joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/22 Threat

hazwoper

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

91-92 had more snow by now in NYC than this winter does..... by 0.6 inches...of course the next snow did not fall til March

That was a stretch of winters where we held onto each snow flake, not knowing when the next would arrive.

4" snowstorms were considered like blizzards back then lol.

That was a stretch of winters where we held onto each snow flake, not knowing when the next would arrive.

4" snowstorms were considered like blizzards back then lol.

91-92 looked assured of shattering the 72-73 record by about a mile...I think we had not even one inch as of 3/14 and then suddenly in 4 days picked up over 10-12 inches.

Very nice H5 setup on the GFS...great overrunning redeveloper setup.

I know people love strong lows-- but we get those to work out so rarely-- overrunning is my favorite type of snow, storm usually lasts a long time and has a large areal coverage.

91-92 looked assured of shattering the 72-73 record by about a mile...I think we had not even one inch as of 3/14 and then suddenly in 4 days picked up over 10-12 inches.

I remember we talked about that-- I think NYC had its first 6 inch snowstorm in a few years to end that winter.

Polar Vortex phases in at 190..where have we seen this before? Much more support for a stronger shortwave this time around. The shortwave is very strong as it is literally a large piece of the big ULL over the Pac.

Talk about perfect timing if it occurs. Snow starting Christmas Eve, storm peaking Christmas Day. I'm sure all the pain of this weekend would be taken away if it verifies.

I know people love strong lows-- but we get those to work out so rarely-- overrunning is my favorite type of snow, storm usually lasts a long time and has a large areal coverage.

This is a great overrunning pattern and gradient with the heights to our north if we can get a good shortwave to come out of the southwest--which the GFS is doing.

So long as we can keep that setup in SE Canada this event has a better chance of occurring....phasing or no phasing some snow would likely happen either way.

Strongly agree--and the Euro weeklies and GEFS means keep the block strongly in place through the next 10-14 days..which suggests things aren't changing yet.

I know, I know...it's a long way away but did you see what is rolling up the coast 3 days after X-mas? It would be the 3rd storm in this pattern and isn't that usually the biggest?

Old wives' tale. Depends on the synoptics. Sometimes, it happens perfectly and the storms do set each other up, but sometimes, they completely break the favorable pattern down.

Archived