• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 25th OBS Thread

Guest Patrick

At 1:16 pm, NWS-Philly just reiterated the WWAdvisory for most of Central/North Jersey.  Very surprised given trends so far.  Nothing on the ground in northern Middlesex County and it's light rain 9 miles north of there in Rahway, where they've discontinued the WWA.  Maybe I'm just missing something. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

116 PM EDT MON MAR 25 2013

...LATE MARCH SNOWSTORM IN PROGRESS FOR THE MID ATLANTIC STATES...

.LOW PRESSURE ALONG THE MID ATLANTIC COAST WILL CONTINUE INTENSIFYING

AS SLOWLY MOVES OUT TO SEA SOUTH OF CAPE COD TONIGHT.

DEZ001-002-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-PAZ060-070-071-101>104-252200-

/O.CON.KPHI.WW.Y.0019.000000T0000Z-130325T2200Z/

NEW CASTLE-KENT-CECIL-KENT MD-QUEEN ANNES-TALBOT-CAROLINE-BERKS-

DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-WESTERN CHESTER-EASTERN CHESTER-

WESTERN MONTGOMERY-EASTERN MONTGOMERY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...DOVER...ELKTON...

CHESTERTOWN...CENTREVILLE...EASTON...DENTON...READING...MEDIA...

PHILADELPHIA...HONEY BROOK...OXFORD...WEST CHESTER...

KENNET SQUARE...COLLEGEVILLE...POTTSTOWN...NORRISTOWN...LANSDALE

116 PM EDT MON MAR 25 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT THIS

EVENING...

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN AND CENTRAL DELAWARE... NORTHEASTERN

MARYLAND AND PARTS OF SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA.

* HAZARD TYPE...SNOW.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES WITH ISOLATED 5

INCH AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. ACCUMULATIONS MUCH LESS ON PAVEMENT.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NJZ012&warncounty=NJC023&firewxzone=NJZ012&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Weather+Advisory

Have you been in the Philly observation thread? Plus they have Mt. Holly NWS empolyees that frequent that sub-forum.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the precip in the morning was heaviest just to the south, i seen someone in jackson report about 2"..We are getting close to 3/4" but snow has really picked up..

I will add that i woke up late this morning, so some melting could of occurred..

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=dix&loop=yes

The webcam at about 9:30 - 10am looked awesome with slushy coating on Rt 9 & south street. looked like an inch easily on the poles and grassy's.

It's still amazing to me how compact the precip shield is, it looks like a tropical system with the convection right around the center.

In most cases, the heaviest precip would be much further spread out with a low that close, the power and annoyance of confluence.

Again a testament to the block that we can't get the storm to move further north in late March.

I only hope we don't get a huge blocking pattern during hurricane season or we would be in a world of trouble.

It's still amazing to me how compact the precip shield is, it looks like a tropical system with the convection right around the center.

In most cases, the heaviest precip would be much further spread out with a low that close, the power and annoyance of confluence.

Again a testament to the block that we can't get the storm to move further north in late March.

I only hope we don't get a huge blocking pattern during hurricane season or we would be in a world of trouble.

Sandy occurred due to a block over Greenland, which backed the jet stream and flow to be directly into the Northeast. A major piece of mid-latitude energy phased into Sandy and made it into the catastrophic storm it became. Blocking patterns are very rare though in the summer, since the overall jet stream is much further north.

Yea the center is pretty visible on radar aswell

Nothing here.. stupid confluence :(

Nothing here either a bit farther due south of you in the Harborside section of Jersey City outside my office. It looks like our little cozy backyard of Cliffside Park will be completely shafted. Being that far north in Jersey like 2/6/10 (experienced that) and 4/10/1996 (did not experience this as I was living in SE Monmouth and was bullseyed at the time) some time bites you in the behind. It pays off more than it hurts though.

a Boatload of nothing going on here in Somerset County right now after a couple of hrs of non sticking snow. Where is my 2-4 inches I am under an advisory for at ? Anyway yesterday pretty much dismissed this storm so not sweating it but all the little nuisance storms plus a 7(Blizzard) and 5 inches(Norlun Band) were the tops in this area. A bunch of 1 inchers doesn't make a winter for me memorable so I will rate this season a C-... Too many close misses on something bigger like today deducts from overall score.  

They had 0.8" back home in Ewing, but its quickly melting now.  I will now declare the EC as the winner.

Down here the Euro was wrong, had me at about .50 and I already have almost .70 with more to come later on with the ULL. GFS is the clear winner here.

Still rain here. These bands aren't even worth it.

The lull early in the day allowed for temps to warm up, and this is hardly the dynamic cooling we would need to make it snow again. Here in Midtown it's rain too with sme flakes mixed in. I'm not optimistic any of us end up with accumulations from I-78 north.

Nam had me at 33, i have been there all day..The rgem shows mix but it's snowing and has been most of the day..(except when precip is very light)

That mix on those maps means non-accumulating snow.

Which has been the case for most of the day.

Total accumulated snow maps show that well.

SN_000-048_0000.gif

Archived