• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Early August Wx Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Haven't looked at a chart or an index for like 4 days, but had a chance to do so this morning...

I'd say there is "greater chance than the usual lower confidence" that the late middle to extended range goes above normal, possible ... well above normal.  There are unilaterally index modalities leading, their timing and spatial conceptualization converging on a heat signal for the upper MW -->  OV/NE regions.   Days 5/6 - D10

This could be different than the WAR -attributed warm departures, though some presentation of far west Atlantic heights nearing and exceeding 590dm would be likely.

During the WAR, most of the heat built regionally, accumulating gradually, during the 3 disparate oscillations into positive departures that took place during that overall 3-weeks.  This was because a significant shear axis was left in the wake of the June/early July trough when it filled over the OV, and that deep layer feature retrograded W, and acted as a barrier, preventing continental processed/type heat from involving into the circulation.  That contributed to why there really was only a day or two of "big heat" during that 3 weeks of above normal conditions (repeating 92/73 does, however, wear on one's nerves and takes a toll).   But temperature and DPs pervasively getting HI s to 100 or higher was not that common during. 

The reason I point that out is because although some shear axis/quasi barrier looks to remain during the time frames in question, it is lower in latitude and less inhibitory to the "over the top" construct of the circulation.  In other words, it would allow for more in the way of big plateau 850mb temperatures to conveyor through the MW/GL and NE regions.  The less dependable models are the most emphatic about a +20 to +24C, 850mb air mass amid a well mixed conveyor pointed at NE as the extended gets under range.  The Euro does however have the 500mb accessible to a bigger heat option than what it currently shows beneath in altitude, so that has me suspicious that it could offer up more.   I have referred to this in the past as a "Sonoran heat release".  This gist is when preceding capping of high heat gets motivated into the flow ... usually by a substantial rise in the EPO and a trough digging into the NE Pacific; very similar if not dead panned indicated by the pantheon of operational versions.  More or less related, the NAO is timing it's own rising, pulling heights over E N/A up.  

The NAO teleconnector in the GFS ensembles are remarkably tightly clustered around a 2 or more SD modality into the positive domain space.  That really can't happen without significantly lifting the escape latitude of the westerlies over eastern N/A.   So, as said, seeing every operational run there is hammering that idea beyond D5, that's really a pretty bright beacon for a another warm episode emerging. 

How long it last and to what exact magnitude is obviously impossible to know for now.  But, we obviously know that if a 20+C, 850mb air mass gets ejected out of the SW/W and times well with a +NAO pulse, things will heat up in a real hurry.  I'd also like to remind folks that there was heat wave, with one day of big heat in latter August of 2002(?), and there have been rare days nearing 100 in early September.   It could come down to a week of above normal with a couple of very hot days, or less.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No joke...there's this new AMS paper that just got released that correlates July dews with January dews. It states that if New England sees abnormal humidity in July, something in the greater circulation patterns causes enhanced periods of 50F dews south of the Pike in January. The author is Professor Tolland McBaldie.

Ha hahahaha ... dude, I think we've all just been had by Kevin -- that's SPOT on !  

Eh, that may be statistically shown... and if so, there DEFINITELY needs to be a "physics" proof to show why, because without it, I can imagine all kinds of scenarios and counter-points to show that could be coincidental.    ...just sayin

No joke...there's this new AMS paper that just got released that correlates July dews with January dews. It states that if New England sees abnormal humidity in July, something in the greater circulation patterns causes enhanced periods of 50F dews south of the Pike in January. The author is Professor Tolland McBaldie.

There seems to be this misconception that i am somehow bald. Yes I buzz my hair and have a slight recession on the temples, but if you are looking for a bald poster ,look no furthur than Garth who is as bald an egg.

You're 4'11" or so judging by some of the pictures you've posted of you skiing...should we start calling you a midget or enter you in dwarf throwing contests, just because you are short?

There seems to be this misconception that i am somehow bald. Yes I buzz my hair and have a slight recession on the temples, but if you are looking for a bald poster ,look no furthur than Garth who is as bald an egg.

You're 4'11" or so judging by some of the pictures you've posted of you skiing...should we start calling you a midget or enter you in dwarf throwing contests, just because you are short?

:lol: the bald thing just seems to be what everyone calls you, started by those that know you.

Haha and what pictures of me skiing look like I'm 4 feet tall? That's just the really deep snow. I'm 6'3" and could definitely throw some dwarfs for ya if you need. I'm only 4'11" when I'm wearing a snowflake sweater and holding Will's hand prancing through the snow in JayHawk's masterpiece.

:lol: the bald thing just seems to be what everyone calls you, started by those that know you.

Haha and what pictures of me skiing look like I'm 4 feet tall? That's just the really deep snow. I'm 6'3" and could definitely throw some dwarfs for ya if you need. I'm only 4'11" when I'm wearing a snowflake sweater and holding Will's hand prancing through the snow in JayHawk's masterpiece.

Deep, deep hair

image_zps62a9d713.jpg

still solidly above normal overall when you look at that last map

Especially the further south you go...up here the last 60 days have averaged out to 0 to +1, which isn't bad considering how warm July was. But our daytime highs were often much lower than SNE with all the daily rains and t-storms up in CNE/NNE during that time. We'd have highs in the 70s while it was 90-95 in SNE lower els.

Man look how cold the last couple weeks have been in the Ohio Valley though and Lakes region. Pockets of -6 to -8 for two week departures is decently impressive.

23 days since my last 90+ reading.  Basically normal temps over the last week.  Over the last 2 weeks, 30 days, and 60 days though I'v been the torch capital of the Northeast

attachicon.gif7dTDeptNRCC.png

attachicon.gif14dTDeptNRCC.png

attachicon.gif30dTDeptNRCC.png

attachicon.gif60dTDeptNRCC.png

This is an interesting analysis, actually...   Kind of puts things into perspective.   It does make sense however that the July warmth has proxy in the means (so far), as it's length of time was a bit longer than the recent cool down.   

It'll be interesting to revisit this analysis in 3 weeks, when the upcoming warming pattern is in the books -- in other words, the JJA mean.

I'd also like to remind folks that there was heat wave, with one day of big heat in latter August of 2002(?), and there have been rare days nearing 100 in early September.   It could come down to a week of above normal with a couple of very hot days, or less.

Auguat 11-19, 2002 - 9-day heat wave for BDL, 6 days even up here in Farmington. Then there was a rare (only two for Farmington since 1900) Sept heat wave 9/8-10, that seemed more an NNE thing.

Anyone else seeing a sharp increase in dews this afternoon? 

We (MVL I should say) went from a Td of 48F at 12pm to 60F at 7pm.  Temperature was in the low 70s for both those observations so its not like we are wetbulbing or anything.  It feels noticeably more humid than it did this morning thanks to that 12F rise.  Montpelier has also shot up to 60F at 1,200ft from being in the low 50s just hours ago.

Man is it getting dark early FTL. A month ago we were laying out tanning at this hour, now we're in our pj's getting ready for bed

And on Wednesday night, you'll be in your foot Pjs, the ones with a zipper from your pinky toe to your weenie, to your neck. Maybe even some skin caught in the zipper?

And on Wednesday night, you'll be in your foot Pjs, the ones with a zipper from your pinky toe to your weenie, to your neck. Maybe even some skin caught in the zipper?

For lows in the low - mid 50's? B ball Shorts and t shirt sleeping wx. A week from now ac's will be humming again as folks gear up for another long stretch of uncomfortable sleeping wx

Archived