• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Week of March Nor'Easter

Capt. Adam

Thanks Ray... and especially thanks for keeping my frustration of a lackluster Winter and over-zealous :weenie: mind in check.  You have valid points that simply can't be argued.  

No problem, I come to serve. ;)

The model differences with this one have made my head spin more than once.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Advisories and warnings just went up from the NWS in State College... was very surprised to see 2-4" advisory in Schuylkill County well to the NW of the Lehigh Valley for 2-4" and Lebanon 3-6" ... seems a bit robust, no?  I was only expecting an advisory for 1-3" variety in the Berks-Lehigh-Northampton corridor later today, and I know it's a different office/jurisdiction but... 2-4" NW makes me wonder.

post-8610-0-93027400-1362503038_thumb.pn

I don't think they're drier than the OP but they've made a pretty substantial shift since 0Z last night...

0Z

attachicon.gif00zgfsensemblep72072.gif

6Z

attachicon.gif06zgfsensemblep72072.gif

12Z

attachicon.gif12zgfsensemblep72072.gif

well look where he is from and that will tell you why he thought that. I think 1-3 looks good for the region higher elev like western chesco and maybe my work could squeak out a little more with the elevation.

Advisories and warnings just went up from the NWS in State College... was very surprised to see 2-4" advisory in Schuylkill County well to the NW of the Lehigh Valley for 2-4" and Lebanon 3-6" ... seems a bit robust, no?  I was only expecting an advisory for 1-3" variety in the Berks-Lehigh-Northampton corridor later today, and I know it's a different office/jurisdiction but... 2-4" NW makes me wonder.

could be just for southern parts of that county, since they don't split the county.

could be just for southern parts of that county, since they don't split the county.

Yeah we are under one here too, suprised as they went 5-8, according to the recent trends I'd think maybe more a WWA 2-4 but am hoping I'm wrong.

* LOCATIONS...YORK AND LANCASTER COUNTIES.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

Yeah we are under one here too, suprised as they went 5-8, according to the recent trends I'd think maybe more a WWA 2-4 but am hoping I'm wrong.

* LOCATIONS...YORK AND LANCASTER COUNTIES.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

There could be a huge difference from northern parts of county to southern parts. Very interesting storm for our area. I still like being on the fringe for these storms. The cutoffs are extreme, but if you happen to get into accumulating snows, you often end up good surprises.

EC is torchy warm... at best it might be snow by midnight Wednesday night at PHL.  0.45" has fallen by then.  Maybe 0.10" falls as snow but verbatim surface is 34.  It warms up Thursday (so whatever falls on Wednesday night melts off) and then another lobe of precip rotates down Thursday night for ~0.15" more.  About 0.70" at PHL.

Frozen 0.40"?  I don't get soundings this early... sorry for the IMBY

No, total from early Wednesday thru Friday morning.  0.11" 7AM-7PM Wednesday, 0.06" 7PM-7AM Wednesday night, 0.00" 7AM-7PM Thursday, 0.15" 7PM-7AM Thursday night, 0.07" 7AM-7PM Friday.

So I don't know if I'm approaching this right at all, but I've been watching the thermal profiles using Twisterdata.com and I have some concerns over the surface and low level temperatures. I have here the profile for near KPTW with the 0 degree line highlighted in blue. So to me this looks like the precipitation is falling as mostly snow but then right near the surface temperatures increase to above freezing. I'm assuming this will limit the amount of accumulation, but how much??? Even with these warmer temperatures are we still able to get 2 to 4 inches? Would these be limited to grassy surfaces? 

post-5452-0-96018900-1362512721_thumb.pn

So I don't know if I'm approaching this right at all, but I've been watching the thermal profiles using Twisterdata.com and I have some concerns over the surface and low level temperatures. I have here the profile for near KPTW with the 0 degree line highlighted in blue. So to me this looks like the precipitation is falling as mostly snow but then right near the surface temperatures increase to above freezing. I'm assuming this will limit the amount of accumulation, but how much??? Even with these warmer temperatures are we still able to get 2 to 4 inches? Would these be limited to grassy surfaces? 

If the precip rates come down hard enough, the yes. Seems like its pretty shallow. only 308 ft of elevation though..... Also, what time of day was this sounding?

I grabbed the 12z GFS 30 hour forecast. But it doesn't look much different 3 hours before and 3 hours after. Guess the other thing throwing off my forecast is looking at the SREFs. Again looking at KPTW snow totals are anywhere from 3 to 13 inches!! I'm just so stumped. I'm thinking of sticking with the lower amounts due to the thermal profile and my thoughts on the ground being warm. 

If the precip rates come down hard enough, the yes. Seems like its pretty shallow. only 308 ft of elevation though..... Also, what time of day was this sounding?

post-5452-0-02960900-1362514174_thumb.jp

I grabbed the 12z GFS 30 hour forecast. But it doesn't look much different 3 hours before and 3 hours after. Guess the other thing throwing off my forecast is looking at the SREFs. Again looking at KPTW snow totals are anywhere from 3 to 13 inches!! I'm just so stumped. I'm thinking of sticking with the lower amounts due to the thermal profile and my thoughts on the ground being warm. 

tis' better to bust low than high* GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE METS OUT THERE. Thanks god im not a forecaster by profession!

Archived