joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/6-7 obs thread

tombo82685

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Famartin. How do you have time to compare every model vs reality? Are you retired?

:lol:  No where near.  But life is boring in Elko ;)  And its not really that hard, I just grabbed the text output from earlier and will update it every 6 hours with the actual results.  It didn't take that long, really... maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

The regional radar is pretty interesting.  I am not sure what it means (if anything) for our sensible weather, but the storm itself is rotating major bands of precipitation almost due west into Central and Southern New Jersey, while at the same time, the low way up in the Canadian maritimes still seems to be sending a light showers not only west into northern New England but also (seemingly) southwesterly down the coast into Southern New England and even into Northern NJ where they merge with the bands coming west from the closer storm.  I doubt it means anything, but it is interesting.    

The regional radar is pretty interesting.  I am not sure what it means (if anything) for our sensible weather, but the storm itself is rotating major bands of precipitation almost due west into Central and Southern New Jersey, while at the same time, the low way up in the Canadian maritimes still seems to be sending a light showers not only west into northern New England but also (seemingly) southwesterly down the coast into Southern New England and even into Northern NJ where they merge with the bands coming west from the closer storm.  I doubt it means anything, but it is interesting.    

Those bands in central NJ look worse than reality due to bright banding.

I think we will meet the gusts, but sustained does not seem that high.

In your average city or suburban environment that's not unusual, the surface roughness makes it hard to get significant sustained winds.  Too many trees and buildings.  Its always windier at an open airport (or on the coast).*

* except if its SVR convection, which is too localized to hit the airport or coast

In your average city or suburban environment that's not unusual, the surface roughness makes it hard to get significant sustained winds. Too many trees and buildings. Its always windier at an open airport (or on the coast).*

* except if its SVR convection, which is too localized to hit the airport or coast

Thanks ray. We just have a advisory out, was just wondering the diff in criteria. Getting some reports of power outages around town. Still nothing that is noteworthy.

Thanks ray. We just have a advisory out, was just wondering the diff in criteria. Getting some reports of power outages around town. Still nothing that is noteworthy.

If they don't think there will be gusts to 58, then it would be advisory, so that's probably what they think. 

Check here for some NJ gust reports...

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/raws_ca_monitor.cgi?state=NJ&type=&rawsflag=290&timeobs=12&day1=22&month1=9&year1=2007&hour1=22&orderby=e

Archived