• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
First Week of March Nor'Easter

Capt. Adam

I think right now we have to see how much would fall late Wednesday into Wednesday night in terms of snow. That would be the best time to get any accumulation. Still very shaky in terms of getting snow say if your near Philly and interior South Jersey. I think the Euro is trending toward the GFS a bit. Still, a very complicated forecast.

Yeah it's odd to see the gfs leading the way. Most of the models have trended that way today. Would be a major score for a American model this year. It was very highly disregarded yesterday.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can throw in ILG too?.... Sorry for the IMBY question, but I am legitimately curious to see if being SW of Philly is doing anything in terms of "maximizing" the QPF and minimizing warm air intrusion.

ILG...  0.69".  Rates aren't great... generally less than 0.05"/hour which translates, in a decent atmosphere, to 0.5"/hour or less.  With marginal temps it might not stick at all.  One good thing is that the best rates ARE after dark Wednesday evening, so there's hope there for accumulations. 

ABE... 0.16"... rates are atrocious but its colder.  I'd guess the EC gives ABE about an inch of snow.

Taking a look at the individual GEFS members regarding snowfall, just about every single member is a massive hit from about 40 miles northwest of the city, northward and eastward with several members showing most of the area getting at least high end advisory snowfall. Long Island is mostly rain.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/12zsnowf096.html

ILG...  0.69".  Rates aren't great... generally less than 0.05"/hour which translates, in a decent atmosphere, to 0.5"/hour or less.  With marginal temps it might not stick at all.  One good thing is that the best rates ARE after dark Wednesday evening, so there's hope there for accumulations. 

ABE... 0.16"... rates are atrocious but its colder.  I'd guess the EC gives ABE about an inch of snow.

Thanks, Ray.

I'm very, very curious to see what Mt. Holly has to say at 3:30 when they potentially issue watches. Would guess they incude Cecil, New Castle, Delaware, Philadelphia, Chester and maybe a few in SNJ where the criterion is 4" not 6"...

Thanks, Ray.

I'm very, very curious to see what Mt. Holly has to say at 3:30 when they potentially issue watches. Would guess they incude Cecil, New Castle, Delaware, Philadelphia, Chester and maybe a few in SNJ where the criteria is 4" not 6"...

They sound like they are hugging the gfs and SREFS in that case I assume advisorys would be issued all the way up to alletown

Question - It may be considered weenie, but ya never learn till you ask... living close to the New Jersey coast is there anyway we can see accumulating snowfall totals that match inland areas if things go best case scenario or even a mixture of model solutions? I am not looking for specific amounts just trying to gauge what impacts down this way for those of us in limbo forum wise between nyc and philly... Or is the setup not conducive no matter the track for anything worth getting excited about down this way? Thanks guys

They sound like they are hugging the gfs and SREFS in that case I assume advisorys would be issued all the way up to alletown

Well, I don't think our NWS office hugs any model..... I think they happen to agree with the model output from the GFS more than the ECMWF as they've pointed out that post-Sandy, it's accuracy within 5-days has not been stellar in our area. :-)

I don't think they'd issue advisories so far out.. those would typically go up when the event is right on our doorstep, right?

Well, I don't think our NWS office hugs any model..... I think they happen to agree with the model output from the GFS more than the ECMWF as they've pointed out that post-Sandy, it's accuracy within 5-days has not been stellar in our area. :-)

I don't think they'd issue advisories so far out.. those would typically go up when the event is right on our doorstep, right?

Most likely.  If they want to issue watches, they'd go up today probably, but not likely advisories.

Chester and Cecil get the watch (criteria 4" or more)

WWUS41 KPHI 041951WSWPHIURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ251 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013...A POWERFUL NOREASTER WILL CAUSE WINTRY TRAVEL HAZARDS FOR PORTIONSOF OUR AREA WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MDZ008-PAZ101-102-050400-/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0004.130306T0900Z-130306T2300Z/CECIL-WESTERN CHESTER-EASTERN CHESTER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ELKTON...HONEY BROOK...OXFORD...WEST CHESTER...KENNET SQUARE251 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGHWEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGHWEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.* LOCATIONS...A PORTION OF SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA TO THE WEST OF  PHILADELPHIA AND SMALL PORTION OF NORTHEAST MARYLAND. * HAZARD TYPES...SNOW. * ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES...ALONG WITH  POSSIBLY A TRACE OF ICE. ELEVATIONS IN WESTERN CHESTER COUNTY  MAY HAVE HIGHER AMOUNTS.  * TIMING...MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL PROBABLY BEGIN BETWEEN  MIDNIGHT AND 5 AM WEDNESDAY AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY AS  MOSTLY SNOW. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY FOR A TIME. TEMPERATURES  ABOVE FREEZING WILL ASSIST MELTING ON TREATED SURFACES.  NEVERTHELESS...SLUSHY ACCUMULATIONS ARE LIKELY THROUGHOUT THIS  AREA DURING THE DAY. THERE IS A SMALL CHANCE THAT ENOUGH WET  SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE TO CAUSE A FEW BRANCHES TO BREAK AND FORCE  ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES.* WINDS...NORTHEAST WINDS SHOULD GUST TO 35 MPH AT TIMES DURING  THE SNOW LIMITING VISIBILITY TO A HALF OR BRIEFLY EVEN A  QUARTER MILE.* ENDING TIME...SNOW MAY CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING WITH A  SMALL FURTHER ACCUMULATION.* EXPANSION OF WATCH AREA...ITS POSSIBLE THE WATCH AREA MAY NEED  EXPANSION TO LARGER SECTIONS OF EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA...SOUTHERN  NEW JERSEY AND NORTHERN DELAWARE IN FUTURE FORECAST ISSUANCE'S  TUESDAY. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANTSNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.&&$$DRAG

Philly just got "NAM'd"....Shows similar precip pattern as the JMA...but its the NAM and it is a terrible model, but leds credence to the GFS

actually, the NAM destroyed the GFS this year during connecticut's 40" snowstorm.   GFS had around a foot at most predicted. 

Archived