joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs/discussion from the In and Out storm nobody cares about march 17-18

Ji

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back again guys because this threat actually has some backing to it. What I see that separates it right off the bat is that it is going to attempt to precipitate with temperatures below 32 degrees. What also makes this set-up beneficial to us, at least going off of the rgem and the gfs is the timing; i.e. a solid overrunning shield of precipitation moving into a well-established CAD environment. This area works well with CAD, and wind direction is not going to hurt us much this time. The low pressure is not overly intense as to immediate pull north warm air, so for at least hours 36-48 its all snow for all west of the bay, including the cities. 

Soundings from the GFS are impressive, some of the more favorable ones we have seen this season. Temperatures in the 20's with moderate snows coming down at night is certainly something we haven't had much of this winter. Additionally, if the CAD can hold its ground, this could be a somewhat significant system back towards the blue Ridge area where the cold air holds the longest. The areas that look primed for even snow in assoc. w/ the low include MRB and OKV and even HGR into S PA. The GFS is in the snowy camp right now, and the rgem temperature wise is not bad. The best sign from that model is that it pulls the overrunning north more, so DC and Baltimore likely will not be whiffed to the south by that. 

If I had to guess on the Euro and what it will do, I'd say that it will moisten up a bit, but its hard to tell. The models are not in full agreement, though trends are positive and the cold air is getting more impressive as we near. I'll have more, but this one has caught my eye a bit. A nice DPP doesn't hurt on the soundings either, way better tempwise set-up compared to the 3/6 low. 

Pretty scary... GFS is around 1" liquid west of town with the column well below 0 including the surface.  The NAM is somewhere between .5 and .75 and solidly below 0.  If the Euro concurs, and 18Z doesn't flip, wouldn't be surprised to see WSWs issued for out here at somepoint tonight.

DCA prob like .15-18" thru 12z? No chance I'd believe in anything after that unless we're getting destroyed.  At 12z the 32F sfc line is sitting just NW of 95 it appears. At 6z it's way north of that (S PA to about MRB to west of Winterwxluvr..

DCA prob like .15-18" thru 12z? No chance I'd believe in anything after that unless we're getting destroyed.  At 12z the 32F sfc line is sitting just NW of 95 it appears. At 6z it's way north of that (S PA to about MRB to west of Winterwxluvr..

sounds like about an inch.   I'm siding with the Euro.

Archived