• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/22 Threat

hazwoper

I posted on the other forum that at 500mb on the 18z gfs ridging was much better established over the midwest since the PV slid far enough west. I also mentioned that I thought this could lead to quicker rises along the coast and possibly bring it into range however taking a glance at the 00z GFS the PV looks more elongated and knocks down the ridging. The ridging however as weak as it is manages to supress the gulf low and displaces it to the south and east. The same can be said about 18z which displaced the low even farther SE. Ultimatly the PV is killing us. If it had managed to move far enough west it looks as if the ridging would have been much more established and it wouldnt have taken much to dig a nice trough.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Xmas day event looks real on the GFS, the ensembles looked very good for this far out. I put no stock in the EURO attm.

This weekend's storm looked real 7 days ago as well, with virtually every model in support of it. Looks like for the Christmas threat we may have an added bonus with the MJO more favorable for east coast cyclogenesis, but even still, it could easily fall apart. I refrain from putting too much stock in any model at this stage.

I have been talking about that the last two days...we need this costal to move out and be weak....idk why analog96 was saying we need the storm to retrograde and help our clipper....that really makes little sense to me.....it would just dampen it out

Yep, the last thing we need is for this storm to retrograde. The 00z GFS looks slightly better, but confluence holds tight east of the mountains thereby killing any precp.

This weekend's storm looked real 7 days ago as well, with virtually every model in support of it. Looks like for the Christmas threat we may have an added bonus with the MJO more favorable for east coast cyclogenesis, but even still, it could easily fall apart. I refrain from putting too much stock in any model at this stage.

seriously, just look at the changes that occur over the pacific between the 18z and 0z run of the GFS...

0Z

gfs_500_084m.gif

18Z

gfs_500_090m.gif

Yep, the last thing we need is for this storm to retrograde. The 00z GFS looks slightly better, but confluence holds tight east of the mountains thereby killing any precp.

yep and after it does its dirty work on the clipper....it promplty lifts out....while waving its middel finger at us as it parts

There seem to be two main tracks this winter-- much like what happened in the tropical season. The one takes flat waves across the southern MA and out to sea, the other develops storms well off shore and retrogrades them to Maine. We just happen to be the monkeys in the middle :(

I'm not too ethused about it right now. With the amount of blocking we've got downstream, that may actually hurt our chances by keeping the newly formed H5 vortex positioned near/just NE of New England. Thus the W-E propagating Miller B clipper won't even have a fighting chance w/ that monster, vertically stacked low placed there. I can't look ahead as far as Christmas after experiencing this most recent defeat. After all, it's obvious the models will be highly erratic and essentially useless beyond 3-4 days in a convoluted regime of numerous small short waves ejecting ewd from the Pacific jet, extreme high latitude blocking, plus the backdrop of a strong la nina. So Iet's focus on the Tuesday clipper for now, which doesn't look that hot. But we've now got to root against the weekend system - hope that it's as weak/flat as possible, and consequently closes off further NE. More importantly, it needs to exit stage right or at least lift far enough NE so that the NLY confluence is no longer shielding our region from any type of precip.

You know, you'd think strong blocking would be a good thing to suppress the SE Ridge, which is favored in strong la ninas-- but I guess we got too much of a good thing.

I know this is typical for nina...but man is MSP having a great winter so far....every storm just finds a way to snow there...pretty crazy

You would have hated the 1991-92 winter lol (and the winters that came before it lol)-- Minny had an epic winter and it began early..... and all our mets were saying to watch out because that snowfall pattern would migrate eastward as the winter went on. Well, it didnt happen until two years later lol.

More like start a movement to turn the Poconos and Catskills into one giant lake, so that we'd be in a new snow belt. You heard it here first. :drunk:

Yes, now that's what Im talking about! Let's take our knowledge of making particle bombs and change the structure of the earth ;)

You would have hated the 1991-92 winter lol (and the winters that came before it lol)-- Minny had an epic winter and it began early..... and all our mets were saying to watch out because that snowfall pattern would migrate eastward as the winter went on. Well, it didnt happen until two years later lol.

91-92 had more snow by now in NYC than this winter does..... by 0.6 inches...of course the next snow did not fall til March

Archived