joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Week of March Nor'Easter

Capt. Adam

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest Wxsim with 18z have the snow starting in NW Chesco by 3am Wed morning getting moderate by 9am and heavy by noon. Snow should continue at varying rates till after midnight with between 9" to 11" of wet snow above 600ft in the NW Philly burbs.....subject to change ....but with me leaving for Phils Spring Training on an early AM flight on Wednesday it may happen. My wife will be manning the measuring duties and I will have the webcam up and running to monitor

Latest Wxsim with 18z have the snow starting in NW Chesco by 3am Wed morning getting moderate by 9am and heavy by noon. Snow should continue at varying rates till after midnight with between 9" to 11" of wet snow above 600ft in the NW Philly burbs.....subject to change ....but with me leaving for Phils Spring Training on an early AM flight on Wednesday it may happen. My wife will be manning the measuring duties and I will have the webcam up and running to monitor

thanks for info.

enjoy your trip.

I just got home from the rockies and now trying to figure all this madness.

I should also say the bl issues are real in my eyes. If we don't get the heavy rates during the day all that precip will probably be wasted in non accum snow or rain...the real deal may be later on in the aft into night when the ccb starts to crank if that does occur.

Excellent write up. Thanks tombo

I should also say the bl issues are real in my eyes. If we don't get the heavy rates during the day all that precip will probably be wasted in non accum snow or rain...the real deal may be later on in the aft into night when the ccb starts to crank if that does occur.

we've seen that happen a few times already this year, 33/34 & cold rain... at face value, it seems "more" likely now if for no other reason than that we are on the wrong side of met winter...it would be great to get a multi-inch blast after sundown, but this winter will likely go out like the warm beer fart it's been all year in marlton/mt. laurel/tonyland...

Paul, considering your experience with the success/failure of Weathersim to verify, what are your thoughts on its current forecast?

Have fun at spring training!

Quick post here; I'll try to get back a little later...

The ECMWF is slower than the GFS with the arrival of the 500mb low. But it isn't just that, it is also very slow as it wraps up, occludes and becomes vertically stacked. The aggregate here in deceleration allows the upstream northern s/w to become more of an influence. This added momentum + the blocking nudges this south off the Mid Atlantic Coast before resuming a NE motion.

IF this is incorrect (it is likely overboard and the GFS is likely not enough), it is quite possible the comma head associated with the seaward ECMWF will adjust, once again, NW tonight. These subtle little changes in speed will make a huge difference in comma head placement.

The process of vertically stacking is not something we see a whole lot near the VA/NC border, interacting with the warm Gulf Stream etc. It is very possible the models are not properly indicating the banding potential in our area. Any small timing differences in the V.S. process, mid-level low's arrival and next incoming northern stream s/w will make a huge difference for a tiny area.

See y'all later

The ECMWF is slower than the GFS with the arrival of the 500mb low. But it isn't just that, it is also very slow as it wraps up, occludes and becomes vertically stacked. The aggregate here in deceleration allows the upstream northern s/w to become more of an influence. This added momentum + the blocking nudges this south off the Mid Atlantic Coast before resuming a NE motion.

IF this is incorrect (it is likely overboard and the GFS is likely not enough), it is quite possible the comma head associated with the seaward ECMWF will adjust, once again, NW tonight. These subtle little changes in speed will make a huge difference in comma head placement.

The process of vertically stacking is not something we see a whole lot near the VA/NC border, interacting with the warm Gulf Stream etc. It is very possible the models are not properly indicating the banding potential in our area. Any small timing differences in the V.S. process, mid-level low's arrival and next incoming northern stream s/w will make a huge difference for a tiny area.

See y'all later

awesome analysis HM, thanks for sharing this. What is your take on the gefs? I know they are starting to get maybe out of there usefulness. Do you believe the means accum qpf or could it be a fact of the lower resolution not picking up on the cycling you were talking about earlier?

awesome analysis HM, thanks for sharing this. What is your take on the gefs? I know they are starting to get maybe out of there usefulness. Do you believe the means accum qpf or could it be a fact of the lower resolution not picking up on the cycling you were talking about earlier?

So if this were to happen, Baltimore and southward would get screwed and PHL north would get in the jackpot?

Well considering if I wouldn't have shoveled all the inches it forecasted 3 days out we would probably be at 50" instead of the 20+ inches to date. If it still has it by tomorrow evening then I would begin to believe.....temps and sun angle will not be a problem out here but how much precip....should be interesting and maybe one more to follow around St Patrick's day just to round things off...

Paul, considering your experience with the success/failure of Weathersim to verify, what are your thoughts on its current forecast?

Have fun at spring training!

See y'all later

Thank you for sharing, HM. Love reading your work!

See y'all later

Love this post. This is what this forum is all about and why HM is elite...This is a fantastic example of highly qualified Met not just reading the models and posting the data that you and I can read but rather examing, comparing, extrapolating the data given him.

Archived