Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Late March snow blitz! March 24-25th

cyclone77

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ILX with their mid-morning update...sounds like MAYBE an upgrade soon???

EARLY LOOK AT THE 12Z NAM AND THE LATEST RAP-13 STILL SUPPORTIVE

OF PRECIPITATION BEGINNING TO MOVE INTO THE SOUTHWEST CWA LATE IN

THE EVENING. RAP MODEL WOULD SUGGEST SOME RAIN/SNOW MIX INITIALLY

WHILE THE NAM IS MORE SUPPORTIVE OF ALL SNOW. LATEST NAM CONTINUES

TO INDICATE A COUPLE PERIODS OF GREATER INTEREST...ONE BEFORE

SUNRISE WITH THE INITIAL SURGE AND THE OTHER FROM LATE MORNING

THROUGH MOST OF THE EVENING WITH THE UPPER LOW. NAM CONTINUES TO

FOCUS ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE I-72 CORRIDOR WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW.

NO CHANGES WILL BE MADE TO THE WATCH YET...AS WE AWAIT THE

REMAINING MODEL GUIDANCE THIS MORNING.

Looks like about 3-4" per the Euro for Toledo, about 2-3" per the NAM, and the GFS with 1-2"

At this point I wouldn't be surprised with anything. It looks like the sweet spot will definitely be south though. Seems odd to say that when it is nearly April.

congrats Kentucky...

I might have to dig up that forecast I made a couple of days ago that this would be an Ohio river valley event.... lol

probably severely wrong, but ugly trends for those on the northern and western fringes.  Ukmet looks like its come south with precip too, especially thru IN.   I-70 still looks ok though.  

Can anyone see anything that would cause the GFS to shift so far south all of a sudden?

joking aside...the gfs at 00zmonday is really not that much different looking than what the 00z euro had for that timeframe...just a bit more south.   The biggest diff I'm seeing is massive cuts in the qpf to the north and west of the system

joking aside...the gfs at 00zmonday is really not that much different looking than what the 00z euro had for that timeframe...just a bit more south.   The biggest diff I'm seeing is massive cuts in the qpf to the north and west of the system

Actually, big difference at 500mb.  The GFS lost the strong, closed low.  It now has a weaker open wave.  The Euro has the closed low in addition to it's ensemble mean and the NAM.  GFS is the outlier here...

WPC nam talk:

THE 12Z NAM BECOMES JOINEDBY THE 00Z ECMWF/ECMWF ENS MEAN AND 09Z SREF MEAN WITH THE MOREINTENSE UPR LOW ACRS THE OH VALLEY. INTERESTINGLY...THIS SOMEWHATSLOWER 12Z NAM HAS A LITTLE BIT OF SUPPORT FROM THE 00Z ECMWF ENSMEAN WHICH IS SLOWER THAN ITS PARENT DETERMINISTIC RUN. WITHREGARD TO THE DEVELOPING COASTAL LOW...THE ENS CLUSTERING IS MUCHBETTER THAN IN THE PAST FEW MODEL CYCLES. THE CURRENT OUTLIER ISTHE 00Z UKMET WHICH IS DEFINITELY S AND E OF THIS CLUSTER WHICH ISLIKELY DUE TO ITS SLOWER 500-MB TROF PROGRESSION AT THIS TIME.

WPC nam talk:

THE 12Z NAM BECOMES JOINEDBY THE 00Z ECMWF/ECMWF ENS MEAN AND 09Z SREF MEAN WITH THE MOREINTENSE UPR LOW ACRS THE OH VALLEY. INTERESTINGLY...THIS SOMEWHATSLOWER 12Z NAM HAS A LITTLE BIT OF SUPPORT FROM THE 00Z ECMWF ENSMEAN WHICH IS SLOWER THAN ITS PARENT DETERMINISTIC RUN. WITHREGARD TO THE DEVELOPING COASTAL LOW...THE ENS CLUSTERING IS MUCHBETTER THAN IN THE PAST FEW MODEL CYCLES. THE CURRENT OUTLIER ISTHE 00Z UKMET WHICH IS DEFINITELY S AND E OF THIS CLUSTER WHICH ISLIKELY DUE TO ITS SLOWER 500-MB TROF PROGRESSION AT THIS TIME.

Will be interesting to see what they think about this run of the GFS.

Will be interesting to see what they think about this run of the GFS.

and the uk which also came south a bit.   There's definitely a concensus trend....big question is whether its a last minute blip that corrects back north or it's for real.   I've seen models pull this kind of hiccup/crap leading up to a storm in the past.

Severe dry air issues with the GFS for LAF and northern Indiana.

Of course, seen this move by the models before, only to correct back northwest. No idea if that'll happen with this one, but late huge moves by a model is kinda questionable to me.

Yeah...can't look to much into it in my opinion. Chatting with an IND forecaster now and they are calling this latest run of the GFS an "outlier."

Archived