• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
June 1889 DC Flood

Deck Pic

I also nearly died in June 2006. Caught in a  flash flood. Wall of water hit the car and it stalled and started drifting off into the river. I bailed and clung to life on a stop sign. Scariest moment of my life. 

sounds like you came closer to dying than us. we drove into water that ended up coming over the hood but kept going and made it. 

June 2006 was an all time Top 10 weather event for me.

yeah it was pretty crazy.. probably for me too. definitely top 10 since i've been here. top 3 t'storm scenario for me here with derecho and june 08. june's the month!

I also nearly died in June 2006. Caught in a  flash flood. Wall of water hit the car and it stalled and started drifting off into the river. I bailed and clung to life on a stop sign. Scariest moment of my life. 

Sounds like you were with Bethesda Boy, glad to hear you are ok.

The upper part of my back yard is terraced. It looked like a waterfall garden in 06. My neighbors have a long stairway up the hill in their back yard. You could have kayaked down it. Doubt that will happen again as long as I live here. Wasnt it like 10-12" in 2 days?

The upper part of my back yard is terraced. It looked like a waterfall garden in 06. My neighbors have a long stairway up the hill in their back yard. You could have kayaked down it. Doubt that will happen again as long as I live here. Wasnt it like 10-12" in 2 days?

At DCA, 5.19 inches of rain was recorded on Sunday, June 25, 2006, followed by 4.22 inches on Monday, the 26th. The rain total of 9.41 inches was the most ever recorded over two consecutive days in DC, as was a 24-hour total of 7.94 inches.

I think the heavier banded areas had like 7-8" in 4-5 hours.

June 2006 was an all time Top 10 weather event for me.

I do remember there being a lot of carpets by the sidewalks in Fairlington a few years ago, but I honestly couldn't tell you exactly when.  I suppose it was June 2006.

I had over 10" of rain in Burke in less than 12 hours with the remnants of TS Lee a couple years ago, so that definitely sticks out to me.  That came on the heels of few inches of rain in the couple days prior (in addition to Irene's rain) and turned out to be a big flooder around my area.  We had somewhere around 17" or so for the month.

I think the heavier banded areas had like 7-8" in 4-5 hours.

Yes. I had a property is Lewisdale that had it's basement flooded and by what I could observe that immediate location got 8-9" in 3-4 hours.

2010 was a horrific thunderstomr year for me including the scary early morning event in August where NWS reported 80-90mph "wind streaks" in my area.

Yes. I had a property is Lewisdale that had it's basement flooded and by what I could observe that immediate location got 8-9" in 3-4 hours.

2010 was a horrific thunderstomr year for me including the scary early morning event in August where NWS reported 80-90mph "wind streaks" in my area.

DCA at the height got around 6" in 5 hours with several spurts of 0.5" in 10 minutes and they weren't in the best banding....the best banding if I recall correctly was in lower Montgomery county.  I have never in my life seen it torrentially rain for such a long duration..

I was on the beltway when in shut down in June of 06.. 2 mudslides down into road. Got really scared when I was at the bottom of an exchange ramp and water was a foot deep and traffic wasn't moving. Had Chloe in the back seat who was 18 months or so and I was thinking about what I'd do if we didn't move and the water kept rising. The rain stopped and traffic was at a stop for hours. Once it was moving, people were still asleep in the cars as traffic starting going. 

Worked my way through a million detours in DC and finally got out of town at 8 am.  Got back to LYH after 11am. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm.  I remember June 23-26 quite well...  The evening of the 23rd, I thought I was either having a heart attack (which for an athletic 39 year old, wasn't likely) or the largest and most painful gas bubble, I had ever experienced.

The next morning, when I bent over to pour kibble into the dog's bowl, I felt something INSIDE my chest flop forward. Thought to myself  "what.. the.. hell.."  When I straightened up, I felt that same sensation (plus 5x the pain,) except it shimmied it's way downward, like jello settling into a glass. 

Through the mental fog of pain, shock and "WTF,"  the movie Alien popped into my mind.  Just to make sure I wasn't having some crazy dream, I bent over a second time to see if the wayward organ would flop around again. No, I'm not a masochist. Yes, it was freakishly painful.

Self diagnosis:

Something flopping around inside chest? Check.

Deep breath causes icepick stabbing pain? Check.

Feeling a bit like Sigourney Weaver? Check.

"Dammit! I have a party to go to tonight! F*ck!"

I ended up GBMC that evening, via Patient First and a Dr. who actually screamed at me about getting to the hospital immediately, threatening to hold me and call an ambo if I didn't agree to go straight there. Geez, I only mentioned needing to feed and walk my dog.  Kinda embarrassing to have PA's and other patients poke their heads out from behind their curtains to see who the Dr. is yelling at. 

I suspect he may have failed Bedside Manner 101.

Or maybe, just maybe, it was the fight or flight look he saw on my face when he said the words "Collapsed Lung" and "CHEST TUBE."   I do vaguely recall thinking  "OH... No f*cking way. Chest tube? Nope. Not happening!"

So, you're probably wondering WTH does this have to do with the June 23-26, 2006 flood. Well, apparently I was born with a boatload of internal barometers at the apex of both lungs, which can spontaneously pop. Some people complain about aching joints, or arthritis flaring up before a storm arrives. I get stabbing icepick pain, sensations of popping bubble wrap, or if I'm really lucky, a dancing alien in my chest... LOL  (Severity of symptoms increase with the % of lung collapse.)

Who knew storms can cause a lung to collapse?  I sure as hell didn't.

Atmospheric Pressure Influences the Risk of Pneumothorax: Beware of the Storm!

http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/article.aspx?articleid=1085177

Meteorological conditions related to the onset of spontaneous pneumothorax.

Abstract

Spontaneous pneumothorax is defined as the rupture of bleb or emphysematous bullae that develop just beneath the pulmonary pleura. Weather changes may influence the incidence of spontaneous pneumothorax. The aim of this study was to examine the influence of rainfall, temperature and atmospheric pressure changes on the onset of spontaneous pneumothorax. The study involved 669 spontaneous pneumothorax admissions to three reference hospitals in Ankara, Turkey between 1996 and 2006 (612 males and 57 females with the mean age of 34.0 +/- 15.5 years). The meteorological data were obtained from Turkish State Meteorological Services for temperature, atmospheric pressure, and rainfall. The correlation between these values and spontaneous pneumothorax clusters, which was defined as the admission of at least two patients with pneumothorax within three days of each other, was evaluated. Among 669 episodes of spontaneous pneumothorax, 472 (70.5%) occurred in 188 clusters. When compared to days without spontaneous pneumothorax, the amount of average rainfall on the day of admission with spontaneous pneumothorax, one day before and two days before the admission was significantly high. Similarly, the atmospheric pressure on one day and two days before the admission of spontaneous pneumothorax patients was significantly low. In addition, maximum temperature level was significantly lower on admission day of spontaneous pneumothorax patients compared to those on the days without spontaneous pneumothorax. This largest series of the literature shows that spontaneous pneumothorax occurs in clusters and suggests that rainfall, temperature and falls in atmospheric pressure might play a role in the pathophysiology of spontaneous pneumothorax.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived