be in an onshore flow that day though, so eastern areas might be stuck in clouds and fog.

Howard Beach is pretty much all recovered, I cant say the same for the Rockaways, Breezy etc. People all over are still extremely paranoid and shell shocked. The most surge we ever got in the streets before Sandy was MAYBE 1' for Irene and the 92 Noreaster. Like I said, people had it a lot worse. While I lost my car and basement (which was like a second living room) other people lost their homes and businesses. Material things were easy to replace, but emotionally the scar is still there.

My street had maybe 6 inches to a foot of water on it or so for Irene. The water came up to just over the curb top in front of my house and up the driveway a little. Some places in town had water up to maybe 2 feet deep and most basements flooded and some cars. This time there was water on my street up to the tops of cars and additional damage was caused by floating cars and debris. The front frame of a building was perched at one end of my street, and a floating car blocked the other end. The whole neighborhood essentially was a war zone. The water in my house was about 2-3 feet deep or so into the first floor and the inside looked like a tsunami or something had hit. We put most of the furniture and other items up as far as we could but it didn't really matter. Again, material things aren't the hard things to replace but the pictures, family keepsakes, etc that were destroyed are a lot harder. Seeing EVERYONE with this "I have no clue what to do next or where to go" shellshocked look on their faces walk around in the destruction, with army vehicles and National Guard trying to keep the peace, enforce curfews and later man the gas lines and safeguard businesses and homes from looters is really beyond words to describe. I'll say one thing: the people who tempted fate and stayed behind in the storm and witnessed the hellish combination of surge, flying/floating debris and fires (there were numerous car fires in Long Beach from shorted out car batteries and one fire that consumed over a dozen homes), all say to me they won't ever do so again. I still find it miraculous that nobody died in my town. A number of people I know thought they were going to die. My town came together in a big way to help people get back on their feet after the storm and start re-building and serve food/clothing, which helped everything along tremendously. The snag has been the insurance companies not getting aid to homeowners quickly enough, making for still dozens if not hundreds of unlivable homes still that have to be demolished and re-built. We lucked out-our home was damaged below the designation for being considered unliveable. We moved back in just after Christmas. At that time, half or so of my street was still gone, and more than half of Long Beach was still gone. Since then, we have bounced back quite a lot and it was overall a good summer for us. For many though, a lot of work still has to be done to make them whole again.

Guest Imperator

That's a really wrapped up storm on the GGEM. If it made it onshore we would have a few inches of rain to deal with. I think time is running out with this one, at least for us. The 12z GFS gave Cape Cod 1-1.5" of rain.

Of course its the GGEM, which explodes every oceanic low it can find up until the last minute. Enviornment Canada needs to fix this.

Guest Imperator

FWIW the 12z ECMWF came pretty far west this run. It's stalled from hours 48-78.

Youre obsessed with this storm. LOL If there was a hurricane in the Gulf no one would care about this.

Looks like the nyc metro area will finish september below avg, which makes it 2nd month in  a row

as though values around -1, -1,5 are anything impressive. july was > +3 over the metro area. our last -3 or better month was nov 2012 (partially thanks to sandy) and before that was dec 2010

Looks like the nyc metro area will finish september below avg, which makes it 2nd month in a row

I consider this a minor miracle. Though it's barely below normal. 1980-2010 is the warmest climate block on record and we barely managed to go below normal. It's quite pathetic actually. I think we forgot what the average temps should be and think this is some kind of a cool snap yet in reality it's perfectly normal weather.

Archived