• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 5-6 Storm Discussion

Poimen

Last report before I hit the road, sitting down eating a sandwich, dressed in a couple layers with my gortex boots.  I think we are in a very good spot, timing worked out about perfect fo us to go up and be able to do this.  I am a little concerned about conditions going down hill quickly once we get off 95 and head west, could slow us down a bit.  Hopefully were in there by midnight!  As expected, the absolute highest totals should be just off to our west in the Shenandoah National Park.  I am ok with that, a couple thousand feet of elevation on the eastward facing slopes will really ring out the moisture.  Still, were in a pretty good spot to see 18-20", who knows depending on how the banding sets up, but I would expect the heaviest amounts along the Skyline just to the SSW of Front Royal, maybe 28".  Maybe will get to take a treck west early Thursday to see where the yardstick pings, but it is not going to be far, <20 miles, which still may be a feat given the roads.  Come hell or epic totals, were coming back Thursday afternoon.

Just right of center mass in the high prob 12" hatch, which matches up nicely with the SREF 24" total combined SN/IP

day1_psnow_gt_12.gif

Good luck, drive safe! I am up in Herndon/Reston (IAD), I might actually see 10", which I haven't seen since 2002.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last report before I hit the road, sitting down eating a sandwich, dressed in a couple layers with my gortex boots.  I think we are in a very good spot, timing worked out about perfect fo us to go up and be able to do this.  I am a little concerned about conditions going down hill quickly once we get off 95 and head west, could slow us down a bit.  Hopefully were in there by midnight!  As expected, the absolute highest totals should be just off to our west in the Shenandoah National Park.  I am ok with that, a couple thousand feet of elevation on the eastward facing slopes will really ring out the moisture.  Still, were in a pretty good spot to see 18-20", who knows depending on how the banding sets up, but I would expect the heaviest amounts along the Skyline just to the SSW of Front Royal, maybe 28".  Maybe will get to take a treck west early Thursday to see where the yardstick pings, but it is not going to be far, <20 miles, which still may be a feat given the roads.  Come hell or epic totals, were coming back Thursday afternoon.

Just right of center mass in the high prob 12" hatch, which matches up nicely with the SREF 24" total combined SN/IP

day1_psnow_gt_12.gif

wow, good luck

I wish I could go up there, but Delta can't seem to get in the land-barge and make it north... I chase with Franklin and Bevo some though

Yep. I was just about to come on here and say I've seen multiple reports of snow starting to mix in Botetourt County just north of Roanoke. Also saw a report from Radford as well.

If I remember the Blacksburg AFD from this afternoon they said the Roanoke Valley would change over sometime around 3am this may be some overachiever on the way.

Edit: temp down to 36 dew of 34 winds more importantly out of the north northeast now rather than the east southeast.

We are at 40.4˚ in Saluda, and it is completely clear. Temps have dropped about 3˚ in the last half hour. Also, was looking at 24 hour WV loop. I really thought the ULL would be turning more easterly by now. Looks to cross NC at the GA/SC boarder. Is it nowcasting further south than expected? Noticed the change in the flow to a southerly fetch in Indiana, wrap around starting?

Edit:...and five minutes later it up to 42.6˚... warm nose??

Radar is also showing some heavier returns south of Roanoke. Leads me to believe it's wet snow or lots of sleet. I really need to buy a dual-pol add on for GRAE..

Guess it was heavy wet snow.  :lol:

It's half rain half snow right now.  36*

We are at 40.4˚ in Saluda, and it is completely clear. Temps have dropped about 3˚ in the last half hour. Also, was looking at 24 hour WV loop. I really thought the ULL would be turning more easterly by now. Looks to cross NC at the GA/SC boarder. Is it nowcasting further south than expected? Noticed the change in the flow to a southerly fetch in Indiana, wrap around starting?

Edit:...and five minutes later it up to 42.6˚... warm nose??

It's coming shortly! Wind is really starting to howl now in Weaverville. In the last hour we have dropped from 42.9° to 39.3°.

Sustained wind at 31mph with gusts to 43 the past hour here in marietta.

The wind is absolutely howling out there right now, sounds like our windows are about to blow out! Saw a little hail today as well as the line of storms pushed through the area. Decent thunder and lightning too. Curoius to see if the north Ga. mountains can sneak out a little snow by tomorrow morning.

Good luck to you guys in VA...I hope it's not too crippling for you. I saw a line of power trucks heading up I-81 this morning.

We might get a little action in NETN...dropped from 47 to 39 in last 1 hour.

I may be wrong but I think we wake up to a wintry scene tomorrow. Looks like some of the best rates for the Tricities hits around 8ish....

Temp is 39 and its crazy windy too, in north JC. I already see precip breaking out over the mountains and also back west of Knoxville. Hoping we get a couple of heavy shots in the am.

Yep...here in Kpt too...looks like Buddy already seeing some heavy stuff in Roanoke

Archived