• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/6-7 obs thread

tombo82685

Hi Folks. I had initially put this up in the NYC Metro forum, but they're probably more suited to this forum.

These are two short clips from the Jersey Shore at 7am... I'm trying to confirm the location, but I believe it's the Toms River area.

https://www.facebook...345833808850346

https://www.facebook...345828525517541

fyi - you don't need a facebook profile to view the videos, they're public links.

7am too?  Where is this from?  Would seem to me that those were taken closer to low tide even?  Is that correct?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7am too?  Where is this from?  Would seem to me that those were taken closer to low tide even?  Is that correct?

He posted them at 7:41am & 7:14am respectively, not sure on the tides, I haven't look up that info. It's one of the beaches in the Toms River area, possibly Normandy.

Wind gusts now to 38 mph at TTN airport. Have a feeling this is the main story with this storm

Definitely the coastal flooding and wind are the main issues in our area. With a storm going vertically stacked to our south and then passing off to our east later, there won't be the usual inversion that we see (weaker than normal to non-existent). Some of the profiles I was looking at yesterday being predicted were pretty favorable for transporting wind down.

Definitely the coastal flooding and wind are the main issues in our area. With a storm going vertically stacked to our south and then passing off to our east later, there won't be the usual inversion that we see (weaker than normal to non-existent). Some of the profiles I was looking at yesterday being predicted were pretty favorable for transporting wind down.

So a good branch breaker or random tree falling type of wind issue with the we ground.

KWAL 061531Z 09033G46KT 6SM -TSRA BKN010CB OVC016 09/04 A2930 RMK AO2 PK WND 08046/1526 RAB15 TSB25 PRESFR LTGICOHD TS OHD MOV NNE P0001

WAL is just north of the SLP. Best low-level winds this afternoon/evening through about 3-6z tonight for DE/S NJ. Will someone exceed 60 mph down there?

Questions for experts here:

1) Storm pace does indeed to be quite slow; does this help accumulations? (my limited understanding would be the storm had more time to deepen AND there will be more precip delivered later when it's darker/colder)

2) Is the GFS, NAM, or Euro doing best right now on track of the storm? Or do they all equally suck?

Thanks!

Questions for experts here: a) Storm pace does indeed to be quite slow; does this help accumulations? (my limited understanding would be the storm had more time to deepen AND there will be more precip delivered later when it's darker/colder) B) Is the GFS, NAM, or Euro doing best right now on track of the storm? Or do they all equally suck? Thanks!

Excellent questions.  Need a met to respond.

Anyone care to recommend (if possible ha ha) a particular short-range model for forecasting radar presentation? A co-worker is trying to drive down I-95 from Newark, DE to College Park, MD for a 7:00 BB game b/w University of Maryland and North Carolina. Given the nature of this storm, I would think that I-95 would be safe to drive, but a real slow slog, unless rates are predicted to spike upward. If rates spike upward, that would make everything stick to the pavement. I am thinking that radar presentation (if accurate again ha ha) would show what kinds of rates would be predicted at hourly intervals from 4-7 pm. It's a huge game and tickets were a birthday present, so he really doesn't want to miss it. At the same time, he wants to be safe.

All very good notes. Something tells me we are in for a suprise

this was all modeled to. If anything is going to happen it will be late afternoon and evening. The nam is the only one really bullish on this, so my confidence is low. The stuff thurs night might be better than this whole storm. 

You can measure as often as necessary; the 6-hour rule applies only to clearing the board.  The actual snowfall is the maximum depth measured during that 6 hour period between clearings, even if it was an hour after you last cleared it. 

As far as my thoughts... the 0Z NAM was drier, some of the other guidance was a bit wetter.  The east wind off the ocean seems to be doing its thing, so now its kinda wait and see.  I'm nervous my coating-2" might be a bit low for TTN, but I'm not changing anything at this time.  Edison could make out a bit better being further northeast.

Ray - thanks - presumably, if someone only checks depth every 6 hours vs. at various points in the 6 hours, they could miss significant accumulations that were on the board in that timeframe, but then melted before the 6 hour measurement, correct?  I could see that being a significant source of error in reporting, from station to station/observer. 

Hope we can eke out at least 3" here...

I don't know of any good radar representations, but my recommendation would be for your co-worker to leave as early as possible to drive down to College Park. Right now the airport in DC is reporting a rain/snow mix but it's only going to get worse through the day. Getting there may not be that bad but driving back north after the game will be the big issue because there will already be heavy snow in College Park and it will be changing over to snow in Delaware. 

Anyone care to recommend (if possible ha ha) a particular short-range model for forecasting radar presentation? A co-worker is trying to drive down I-95 from Newark, DE to College Park, MD for a 7:00 BB game b/w University of Maryland and North Carolina. Given the nature of this storm, I would think that I-95 would be safe to drive, but a real slow slog, unless rates are predicted to spike upward. If rates spike upward, that would make everything stick to the pavement. I am thinking that radar presentation (if accurate again ha ha) would show what kinds of rates would be predicted at hourly intervals from 4-7 pm. It's a huge game and tickets were a birthday present, so he really doesn't want to miss it. At the same time, he wants to be safe.

I would go but wouldn't wait to the last minute. They are getting a rain/snow mix which should transition to snow. Roads should be just wet through mid-afternoon with the March sun - not sure what he'd run into after that. Rush hour traffic is bad enough down there on a good day.

I don't know of any good radar representations, but my recommendation would be for your co-worker to leave as early as possible to drive down to College Park. Right now the airport in DC is reporting a rain/snow mix but it's only going to get worse through the day. Getting there may not be that bad but driving back north after the game will be the big issue because there will already be heavy snow in College Park and it will be changing over to snow in Delaware.

Thanks for the response! I had forgotten that once he exits 95 in Delaware later tonight, the roads might be in bad shape.

Archived