CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
First Week of March Nor'Easter

Capt. Adam

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the NAM usually bad...I thought it was better in the short term.  So, are we saying that we aren't buying the NAM at this point?

The image I just posted was the 0Z NAM forecast the night before the New England Blizzard in early Feb.

So no, I wouldn't buy it.

It verified correctly for New England though.   No model is going to get it right for everybody.

Just look at the almighty ECM today, it's trending northward towards the GFS / NAM solution. 

One shift is NOT a trend. If it continues moving north at 0z, then it's a trend.

It verified correctly for New England though.   No model is going to get it right for everybody.

Just look at the almighty ECM today, it's trending northward towards the GFS / NAM solution. 

We're not in New England.  The point you have apparently missed is that the NAM can be insanely wrong.

The NAM is such a useless pile i dont even know where to start... The EURO nailed just about every aspect of the new england blizzard fro a couple days out, inlcuding the excessive qpf amounts and its placement of the band over CT to Boston...So saying the NAM verified because it was right about someone getting 2-3 feet of snow is just...its useless, end of story

But didn't you guys hear? It's dumb to toss any model. And LOL at Ray's NAM graphic coming to the surface. Ray, don't you know we have support from the JMA this time? :)

For real, we are going to have to watch the GFS this evening and see how the vertical motion/frontogen fields evolve. Our area's biggest problem on the models that matter is that we get our lift during the worst time of day and during a time when the storm is "cycling" if you will (don't get me wrong, the banding is there and lift is there but it isn't as good over our region).

The Philly snow hole can stay alive and well with a GFS like scenario unfolding while areas SW and NE of us add on...

But didn't you guys hear? It's dumb to toss any model. And LOL at Ray's NAM graphic coming to the surface. Ray, don't you know we have support from the JMA this time? :)For real, we are going to have to watch the GFS this evening and see how the vertical motion/frontogen fields evolve. Our area's biggest problem on the models that matter is that we get our lift during the worst time of day and during a time when the storm is "cycling" if you will (don't get me wrong, the banding is there and lift is there but it isn't as good over our region).The Philly snow hole can stay alive and well with a GFS like scenario unfolding while areas SW and NE of us add on...

and just like that, the GFS highlights that beautifully!!

Still gets .75" into SE PA, but its ugly looking @ 6 hr increments:

eva5e3a9.jpg

But didn't you guys hear? It's dumb to toss any model. And LOL at Ray's NAM graphic coming to the surface. Ray, don't you know we have support from the JMA this time? :)

For real, we are going to have to watch the GFS this evening and see how the vertical motion/frontogen fields evolve. Our area's biggest problem on the models that matter is that we get our lift during the worst time of day and during a time when the storm is "cycling" if you will (don't get me wrong, the banding is there and lift is there but it isn't as good over our region).

The Philly snow hole can stay alive and well with a GFS like scenario unfolding while areas SW and NE of us add on...

Lock it in. I am SW of HM. Why does NCEP run the NAM if it sucks so bad? A lot of the short range models are hits as well...don't they initialize off the same data ingestion? SO, is it a fair supposition to say that if the NCEP model suites are smoking crack and the NCEP globals and their short range counterparts are initializing with the same data pool and playing to their biases then it is watch the Euro and nowcast? 

Mount holly

THE TEMPFORECAST WAS BLENDED DOWN FROM GUIDANCE USING THE COLDER 12Z NAMMOS TEMPS.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT...BANDING SIGNATURE FOR NEW JERSEY AND DELAWARE....BASICALLYI95 EASTWARD. SHOULD BE COLD ENOUGH FOR WIDESPREAD SNOW AND EXPECTINGHAZARDOUS TRAVEL. TIMING OF THE DETAILS A LITTLE UNCERTAIN BUT ROADTREATMENTS OR PLOWING APPEARS LIKELY.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Ed Hanna just went into boss mode.

Says 1-3" for the lehigh valley but if it shifts 50 miles north we are gonna get big snows

Yes they are associated with Accuweather, but WFMZ is the most accurate by far in the area.  Ed always seems to be spot on with predictions.  They are conservative, but accurate. 

Yes they are associated with Accuweather, but WFMZ is the most accurate by far in the area.  Ed always seems to be spot on with predictions.  They are conservative, but accurate. 

i know, if ed wasnt associated with accuweather he would be a helluva met.

6ABC

2-4 philly to trenton

4-8 just south of philly

C-2 ABE 

i know, if ed wasnt associated with accuweather he would be a helluva met.

6ABC

2-4 philly to trenton

4-8 just south of philly

C-2 ABE 

This is one tough forecast.  It's March, snowfall will be predicated by elevation and rates.  Higher rates may be south and east of the area while elevations to the north may be all snow.  I have a bad feeling for the valley. 

This is one tough forecast.  It's March, snowfall will be predicated by elevation and rates.  Higher rates may be south and east of the area while elevations to the north may be all snow.  I have a bad feeling for the valley. 

I dont. I'm in the hills north of the valley and everyone should do alright. Ed hanna did say it will be all snow for the entire event for the LV with rain mixing to the south. I think we will see advisory level snow at this point., I wont hop on the warning snows till after the 00zs

Archived