• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 2013 General Discussion Part 2

MidwestChaser

Impressive that it got so warm with all the rain lately.

I'm not sure about out his way, but here the top 1-1.5" of soil is really dry already. Starting to see some large/wide cracks develop.

The areas that didn't have standing water have dried out quite a bit.  The farm fields that were completely under water still have a few small areas of standing water, but there's been a big improvement. 

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

west/sw wind is the best for lake Michigan pier fishing in late spring and summer. westerly wind blows the warm surface waters out.  east you catch the least.. warm surface water blown in.

wish almost every day in summer could be like today minus the obnoxious wind at times.

lol @ dying convection spoiling DTW's nice day.

Temps recovered just fine on this side of the state.  I enjoyed the surprise storms this morning.  Pretty flashy/continuous lighting for a 7am storm.  Between half and three quarters of an inch IMBY so it was beneficial "greening" rain but not enough to cause any additional flooding problems.

Cold front moved through here a few hours ago...was outside and noticed the wind shift...about half hour later it was like someone turned on the AC...beautiful out, but cooler...

Saw one apricot flower open today, with lots of "popcorn" flowers (ones ready to open)...

Sweet cherries are just about ready to explode too:

sweetcherry-1.jpg

I'm worried in another week or so the mosquitoes are going to be thick.  That was the one nice thing about last summer.

I was just thinking that too!

Looks like the last frost here was 04/21. Once it starts staying up into at least the mid 40s at night, the mosquitoes will become present.

Temps recovered just fine on this side of the state.  I enjoyed the surprise storms this morning.  Pretty flashy/continuous lighting for a 7am storm.  Between half and three quarters of an inch IMBY so it was beneficial "greening" rain but not enough to cause any additional flooding problems.

Today was awesome. Good T-Storms with heavy rains ( .74 ) and even some hail up to 1/2 inch in the am followed by sun and temps up to 76 with a light breeze in the afternoon.

Yeah I'd take something similar to what you're describing Harry. 80s are nice if your having fun on the water and what not, but not that pleasant when trying to work outside. 

Still 77° here at 9:30pm.

I wonder if we can read anything into this in terms of what it means for summer... in particular, the chances for 100 degree days. Almost made it to May without any 80s. Based on the list you posted, 1999 didn't have an 80 degree day until May 4 and we had a 100 degree day that summer so obviously there are no absolutes. Also, the first 80 in 1983 was just about as late as this year and there were multiple 100 degree days during that summer.

I hate to break it you, but not every summer from here on in is going to hit 100. :lol:

April wrap up. 

Average high: 52.5°

Average lo: 35.7°

Departure from normal: -1.98°

Dept. from normal high: -2.90°

Dept. from normal low: -1.07°

Total rainfall: 7.44" (18.90cm)

Total snowfall: trace

Lowest temperature: 22° (3rd)

Highest temperature: 84° (30th)

17 days below normal, 13 above.

I have to get to bed, I'll read it in the morning. :D

I was trying to find how many 100/80 obs have occurred at LAF...combining the worst of both worlds. :P I didn't find any but there were some really close calls like 99/79 and 100/78. I searched pretty quickly so it's possible I overlooked something.

Harry, I would pay money for weather like that every day as opposed to mid 80s and dry every day. I think even bowme is lying that he would take this weather every day.

Only thing different i would do is have the T-Storms ( just give me the hail and heavy duty rains )  in the late afternoon/evening. But if it had to be in the am i would be fine with it. Can be every 3-4 days or so so it is not too wet.

Archived