• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter 2013-14 Discussion

Hoosier

La Nina might raise the probability of colder than normal temps, but remember 2011-2012 had a moderate La Nina from start to finish. The PNA probably matters more than any index, especially after witnessing it destroy two straight Dec & Jan periods in a row. One had a La Nina and the other was a neutral/weak Nina.

Good point about the PNA. Looks like we need a slightly -PNA. Table below for reference. 

-0.3 for the last ONI index update, I suspect that will be 0 or so in the next update.

post-7389-0-52306200-1383961560_thumb.pn

I was about to make a chart like that, saved me a lot of trouble, thanks.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hows it going Canuck? How much snow thus far, seems like edmonton got some action over the past week or so. 

07-08 was borderline away from being disastrous. The overall pattern was a dominate +AO/NAO which prevented cold air from moving further south in combination with the SE Ridge. We got lucky to be on the good side of storms when they occured. Majority of storms had temperatures at or slightly below freezing. 08-09 however was far cooler.

Hows it going Canuck? How much snow thus far, seems like edmonton got some action over the past week or so. 

07-08 was borderline away from being disastrous. The overall pattern was a dominate +AO/NAO which prevented cold air from moving further south in combination with the SE Ridge. We got lucky to be on the good side of storms when they occured. Majority of storms had temperatures at or slightly below freezing. 08-09 however was far cooler.

I can remember some very cold snowstorms in 2007-08 too. Honestly, that winter had absolutely everything for almost everyone in the northern part of this subforum. I had accumulated just 3.5" total on the season through December 14th (biggest fall 1"), I barely got over an inch during the locally infamous New Years storm, and I saw record temps in the mid-60s in early January...yet racked up 78.2" of snow, nearly double average. The storms kept on coming and coming and coming.

I can remember some very cold snowstorms in 2007-08 too. Honestly, that winter had absolutely everything for almost everyone in the northern part of this subforum. I had accumulated just 3.5" total on the season through December 14th (biggest fall 1"), I barely got over an inch during the locally infamous New Years storm, and I saw record temps in the mid-60s in early January...yet racked up 78.2" of snow, nearly double average. The storms kept on coming and coming and coming.

January 21, 2008 comes to mind.  That was a pixie dust storm if anything, and definitely compared to most of the rest of the storms.  Given the high number of storms overall, there were some cold snowstorms, but definitely a higher percentage of wet plastering snowfalls.

Yeah 07-08 was an extraordinary winter for most of us in the sub-forum. However, it wasn't a cold winter. Cold shots weren't consistent and often lasted no more than a few days. As a result, despite the continuous storminess it didnt last long on the ground and often melted or compacted the week after. We had a decent thaw in late December and again in January and overall February and March offered record amounts of snowfall. So it was a front and back loaded winter or gradient. 

Yeah 07-08 was an extraordinary winter for most of us in the sub-forum. However, it wasn't a cold winter. Cold shots weren't consistent and often lasted no more than a few days. As a result, despite the continuous storminess it didnt last long on the ground and often melted or compacted the week after. We had a decent thaw in late December and again in January and overall February and March offered record amounts of snowfall. So it was a front and back loaded winter or gradient. 

I liked 08/09 the best.... I prefer average all the time more so than big ups and downs.

hehe yep.

I mean when you go from this a few days ago:

to:

That's very inconsistent for the weeklies. :(

That's how the weeklies and CFS work, they default to global warming scenarios and get adjusted to reality the closer to the timeframe. Check out the CPC maps for the next 1.5 years out, you will be hard pressed to find more than 10% of the continental united states covered by "Below Normal" in any period, but half of those months will verify at or below normal.

Any documentation to back this up?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2

Scroll through the next year. Its just moving red blobs around a map with no skill what so ever. 

If you look through the CPCs reasoning for forecasts, they use trends into their consideration... So the CPC is just outputting data with a built in warm bias.

2013 had the same output.

Look at how that turned out

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2

Scroll through the next year. Its just moving red blobs around a map with no skill what so ever.

If you look through the CPCs reasoning for forecasts, they use trends into their consideration... So the CPC is just outputting data with a built in warm bias.

Look at how that turned out

dsdsd.jpg

dsdsdsd.jpg

CPC outlooks and model output are two different things. I was wondering if you could point me to something specific about the models starting off warm because of some built in global warming bias.

Look at how that turned outdsdsd.jpgdsdsdsd.jpg

CPC outlooks and model output are two different things. I was wondering if you could point me to something specific about the models starting off warm because of some built in global warming bias.

I'm on my phone now, so my abilities to search aren't so good now, but its mentioned that recent climate trends (even though they are flat) work into their outputs.

Archived