SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/6-7 obs thread

tombo82685

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds have already gusted to 30mph at Trenton airport. If snow sticks to wires, there could be some serious power outages.

I can verify that with my long walk in Ewing this morning. Terrible, just awful morning...wind blew my hair all out of shape!

womp...

Models did great with weakening the initial band. It had me nervous yesterday but they were good.

Cross-check on the 0Z GFS and NAM to see how they're doing... (Edit: Added EC)

Woo all

Here's the forecasts for PHL:

6Z-12Z Wednesday morning

0Z NAM 0Z GFS 0Z EC Reality

0.14" 0.14" 0.13" 0.02" EC wins by 0.01"

12Z-18Z Wednesday morning

0.46" 0.21" 0.18"

18Z-0Z Wednesday afternoon

0.25" 0.12" 0.16"

0Z-6Z Wednesday evening

0.31" 0.03" 0.12"

6Z-12Z Thursday morning

0.15" 0.01" 0.05"

Here's the forecasts for DCA:

6Z-12Z Wednesday morning

0.65" 0.66" 0.48" 0.25" EC wins by a comparative landslide

0.41" 0.63" 0.43"

0.44" 0.32" 0.16"

0Z-6Z Wednesday evening

0.20" 0.01" 0.02"

6Z-12Z Thursday morning

0.02" 0.00" 0.00"

Here's the forecasts for NYC:

6Z-12Z Wednesday morning

0.00" 0.01" 0.00" 0.00" EC and NAM tie

0.08" 0.05" 0.03"

0.27" 0.11" 0.06"

0Z-6Z Wednesday evening

0.28" 0.10" 0.09"

6Z-12Z Thursday morning

0.32" 0.03" 0.12"

Now lets watch to see which is more "right".

They all sucked or dc and no victory should be awarded lol

40 F here (according to car thermometer) and wind seems to be picking up and getting gusty. I can't tell exact wind direction (I am literally looking at a flag while sitting in my car drinking coffee), but the flag seems to be bouncing around sometimes NNE and other times ENE so average it and call it NE, but that is far from scientific.

40 F here (according to car thermometer) and wind seems to be picking up and getting gusty. I can't tell exact wind direction (I am literally looking at a flag while sitting in my car drinking coffee), but the flag seems to be bouncing around sometimes NNE and other times ENE so average it and call it NE, but that is far from scientific.

PHL and VAY both reported 060 (ENE) at 8AM.  PNE had 070 (still ENE).

House is at 352' in the valley, short walk up the hill to back of property gets me to 720' for snow depth check.

White_Mtn_Wx shows 800'. I'm guessing he's about 12 miles SW of me.

I'm on a ridge a few miles south of Honey Brook. There is a spot within a mile of my home that is a few feet short of 1000'.

Currently sitting at 35f with a SN-/R mix

Now this is a nor'easter ob:

KGED 061341Z AUTO 08025G35KT 2SM +RA BKN011 OVC018 06/ A2956 RMK AO2 PK WND 08035/1339 TSNO $

By the way, DCA went briefly to 3/4 but now back up to 1.75 SM. Clearly, intensity driven precip types going on still and banding.

By the way, it seems like freezing levels ~ 1000' are capable of producing mostly snow down in MD-VA when a band hits. I'm not sure if that information will be useful to us later but something to consider since we are so warm currently.

By the way, it seems like freezing levels ~ 1000' are capable of producing mostly snow down in MD-VA when a band hits. I'm not sure if that information will be useful to us later but something to consider since we are so warm currently.

I have decent elev at 500 ft, temp is 38 and its snow when a heavier shower moves in and rain/sn mix when its light. Seems like precip is having a tough time getting north of pa tpk almost like some sort of convergence screaming do east from central nj

I have decent elev at 500 ft, temp is 38 and its snow when a heavier shower moves in and rain/sn mix when its light. Seems like precip is having a tough time getting north of pa tpk almost like some sort of convergence screaming do east from central nj

Yes, there is a deformation zone (this term gets throw out incorrectly by a lot of people) that is in the mid-levels. Winds have a more southerly component at say 700mb over MD while in PA they are more easterly. This is the convergence you are seeing. Precipitation is enhanced on the southern side, in this case. The low-level forcing/wair-moist advection over VA will move northward later today.

Strongest winds here since sandy. HM not to put you on the spot, but any ideas on accumulations if any? I'm just confused on what to expect

I could see 2-3 inches tonight in Edison as the back edge scrapes the area. Not too far to your south, it could even be higher. The problem we will have of course is the marginal surface temperatures/ratio component; which during a scraping, will keep accumulations mainly on cooler surfaces/lower overall.

I could see 2-3 inches tonight in Edison as the back edge scrapes the area. Not too far to your south, it could even be higher. The problem we will have of course is the marginal surface temperatures/ratio component; which during a scraping, will keep accumulations mainly on cooler surfaces/lower overall.

Thanks a lot HM. Very appreciated

I was finishing my drive into work (in Cherry Hill/Mt. Laurel, NJ area) while that last band (the one that just crossed the Delaware on its way west) went through.  The rain picked up a bit and I am not so sure their weren't a few very wet flakes mixed in (very few, but they were there nonetheless).  As soon as the precip let up so did the very, very occasional flake.  I should add that the walk from my car to my office was darn nasty.  The wind was blowing rain HARD right in my face, and it felt a heck of a lot colder than 40 F.  

On the flip side, I was just checking some hourly obs and it looks like even places like Pottsdown, Reading and Lancaster, PA are reporting rain rather than snow so I suspect that it is going to be a long, miserable day here in the immediate Philly area.    

driving in to work about a half hour ago one of the raindrops that hit my windshield sort of exploded into a mangled snowflake signature...didn't actually see the flake, but no mere raindrop leaves an outline like this one did...i'm calling it snow...otherwise, 40 degrees, windy, and intermittent rain here in wilmington...

winds are pretty impressive. ANy reports yet?

ssaw this out of NEwton square.

KPNE 061354Z 07024G40KT 10SM -RA BKN022 OVC036 04/00 A2981 RMK AO2 PK WND 07040/1350 RAB36 SLP094 P0000 T00440000

driving in to work about a half hour ago one of the raindrops that hit my windshield sort of exploded into a mangled snowflake signature...didn't actually see the flake, but no mere raindrop leaves an outline like this one did...i'm calling it snow...otherwise, 40 degrees, windy, and intermittent rain here in wilmington...

That is exactly what I was seeing over here on the Jersey side about 45 minutes ago.  As soon as the band passed, those semi-, sort-of snowflakes disappeared, too.  

KPNE 061354Z 07024G40KT 10SM -RA BKN022 OVC036 04/00 A2981 RMK AO2 PK WND 07040/1350 RAB36 SLP094 P0000 T00440000

not too bad. seem to have quieted a little as the band has moved on. i guees that was a bogus 50 @ newton?

not too bad. seem to have quieted a little as the band has moved on. i guees that was a bogus 50 @ newton?

I have no idea if it was bogus but that is a very impressive metar. It is definitely possible someone hit 50 if PNE hit 46 mph.

Hi Folks. I had initially put this up in the NYC Metro forum, but they're probably more suited to this forum.

These are two short clips from the Jersey Shore at 7am... I'm trying to confirm the location, but I believe it's the Toms River area.

https://www.facebook...345833808850346

https://www.facebook...345828525517541

fyi - you don't need a facebook profile to view the videos, they're public links.

There are partially melted flakes here when precip is heavy

Archived