12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/22 Threat

hazwoper

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing is at least we have consensus on a storm for a couple runs and a hit for DC to PHI, As I said on another regional thread, I like the threat, its a west to east system, models should handle it better, not many other S/W's to deal with.

Aye, I also don't recall such early model consensus with the previous event (miss?). The GFS and Euro agreed on a coastal solution for like two cycles and then they differed. It will be great if the Euro and GFS still agree in two days.

Cue the sleepless nights and days for snowlovers.

Here is something that we could do with every threat. We could put a pinned thread and outline what could cause the storm to miss, ie synoptic features that might change. It would probably provide for less posts about what is happening, and consolidate and streamline the entire posting process.

I did a bit of that on the first page of this thread...and will try to do that as we get closer to the threat. We're a bit too far in the long range right now.

Sounds like another big threat that may turn out to be nothing (unless it showed a cutter at Day 8, then we would probably see a cutter, ain't that amazing!). Maybe it'll be a little easier to handle than the past system, less s/w but there's been too much "boy you cried wolf" philosophy at play here so I guess I'll just watch the models but there's nothing to get excited about at all. I would still favor cold and dry, the confluence and blocking are far too overwhelming at this point for me to think otherwise.

Sounds like another big threat that may turn out to be nothing. Maybe it'll be a little easier to handle than the past system, less s/w but there's been too much "boy you cried wolf" philosophy at play here so I guess I'll just watch the models but there's nothing to get excited about at all. I would still favor cold and dry, the confluence and blocking are far too overwhelming at this point for me to think otherwise.

Not saying your wrong but surprising take from you. :rolleyes:

Sounds like another big threat that may turn out to be nothing. Maybe it'll be a little easier to handle than the past system, less s/w but there's been too much "boy you cried wolf" philosophy at play here so I guess I'll just watch the models but there's nothing to get excited about at all. I would still favor cold and dry, the confluence and blocking are far too overwhelming at this point for me to think otherwise.

Geez.... do you ever have anything positive to say? :arrowhead:

Sounds like every threat at this range--you're really going out on a limb here.

Nice to see both globals have it. Not to be a debbie downer but the shortwave this emnates from is over the Pacific Ocean at 96 hr so I would think there might be predictability issues with this one too.

Cue the sleepless nights and days for snowlovers.

Here is something that we could do with every threat. We could put a pinned thread and outline what could cause the storm to miss, ie synoptic features that might change. It would probably provide for less posts about what is happening, and consolidate and streamline the entire posting process.

I've mentioned this before, but I will mention it again, with winter time rainstorms, the axis of heavy rain could be 200 miles wide, so if the three day forecast track is off 100 miles, the end result doesn't change. With most snowstorms, the axis of heavy snow is about 50 miles wide, give or take, and to ask, even in this day and era for a three day cyclone track to be accurate to within 50 miles is asking quite a bit. Same with hurricane forecasting.

I've mentioned this before, but I will mention it again, with winter time rainstorms, the axis of heavy rain could be 200 miles wide, so if the three day forecast track is off 100 miles, the end result doesn't change. With most snowstorms, the axis of heavy snow is about 50 miles wide, give or take, and to ask, even in this day and era for a three day cyclone track to be accurate to within 50 miles is asking quite a bit. Same with hurricane forecasting.

Unless we have a major overrunning event like Feb 83 or PD2-- of course we need a super juicy STJ-- which we dont get in strong la ninas.

That's why I love those huge systems that span a third of the country with a conveyor belt of snow. I dont really care if they have wind or not as long as that stripe of white covers a whole section of the country-- including us ;)

Archived