SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/6-7 obs thread

tombo82685

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is juiced up after 00z tonight. getting pretty excited for round 2 up this way.. 0.5 - 0.75 qpf in sw CT, 0.1 - 0.25 for philly, 0.25+ northeast of there towards nyc, though it should be noted it falls over a long period..

So more light snow with 0 accum? 

Anyway, don't know if this was posted yet. Its loaded with Gigi: 

{http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20130307_Snow_tonight__Uh__really___.html}

Regarding the "bust" of yesterday's forecast... and I put "bust" in quotes because I think locally our mets (both in here and at NWS... I don't watch local news mets so I don't count them) either nailed this darn good or were, at least, very aware of the things that could... and eventually did... go wrong in the Philly region and openly acknowledged them, I think it is important to remember the past.  It never fails that, when we have good snow seasons in these parts, mother nature seems to find a way to give us snow.  In years like 86/87, 95/96, 02/03, 09/10, it seemed like whenever there was a marginal situation, things broke right and we got just enough of whatever was needed to give us snow.  On the other hand, in bad seasons... and let's be honest, most of our seasons ARE bad from a snow lover's perspective... mother nature always seems to find a way to deny us or minimize our snow.  If we... well, if I.... had remembered this simple truism, I would have been fine yesterday (and in February, too) because I would have known that mother nature had simply already decided that she wasn't going to give us much snow this year.  Obviously, this becomes easier and more apparent as a season goes on so a heartbreak or two is almost a given early in winter, but, by February and definitely by March, we should.... er, I mean I should... be smarter and more honest about extremely marginal situations during crappy winters.  They just don't deliver.    

So, how much are we getting tonight?!!   :whistle:     

Yeah I'm with you on that, although Eric Horst was showing that dip in our area so he went 3-6 but that didn't even pan out, that was a concern that I kept seeing on the euro snowfall maps and then Eric's too, it just turn out to be nothing, and yes 2001 was at least to me a much harder bust. 

My story last night was actually on the snow bust, what went wrong, and I interviewed Eric Horst and he explained how the storm busted in Lancaster County.  IN our newsroom here I actually told people it's not going to snow. I didn't go public with that prediction, because EVERYONE was calling from somewhere between 3-12 inches (depending on what news outlet you watched)....still didn't help the people on the street I talked to whose comments for the majority weren't acceptable on air!

I take issue with this statement. 

Since some people seem to have not noticed... I will state here that I kicked everyone's proverbial forecast butt with my "up to 2 inches" call, highlighting the potential that it could be little to nothing. 

Archived